What would you change about the MDCF?

Christopher

You can name one thing or many things, no holds barred, no offense taken, etc.

I want this place to get bigger, and I want people to stick around. Alot of the forums I visit always have the same people consistantly on time and time again. I want to create that kind of enviroment. Please offer your opinions on the direction we should take from here. :happy:

In terms of layout, I'd move "Announcements and News" down a bit, or at least reduce it's screen size. It takes up about 1/3 of my screen and doesn't seem the most popular section. Maybe move the General MD and/or Knowledge Centre stuff to the top, seems like a good place to start...

Maybe have a general non-MD/Electronics section to keep the HDD fans happy...

An Introducing the Moderators/Staff with pictures/biography board... Well maybe not...

But, as Zombie says, minor things possibly best left alone.

Hmm...

The only thing I can really think of is cleaning up the Hi-MD section. While I could do this myself, it would be such a huge job... :sleep:

Normally, people are supposed to put live recording stuff in Live Recording, techy stuff in Tech Support/Tech Topics... but in Hi-MD, anything that even remotely relates to Hi-MD in the most peripheral way is being thrown into that forum.

I catch some of the worst OT posts, as do you all, but ugh... it is a mess in there!

I think all noobish posts resulting from the inability to use a search command or read a FAQ should be put in the trash bin also, not just rude posts.

Oh yeah, and less Skyther. *giggle*

First off, thank you for spending the time to give me some recommendations. I really respect that, Kevin. :happy:

In terms of layout, I'd move "Announcements and News" down a bit, or at least reduce it's screen size. It takes up about 1/3 of my screen and doesn't seem the most popular section. Maybe move the General MD and/or Knowledge Centre stuff to the top, seems like a good place to start...

I like this idea. I may move the Announcements section to Administrivia and keep the News at the top, however. Eric [webmaster] would probably prefer the news at the top as the board was created initally just to support whatever topics he posted on the main site with a discuss link. Obviously, we have matured past that point, so I'll keep it in mind when I do restructure.

Maybe have a general non-MD/Electronics section to keep the HDD fans happy...

http://forums.minidisc.org/viewforum.php?f=66

An Introducing the Moderators/Staff with pictures/biography board... Well maybe not...

This is a good idea. In fact, there is a modification you can make to phpbb forums that allows a "Staff" section with similar content. I will look into it.

-------

Jade, I haven't ignored you but your request coincides with my answer to Cori's questions..

btw, Cori, thank you for taking the time to speak the truth and tell me what's up. I value your words. :grin:

The only thing I can really think of is cleaning up the Hi-MD section.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. In fact, I think that making a subforum within the Hi-MD forum, moving all the stickies in it and other FAQ's that we'll compose would be the best avenue..

Normally, people are supposed to put live recording stuff in Live Recording, techy stuff in Tech Support/Tech Topics... but in Hi-MD, anything that even remotely relates to Hi-MD in the most peripheral way is being thrown into that forum.

Yes, I am aware of this, and unfortunately this will not end. This all begun when I had Eric change the Discuss link for the Hi-MD announcement on the front page of minidisc.org from the inital thread he started to the whole forum I created. An unfortunate side-effect, but like I've said, it keeps you busy, no? :happy:

I think all noobish posts resulting from the inability to use a search command or read a FAQ should be put in the trash bin also, not just rude posts.

Fine with me.

............ byeee!!

Aw, come on. :rasp:

just a bit of construtive criticism.

seems like the majority of posters are on staff, in fact there seems to be a 1:2 ratio of mods/admin to newb question askers.

i realise there are 3000 registered users but how many of the active users are moderating each other?

I don't think, it is the case.

There is a distinct difference between 'Moderator' and 'Official Advisor'. Only Moderators have any privileges here, like locking threads and kicking out unruly members. Official Advisors have simply built a reputation of being informed and able to give reliable advice. Since these Advisors are among the more active members, you'll see them of course more often, than members, who sign up, asking a few questions and going back into the background until the next question arises. However, being more active does not only means answering newbie question, it also means participation in other threads as well. And of course, moderators, who actively participate are a good thing as well.