Sony MZ-N710 charge problem

Rate this topic

Goonie_goo_goo

Hi,

I'm new in the Minidisc world as i bought my first ever unit 2 days ago from the internet.

The problem I have is that I cannot charge the flat battery(NH-10WN) of the MD.

The adaptor is correct connected, and the battery is inserted correctly. I connect the adaptor to the plug of the MD and press the STOP/CANCEL/CRG button once and I get the display "Charging". After 2.5 hours I tried to play a disc but I was getting low battery, so I charged it for another 2.5 hours. That happened 4-5 times.

The unit itself works ok when it"s connected to the adaptor.

Am i doing something wrong or should i send the MD back to the place I bought it?

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums. I believe that the battery is experiencing issues because of improper charging. I would suggest that you go ahead and buy a new one with a higher density and start anew. Look for a NH-14WM, 1450mAh battery.

Here would be a good place to buy: http://www.bargaining4all.com/catalog/defa...lt.php?cPath=32

[also, that 1750mAh battery is fine, too]

By employing such batteries you get more life out of your unit. I would also recommend you get an external charger for the battery as the unit isn't the most ideal place to charge in most situations. External chargers can be found on the aforementioned site or probably where you bought the unit initally.

• 2 years later...

Welcome to the forums. I believe that the battery is experiencing issues because of improper charging. I would suggest that you go ahead and buy a new one with a higher density and start anew. Look for a NH-14WM, 1450mAh battery.

Here would be a good place to buy: http://www.bargaining4all.com/catalog/defa...lt.php?cPath=32

[also, that 1750mAh battery is fine, too]

By employing such batteries you get more life out of your unit. I would also recommend you get an external charger for the battery as the unit isn't the most ideal place to charge in most situations. External chargers can be found on the aforementioned site or probably where you bought the unit initally.

I've come in on an old thread but this may still help people still having problems. I have an N710 which was not holding charge apparently. I recently decided to resurrect it, bought a new battery. Sometimes it would charge, sometimes not. When it did playback, sometimes it would show low battery, then it would come back. Close inspection showed the contact in the flip top of the battery case was dirty - a quick wipe cleaned it. Looking inside the bottom contact is a poor design, instead of a flat contact with enough surface area it is a spike. If the end of that spike gets dirty there will be poor electrical contact. I recommend getting a Q tip, dampened with methylated spirits in there and cleaning the contact.

• 9 years later...

I have just stumbled across this old post and found it very useful... After sitting is a drawer for years, my Minidisc MZ-N710 would not power up and made clicking sounds when on the cradle. I found that the gumstick battery had leaked and the battery cover was crusted shut. I managed to get it open, bought a new battery (£2.99 off eBay) but could not get it to charge, I read @tphil post above about the poor design of the lower contact, so bought some electronic cleaning solvent and using an cotton earbud, cleaned the lower contacts - and hey presto, my battery is now charging! I am very pleased, so thank you for the information. This is what the internet is about :-)

• 8 months later...

I had a similar problem with my N710 but there were no signs of corrosion. Using a fine craft knife, I bent the little triangle shaped piece of metal that needs to make contact with the positive on the battery. That particular piece of metal had been flattened over time and lost contact with the positive.