Atrac Codecs...

Rate this topic

danielbb90

Ok,

Heres the thing...

I have loads of mp3's at 192kbps...

What atrac codec could I transfer these to without any loss in sound quality and without using too high a bitrate so I don't use up space I don't have to...

I know 128kbs mp3 is 64kbs atrac (yeh?) but what is 192kbps mp3?

Thanks, and I hope you understand what I'm asking... I nearly confused myself writeing this?

:)

Transcoding from a lossy to another lossy codec will always result in quality loss, no matter how high you set the bitrate. The higher you set the bitrate, the less obvious it will be though. The '128k mp3 equals the quality of 64k a3+' relation is just one of sony's myths. Re-rip directly to the final codec/bitrate whenever possible for better fidelity. Otherwise choose a bitrate slightly above (i.e. Hi-SP) to keep transcoding losses as small as possible without wasting too much space. If you have a 2nd gen Hi-MD you don't need to transcode.

What I would do if I were me, and concerned on sound quality, or lack of, is record the same song at different bitrates and see what happens. I've got an NH1 also, and I usually just fill up a disc with MP3's. No matter what, they will never sound as good as a CD, so try a few for the best compromise of sound and space.

Have fun,

Bob

I would go for 192atrac3plus, as you wont loose much information and it will sound around about the same as the original. atrac3plus is good with low bitrates, but higher ones it tends to be about equal to mp3 IMO

Does this include 256 and 352?

Thanks...

I'll keep them at 64kbps until I get the cd's! :) Then there going to 352!

Does this include 256 and 352?

Thanks...

I'll keep them at 64kbps until I get the cd's! :) Then there going to 352!

192, 256, 352 are probably slightly better than MP3, but not by very much. 48 and 64kb/s is where the biggest difference between atrac and mp3 can be seen

I use atrac 192 for mp3s, and 256 for CD's