Questions Regarding Agc

Rate this topic

javertim

I know, I know -- AGC is "the enemy of live recorders," but I've found that a certain event that I frequently attend just works better with AGC because of its rather extreme dynamics. I find it much easier to "normalize" the volumes of this AGC recording once it's on the computer rather than the line-in recording made of the same event ...

My question is as follows ... My older recordings using AGC were made on my Sony N-707, which as everyone knows lacks the "low sens" and "high sens" features. However, I now have a Sharp DR-77 which *does* have the high and low sensitivity options, and I was thinking about trying to record said event using my "old" method as well as the new one to see which I like better ... But is the "standard" AGC on my older N-707 more along the lines of the "high" or "low" sensitivity on my new unit, or is it in the middle of the two? I was thinking about using "low" as to reduce / eliminate the minor clipping that would occur with my old recordings, but if it's the same on the new model as it was on the old, I don't really see the point.

Also, could I get some user opinions on AGC. Other than the fact that it compresses and reduces the natural dynamics of what you're recording, are there any other reasons to stay away from it? Just wondering ...

Thanks! :-)

Use whatever works for you.

I find that AGC screws up anything with sudden bursts of loud noise, making a whoosh as it tries to compensate for things like a bass drum beat.

If you want to hear AGC making a mess of things, listen to the John M ayer blues recording in the Yahoo mailbox livefrommd (at) yahoo.com , password 1minidisc1.

The MZ-N707 was on high sensitivity all the time, so the low sensitivity setting on your Sharp will act differently.

I urge you to give manual volume a try though, especially if you have a Sharp where it's easy to adjust.

Oh, I've used manual levels for most of my really good recordings. I vastly prefer the sound of manual, but the audio is a pain in the butt to master where volume is concerned. I want to be able to hear the quiet stuff just as easily as the louder stuff.

However, I do know what you mean by "whooshing" sound. That's my biggest gripe with AGC, too. Oh, well. :-)

Hey!

I have sort of a similiar question regarding the AGC. I just got the Hi-MD NHF800 and I want to use the automatic recording because I don't like playing with the levels (REC Volume?) while I'm enjoying the live experience. But I would like to set the AGC for best sounding recording. So if I'm at a club concert should I:

1. set the MIC AGC to Standard or Loud Music?

and

2 Set The MIC SENS to Sens High or Sens Low?

How does each setting effect the recording differently? The manual is very unclear on these matters. Thanks for any help you can offer!

On HiMDs... some notes, not really in any particular order..

AGC "standard" and "loud music" share the same threshold, the same attack, same compression ratio, &c. The only difference is that "loud music" has a much longer hold/decay time.

How it works really depends on the sensitivity of your microphone. [Assuming, of course, that you're using a mic and the HiMD's mic in.]

If you have a really sensitive mic, AGC will totally foul your recordings.

If you're recording speech, most mics will do a decent job using the AGC.

If you're recording music, regardless of what mic you're using, go for manual levels. You will seriously regret the affect the AGC has.

I have SP-TFB-2s, which are not super-sensitive; actually, they seem to sit right at the ideal threshold for the NH700's AGC, at least when I'm recording speech and "average" SPL sounds [i.e. 70-90dB SPL]. Louder sounds will foul up too often, though "loud music" can help that some.

--------

So if I'm at a club concert should I:

1. set the MIC AGC to Standard or Loud Music?

Neither. Use manual levels. Unless you are stone cold deaf, you will regret using the AGC for amped music.

2 Set The MIC SENS to Sens High or Sens Low?

You should only ever have to use high sens for recording very quiet sounds. Trying to record loud sounds with high sens will result in two things: clipping at the mic preamp, and a greatly increased noise floor in the recording.

If you're at a loud concert, you will hate yourself in the morning if you use AGC.

You don't have to adjust Manual Volume during the concert--you just have to set it low enough so that you won't overload. It's just nine more clicks and well worth it.

To echo what Dex says, you need Low Sensitivity for anything amplified. High sensitivity boosts the gain on the preamplifier built into the MD, and the last thing you need for amplified sound is more amplification.

Bass notes in particular overload the MD's preamp. Unfortunately, as Dex has discovered, the High Sensitivity/Low Sensitivity setting affects the signal AFTER it goes through the preamp. Even on low sensitivity, a bass drum thump can cause overload.

Therefore, I once again tout my cheap and inelegant solution: the Radio Shack Headphone Volume Control pictured with my signature. It's a buffer between your mic and the preamp.

First, set Low Sensitivity as your default setting. The MD will retain it, so you only have to do that once.

Put in a fresh battery.

Plug the mic into the RS jack and the RS plug into the red mic jack.

Turn the RS volume control to max. Find some light and set Manual Volume on the MD (press Rec and Pause with the disc in, press Menu, go to REC SET and change Rec Volume to Manual), use the pointing stick (>) or the wheel to set the volume to 20/30 for loud and 15/30 for LOUD shows. (Standard or Loud AGC doesn't matter; you're not using AGC.) Un-Pause to start recording, slide Hold so it keeps recording, put the MD in your pocket and turn it off when the concert's over.

Try it at home first. It's easier than it sounds, though not as easy as it could be if Sony let Manual Volume remain as a default setting.