Newbie - Recording Help Please

Rate this topic

jimmylove

Hi, I have just received a new Sony MX-NH1 HiMD recorder. I also have the Sony ECM-907 stereo mic. I have one hiMD blank disc and 5 normal MD discs. Here are my questions:

I want to record a classical piano recital I am giving using the above equipment and am fairly confident about setting it up to record. Is it better to record it onto the hiMD disc or a normal disc? Also how easy is it then to transfer the recording from the MD player to my PC so I can edit the tracks and burn it to cd?

Forgive my stupidity -- it is kinda overhwleming getting new technology in formats I am unfamiliar with - a pretty steep learning curve!

TIA,

James

By default, the HiMD recorder will use HiMD mode regardless of which type of disc you put in.

It's more important to select a mode that is appropriate to the length of the recording you'll be making - PCM for shorter than 95 minutes with a 1GB disc, or 28 minutes with an MD80; HiSP for up to 7 hours 55 mins on a 1GB disc, 2 hours 23 mins on an MD80.

Normal MDs require slightly less power to write to.

Make sure your battery is freshly charged before you go to make the recording.

With a mic like the 907 I would recommend actually sticking it in the piano if at all possible. Close-mic'ing with a stereo mic as high above the strings as the lid allows, nearer to the centre of the sounding board, will probably get you the best results. I wouldn't try mic'ing from 10' away with a 907.

This mic position can be easily achieved using a standard boom-type microphone stand with a rubber clip that the 907 fits into [shure and Peavey rubber mic clips both fit the 907 just fine]. Put the stand on the open side of the piano [assuming it's not an upright] with the boom extending in towards the lid, with the mic pointing down at the strings just past the hammers.

I'm assuming you'll be allowed to do this, of course.

Use mic sensitivity set to LOW.

Set levels manually by getting the pianist to bang around for a minute. Set levels so the loudest peaks meet the dash [-12dBfs] on the record metres. This gives some headroom. With the 907's sensitivity the quietest sounds the piano can make will probably still be drowned out by ambient room noise, even when close micing, so don't worry about losing the quiet parts too much.

By default, the HiMD recorder will use HiMD mode regardless of which type of disc you put in.

It's more important to select a mode that is appropriate to the length of the recording you'll be making - PCM for shorter than 95 minutes with a 1GB disc, or 28 minutes with an MD80; HiSP for up to 7 hours 55 mins on a 1GB disc, 2 hours 23 mins on an MD80.

Normal MDs require slightly less power to write to.

Make sure your battery is freshly charged before you go to make the recording.

With a mic like the 907 I would recommend actually sticking it in the piano if at all possible.  Close-mic'ing with a stereo mic as high above the strings as the lid allows, nearer to the centre of the sounding board, will probably get you the best results.  I wouldn't try mic'ing from 10' away with a 907.  

This mic position can be easily achieved using a standard boom-type microphone stand with a rubber clip that the 907 fits into [shure and Peavey rubber mic clips both fit the 907 just fine].  Put the stand on the open side of the piano [assuming it's not an upright] with the boom extending in towards the lid, with the mic pointing down at the strings just past the hammers.

I'm assuming you'll be allowed to do this, of course.

Use mic sensitivity set to LOW.

Set levels manually by getting the pianist to bang around for a minute.  Set levels so the loudest peaks meet the dash [-12dBfs] on the record metres.  This gives some headroom.  With the 907's sensitivity the quietest sounds the piano can make will probably still be drowned out by ambient room noise, even when close micing, so don't worry about losing the quiet parts too much.

Fantastic, thanks. Did what you suggested. The sound isn't yet ideal (about 2 feet above the hammers and just to the right of the piano) but iwll experiment more. Thanks for your help!

J