Is ATRAC Supported on the PSP?

Rate this question

sefu

Question

I have been testing with a PSP (firmware v1.5) & Sonic Stage 3.1, and ATRAC does not appear to be supported. I have tried it with a 32MB Duo, as well as a 1GB Duo Pro.

Any ATRAC files listed in Sonic Stage are grayed out and cannot be selected to transfer to the PSP.

Can any confirm this? Or has anyone been able to get it working?

I also noticed that when MP3's are transferred using Sonic Stage, they are directly transferred. i.e. there is nothing done to the MP3 file, like when it is transferred to a NWHD Walkman.

13 answers to this question

I have been testing with a PSP (firmware v1.5) & Sonic Stage 3.1, and ATRAC does not appear to be supported. I have tried it with a 32MB Duo, as well as a 1GB Duo Pro.

Any ATRAC files listed in Sonic Stage are grayed out and cannot be selected to transfer to the PSP.

Can any confirm this? Or has anyone been able to get it working?

I also noticed that when MP3's are transferred using Sonic Stage, they are directly transferred. i.e. there is nothing done to the MP3 file, like when it is transferred to a NWHD Walkman.

When you say ATRAC, do you imply ATRAC (SP) 292kbps? If so, the PSP do not support ATRAC (SP) 292kbps. The PSP only support the following format:

ATRAC3: 132kbps, 105kbps and 66kbps.

ATRAC3plus: 320kbps, 256kbps, 192kbps, 160kbps, 128kbps, 96kbps, 64kbps and 48kbps.

MP3

Nonetheless, as Chris had mentioned, please update to SonicStage 3.2 and PSP firmware 2.0. The new update will allow you to transfer ATRAC3plus onto any Memory Stick PRO Duo media.

Welcome, sefu. ATRAC is definitely supported on the PSP. I believe that the best way to make this work is to upgrade to Sonicstage 3.2 and update the firmware on your PSP to v2.

Thanks for the reply.

You say that Atrac is supported, but I will need to update the firmware and Sonic Stage for it to work?

So just to confirm, you say that with my current setup, it wont work?

FYI My Atrac files are encoded @ 132kbps

I've encountered a curious problem after updating to firmware 2.5. I'm no longer able to transfer music downloaded from the Connect online store to my psp. This was not an issue before I updated. All imported files from my personal CD collection work fine. Just not the downloaded tracks. Anyone else experienced this problem?

I get the following error: "Error Report: These tracks cannot be transferred. Unable to transfer the following tracks using the original file format."

Edited by BandBPeterson

I've encountered a curious problem after updating to firmware 2.5. I'm no longer able to transfer music downloaded from the Connect online store to my psp. This was not an issue before I updated. All imported files from my personal CD collection work fine. Just not the downloaded tracks. Anyone else experienced this problem?

I get the following error: "Error Report: These tracks cannot be transferred. Unable to transfer the following tracks using the original file format."

That is most unfortunate. I have yet to experience the stated issue with the latest firmware.

If you still wish to use the purchased tracks on your PSP, try HIMDRenderer 0.50. You can attempt to salvage those purchased Connect tracks with HIMDRenderer 0.50 by converting it to WAV format; and then proceed to import and reconvert to ATRAC via SonicStage 3.2.

I just recently purchased a Sony 2gb Pro Duo, only to find out that it would not accomodate atrac3plus, doing more research I found out that it would if you updated your psp to v2.0 or higher(I just updated to v2.6) and then download sonic stage v3.2 or higher, everything works with my 32MB Duo but when I put the Pro Duo in, its just not working. I on't know if I'm missing a step or what, can anyone help me.

I have a 2.6 PSP & I dl Sonicstage 3.2 or 3.3 i forgot, but when i try to convert my mp3's to atrac plus & transfer it to the PSP, Sonicstage just closes & doesnt allow me to transfer. Is their an alternative to getting atrac on my PSP? thx.

Welcome to ATRACLife!

This is a well-known issue and the usual culprit behind this lies with codec packs. Previous installations of codec packs [namely, FFDSHOW] may affect playback of ATRAC3plus files as well as Mp3 conversion to ATRAC3plus. To fix this, try uninstalling the codec packs. In the future, don't install codec packs. Rather, install the individual codec by itself - codec packs are known to have detrimental effects for your system.

In addition, please upgrade your version of SonicStage to version 3.4. If you should have a large ATRAC library, run SonicStage Backup Tool to safeguard your tunes for any unforeseen issues.

Awhile back I bought a memory stick duo on eBay and could not get it to work with any ATRAC3 etc files. It worked fine for other files (for use with camera etc).

Turned out the reason was because it was counterfeit, and could not support OpenMG. The packaging was almost identical to the real thing too.

Why people would bother counterfeiting cards is beyond me. I don't buy memory cards on eBay anymore.

Anyway, to get SonicStage to handle ATRAC3plus with your PSP you definitely need to upgrade PSP firmware. If you want to keep 1.5 (for the homebrew) then you can't use ATRAC3plus. I upgraded as the homebrew didn't interest me.

Edited by maxthrusters

ATRAC, ATRAC, ATRAC. Sony what were you thinking.

I can copy ATRAC files to my 32MB Memory Stick Duo (Official Sony), but try copying them to my OFFICIAL 2GB High Speed Memory Stick Pro Duo and you got another thing coming buddy. Sonicstage just doesn't want to know. As far as I know my stick is GENUINE (although how you confim this I do not know). And does everything else the PSP wants it to, but transfering the ATRAC files to the PSP just doesn't happen...

I'm gonna try removing SonicStage and reinstalling the whole thing without the FFDShow crap that seems to be the cuase of a lot of problems.

Anyone have any good ideas about making my PSP more compatible, please let me know.

Sony PSP1003:

Firmware v2.6

Sonicstage v3.4

I also have a 1GB High Speed PRO Duo for my PSP and cannot send Atrac3plus to it. I've also updated to SonicStage 4.0 but they still haven't rectified the problem. Someone HELP!!

Welcome to ATRACLife!

Please ensure that you have at least PSP firmware 2.0 to facilitate transfer of ATRAC3plus onto any Memory Stick PRO Duo media,