Hellos and Goodbyes

Rate this topic

Bananatree

This is a forum idea I just got that I think we should try.

If you want to say goodbye to a dead/sold/lost unit, or hello to a new one... feel free to post stories, pictures or general hysteria here. I don't think it is necessary for 10 "OMG my NH1 is here" threads.

I'll start:

Goodbye DR480, I'm sending you to america to a new home where you will get more love. I enjoyed how you played good music through your wonderful 1-bit amp, and I will miss you. However I know you will get more use with Nismo. tongue.gif

Hello iPod :smile:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry if this is not the right place to post about computer hardware.. but my old PC Chips motherboard went up in smoke today. It shall be missed as many MP3 and wavs were recorded to MD on it.

May you rest forever in the Hardware Pantheon, old MLR 810. Good times, bad times... we had them together. The way you always handled Phantasy Star Online and my emulated games will never be forgotten. Thanks for showing me that there's more than Intel out there in the market. You shall be forever missed, my first system ever. Curse the power supply that overloaded your delicate AMD processor and memory.

*respectful silence*

Abit IS7-E2, welcome. Many tasks await to be tackled. Show me what breaking the previously unknown (by me) 1Ghz barrier means. Your predecessor left a pair of big shoes to fill. Take me to other worlds, let's live new adventures. There is still so much that remains to be done.

*sniffles as he waves a final goodbye to his first computer, now silent and lifeless...*

Oi, Syrius, that was your first computer? Lucky.

My first PC... I got in 1992. It was an Intel 286 20MHz overclocked to 25MHz! Woo, breakneck speed!

I also had (and still have) an original Amiga 500 with monitor (complete with Component RGB connectors as opposed to a normal VGA plug) mouse, crashed and dead 120mb hard drive, two 3.5" floppy drives and several boxes of 3.5" floppies of Amiga software that probably none of them work.

I've seen so many PCs come and go over the years. The one I've got now is probably my fourteenth computer; I'm not exactly sure. The one I had before this, I sold to pay for the parts to build this one, the one before that was fried by a lightning pulse. Previous PCs had been obtained from my stepfather's work and my mother's upgrades (and hand-me-downs) while they were likewise handed down to my little brothers.

Oi, Syrius, that was your first computer? Lucky.

Yup. Didn't need one until 2001, since I always used the library's or electric typwriters for my school stuff.

I also had (and still have) an original Amiga 500 with monitor (complete with Component RGB connectors as opposed to a normal VGA plug) mouse, crashed and dead 120mb hard drive, two 3.5" floppy drives and several boxes of 3.5" floppies of Amiga software that probably none of them work.

RGB? blink.gif *drools* I have an Amiga 1080 monitor for the purpose of playing all my consoles on gorgeous RGB. :laugh:

Uh, ever heard of WinUAE? AFAIK, you can use Amiga Floppies on an actual FDD on your PC, and run the games off that with an emulator. *sigh* I miss Psygnosis.

Well, everyone, I'd like you to welcome...

Cori's Pink iPod Mini!

Just picked it up from Best Buy this morning, and I am in LOVE, I tell you. iTunes as a music management software makes me forget all those horrible, horrible UselessStage nightmares.

The sound... well, I need some good buds before I can really say how good it can possibly be. I need them now, because these iPod stocks are horrid.

WTF, those farking high school kids stole my D-33, the Luscious Jackson CD that was in it and my E2cs, I hope they put my canalphones in their ears without wasthing them first!!!

Now I gotta buy new buds. :sleep:

ROFL, did you get the extra 5mhz from the turbo button?  ahahaha

OMFG, the Turbo button! Yessss, oh those were the days!

I had FOUR MEGS OF RAM! 30-pin SIMMs that ran at a lightning-fast 110ns!

Those were also the days when one megabyte of RAM cost you close to a C-bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Goodbye to the motherboard I bought to replace my burned system. Begone, you foul spawn of a nameless, corner-cutting, truth-bending, lemon-making shaky company. Is it that hard to detect a 10GB HDD that even a simple P2 300MHZ can boot from with ease?

GET THEE GONE, LEMON!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to my new MD recorders. I already love my "new to me" Sharp DR480, but the R50 hasn't really grown on me that much. I'll see if that changes, otherwise it's going to certainly go to a new home with a person who'll appreciate it more.

user posted image

I hope that Zombietycho enjoys his iPod as much as I'm enjoying this DR480.

I had FOUR MEGS OF RAM! 30-pin SIMMs that ran at a lightning-fast 110ns!

Those were also the days when one megabyte of RAM cost you close to a C-bill.

i've got one of a similar vintage on my keyring, with a dogtag style chain on a small loop.

love it, it's my lucky charm. i'll put a pic in my sig later

• 1 month later...

Looks like I might be selling the DS8 when I get back..just not seeing any use at all anymore now that I have a NH900. I hate to give up an Auvi, but once you go Hi-MD it's hard to look back.

I looked back. smile.gif Not that I turned back, but I did give the Auvi a listen again and dang... I like it so much better than my NH1.

While we're doing hello's...

user posted image

Hello Vaio Pocket VGF-AP1L. biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Belated hello to my Athlon 64 system with 512 MB of DDR, Firewire, USB 2, Nforce 3 chipset, capture card, DVD burner, crappy NVIDIA 5500 OC card, 80G HDD and a Sony Digital 8 camcorder to start Syrius Logicsoft productions, featuring my incredible stick figure dramas on DVD.

Goodbye to the donated R500. Make my friend happy with that long battery life, and uber-cool cobalt blue color. happy.gif

Edited by Syrius

hi, havent been wandering around these forums much latley but i too have been braught to the darkside of hdd players ph34r.gif

im not exactly saying goodbye to my hi-md, but its not being used any more for my main listening pleasures, more for its other functions

thinking about getting one of the second gen hi mds though

so

--goodbye nh-600d--

--hello gen2 dell dj 20 --

so far ive been quite happy with this unit, works very well

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

my mzn1 finally crapped out after some good service. ironically it apears to be the usb parts that have gone rather than the optical block as it will still record in realtime. guess it's long past time to get something new anyway so i'm in the market again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Goodbye: My MZ-N510 as a portable player.

Hello: iRiver IFP 899 flash player (1 GB)

I had very long thoughts about what my next player would be, a Hi-MD unit, or a flash player. A HD unit was out of the question, because I want to be able to run/jog with the thing.

I was very happy with my 510 for a long time, and everywhere I went I would show it to people, together with a story about how great the MD format is. And, let's face it, it is great. smile.gif

However, over time I became more and more tired with the restrictions I had to deal with regarding my player. I'm sort of an audiophile, and LP2 just isn't good enough for me. I used my player mainly for listening on the road to CD's that I've just bought, and I buy a lot of CD's. So, you can imagine it really became a hassle to do real-time recordings all the time, together with manually making track marks and titling and such. Not to mention I had to carry a lot of discs with me.

2nd generation Hi-MD units looked like the perfect solution for me. Not too expensive, 1 GB media and to possibility to play MP3 natively. I'm a fan of LAME and its presets, so I was very happy to hear that. Because I have a history with Sony, I decided to wait for a while to see if there were any hidden problems. And yes, I was right. It started with the stupid EQ restriction on EU models, which fortunately was hacked in no time. After that, I read stories about the crippled MP3 playback and I thought, "ok, that's it". For the time being, I will not give my money to a company that's dealing with its customers like this. I felt disdained.

So, I made my decision and bought this nice iRiver player, with the following advantages:

* No SonicStage, just drag & drop

* Great sound (with a great quality EQ!)

* Native MP3 playback (for real)

* Linux (or any other platform) support

* FM Radio

* Recording via mic or line-in (which even can be used as a powered mic-in, I've heard)

I haven't tried the recording features yet. I assume it's not as good as the MD units.

Of course, I know Hi-MD can be great for people who make recordings. They just aren't players in the first place. However, I really think Sony is missing an opportunity here. If they just.., aaah never mind.

Sorry for this rant. It's just my opinion. I will keep my 510, so I can use it to transfer band recordings over to my PC for burning to CD. Analogue transfer, that is. mad.gif

OH!

I never posted it here, I don't remember when I actually got it...but I got an NW-HD3 as a graduation present.

user posted image

I took that pic like an hour after I got it and it's still the best one, lol. (mainly because I have like 7 trees in my backyard and my room's in the back...so I get no natural light at all...well, not enough for photography anyway.

Edited by D-EJ915

a bit off topic and therefore elegible for removal by mods if deemed necessary...but this was the existing thread that cam closest and I didn't feel like creating a new one... sorry

but now the actual message:

"Goodbye student life! I've just completed and handed in my Masters Thesis and now I can enjoy another two months of vacation and then it's work time for me...doh"

Congrats Volta!!! I know that this was a major thing for you as in our conversations it's always been mentioned

thanks, it was...cost me almost a year of my life tongue.gif

can you send me the final?

as it was written in Dutch, I guess you'll have to wait till I translate the summary/conclusions (which will happen as I need to send it to the BBC as well, but I do not yet feel up to reading my own writings again)

Do you think you did well? I'm sure you did. smile.gif

laugh.gif thanks... it will definitely be more than sufficient to pass