Japanese Text on US NW-E507?

Rate this question

minimonk

Question

Has anyone been able to get Japanese song titles to display correctly on the English E507? I tried setting XP's region to Japanese to trick SonicStage, but that didn't do the trick. I'm not sure if the engish firmware is capable, so I was wondering if I could apply the Japanese 2.0 upgrade to my device... :ol_eyepatch:

Any advice?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Another stupid decision made by Sony USA. If Ishi's workaround doesn't work, try this one:

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\OpenMG\PD\{24FBD48F-275E-4b3f-A169-08969C996A0D}

Change the "Char" value to 90 hexadecimal (or 144 decimal). The default value of US install of Sonicstage is 3.

This is what I had to do to enable Kanji display on my E99.

Edited by pata2001

Another stupid decision made by Sony USA. If Ishi's workaround doesn't work, try this one:

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\OpenMG\PD\{24FBD48F-275E-4b3f-A169-08969C996A0D}

Change the "Char" value to 90 hexadecimal (or 144 decimal). The default value of US install of Sonicstage is 3.

This is what I had to do to enable Kanji display on my E99.

That's the same registry entry for the PSP or rather all ATRAC devices that employs MagicGate Memory Stick Device. The registry edit I have outlined is somewhat different: How to Enable Japanese/Chinese Text Support, for ATRAC files with non-Japanese PSP.

Pata, would you mind trying the followin entry and see if it works for your E99?

--> Using regedit, go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\OpenMG\PD\{24FBD48F-275E-4b3f-A169-08969C996A0D}

--> locate the entry called "Char" and change its value to 2.

--> locate the entry called "Language" and change its value to 2.

If it does, I will change the title of this guide to include all Memory Stick dependent ATRAC devices. Thanks.

I have both Japanese and Chinese (not just Kanji) working on my English NW-E507. I made no registry changes. The NW-E507 completely supports unicode on the player itself, it's a pity non of Sony's software does other than the OpenMG backend.

I merely use AppLoc to run SonicStage in Japanese or Chinese when I need to add songs. AppLoc also works with the MP3 Manager.

I am using my own SS 3.1 installer, but I believe the one by Daijoubu is the same version.

Edited by OCedHrt