yamagatacamille

Differences In NH600, NH700, NHF800, NH900, NH1

37 posts in this topic

just in case not everything is clear, here is a small list of all the 2004 hi-md models (except NH3D, cuz it's pretty much a NH1 w/o the inputs)

*all units can use previous remotes (11EL, 12ELK, 33EL/35ELK) -- see Sefu's thread (on t-board): MZ-NH600 and NetMD remotes tested regarding remote compatability on the NH600(D)

*all units can record and playback first gen MD blanks (60/74/80)

*MDLP

*included w/ all units: Sonicstage2 and Simpleburner2 software. AC adaptor, USB cable, stock headphones (MDR-E838SP supplied with NH1), manual, 1 (one) Hi-MD blank

*features on main unit: all units (except NH1) have a 3-line non-backlit LCD. unsure if 3-line LCD can read Kanji, G-protection, DC input

~NH1 features a 3-line backlit LCD remote and has a single line (non-backlit) LCD on the main unit

MZ-NH600D: a entry level Hi-MD recorder. no inputs (line, mic) only headphone/remote port, can only record from PC (via SS2) uses AA

(NOTE: the UK (Euro?) version of the NH600 has indeed a remote port, line-input, 6-band EQ, but isnt supplied with an AC adaptor, remote or a Hi-MD blank)

NH700: budget Hi-MD recorder. all inputs are present. includes remote port. stick-style remote (no LCD). uses AA. 6-band EQ

(NOTE: the Japanese version is supplied w/ the RM-MC40ELK remote and not the stick remote)

NHF800: mid-level Hi-MD recorder. all inputs are present. includes non-backlit LCD Tuner (AM/FM/TV/weather) Remote (RM-MC39LT). uses AA. VPT acoustic engine, 6-band EQ

NH900: mid/high-end Hi-MD recorder. all inputs are present. line-out. includes backlit LCD remote (RM-MC38EL). HD Digital Amp. No Date/Time Stamp. AA pack. VPT acoustic engine, 6-band EQ. charging cradle. uses Ni-MH gumstick

(NOTE: the Japanese version is supplied w/ the RM-MC40ELK remote and not the RM-MC38EL remote)

NH1: high-end Hi-MD recorder. all inputs are present. line-out. magnesium body. includes backlit 3-line LCD remote (RM-MC40ELK) with Kanji text support. HD digital Amp. Date/Time Stamp. removable Li-Ion battery. VPT acoustic engine, 6-band EQ, charging cradle

to get the bast battery life out of your Hi-MD unit, take a look at Moltar's battery thread: A listing of the best batteries to use for your Hi-MD unit.

*some of the information may be outdated so if there is any other information needed for each unit, let me know. cheers!

Good work cammy.

Now if I can just sticky this.... silly new interface....

Addendum: the NH700 also has the 6-band EQ. Comparing it with the NHF800, all it lacks is the tuner remote and VPT engine.

let's just wait for the service mode hack to add VPT engine to the NH700 biggrin.gif

I beleive that the units are exactly the same... and i am not seeing those sony guys creating a circuit for the NH700 and a different for the NH800 just to add that VPT thing. smile.gif

I've never used the a unit with VPT but concensus is generally that it's useless. It's not the type of feature I'd use even if I had it.

I don't use even a third of the features built into the 700, actually. I've never bothered learning how to do the more advanced navigation type stuff, for instance, because I have no use for it. I simply know what's on my discs, and how to get there with basic controls, which is good enough for me.

Doesn't the NHF800 and NH600 have the 6 band EQ as well? My friend with a NH600 had said that it has such, can anyone confirm?

Doesn't the NHF800 and NH600 have the 6 band EQ as well? My friend with a NH600 had said that it has such, can anyone confirm?

Damage ought to know. He owns the NH600D, owned the NHF800 for a time, and now owns the NH900 and NH1 as well.

Yes, the NHF800 has two custom sound settings, each of which is a 6 band EQ.

If anyone is interested, the bands are:

100Hz, 250Hz, 630Hz, 1.6kHz, 4kHz, and 10kHz

Dave

NHF800: mid-level Hi-MD recorder. all inputs are present. includes non-backlit LCD Tuner (AM/FM/TV/weather) Remote (RM-MC39LT)

My NHF800 (UK/euro model) remote covers the normal UK frequency ranges:

FM (87.5mHz - 108mHz) and AM (531kHz - 1602kHz)

I assume that US/world models of the 800 do actually cover TV and weather bands?

My NHF800 (UK/euro model) remote covers the normal UK frequency ranges:

FM (87.5mHz - 108mHz) and AM (531kHz - 1602kHz)

I assume that US/world models of the 800 do actually cover TV and weather bands?

The TV and weather bands are only available on the US model.

Cheers dex

So, does the NHF800 until limit the frequency range that the remote is allowed to access and the remote is the same the world over? What I mean is, is it theoretically possible for my remote to operate at the TV/Weather frequencies, but my euro unit stops it accessing them?

Dave

I have a NHF800 bought from Canada. Can someone tell me what is the TV/weather thing that is found only on the US models (not that I would need it)?

Well, I own the NH600 (European model) and I have a optical Line in and a 6 Band EQ.

^thx for the info about the 6-band EQ, nohlen. i'll update it:)

I have a NHF800 bought from Canada. Can someone tell me what is the TV/weather thing that is found only on the US models (not that I would need it)?

you can listen to the audio (not video, of course) on certain tv stations. the weather band, IMO is pretty useless. i got nothing on those weather channels -- all static. hope that helps

neither the 600 or 600d come with remotes. plus, the 600 (the euro model) has no remote jack. just headphone.

neither the 600 or 600d come with remotes.  plus, the 600 (the euro model) has no remote jack.  just headphone.

My 600 has a remote jack and Line-In (optical). I purchased it from Comet in the UK.

Agreed it doesn't come with a remote.

Also it (the NH600 Euro) does have a remote jack, and you can use almost any modern Sony remote with it...

I've been researching the MZ-DH710 (In Canada) and I've noticed some huge differences between the DH710 and the RH710. Mainly, the DH710 has no live recording capability whatsoever, while the RH710 does have the ability to record from a Line-In/Mic-In jack.

Besides that, is there a remote port on the MZ-DH710 in Canada? All the pictures I've seen are from the front, or from the front at an angle that doesn't show the side with the headphone jack.

I've got a MC11EL that I'm using with my NH600D, and I'd like to know if the DH710 has the ability to use this remote as well.

TIA

-Raj

no live recording as the 'D' stands for downloader & 'R' for recorder

Thanks for the info but could you please recommend the best mini-disc player/recorder on the market which can run on AA batteries only? For remote locations, rechargeable is not an option?

Rebecca

Either NH700 or NHF800 depending on where you live and what's available. They're basically the same unit, but the NHF800 has a remote with an FM radio. Sony tended to sell either one or the other in any given country. I have an NHF800 and although I've never had any use for the FM remote, with the RM-MC40ELK remote I added later, it's close to an ideal recording unit.

The NH900 came with an outboard pack for an AA battery.

Sony idiotically removed the AA battery version from the second-generation (RH) units. I can't tell from the equipment browser whether they still include the outboard AA battery pack. You can buy a second gumstick battery (NH-14WM is better than the supplied one) and a charger on Ebay if you can only find RH units, but I hope they also accept the outboard AA pack.

Sony idiotically removed the AA battery version  from the second-generation (RH) units. I can't tell from the equipment browser whether they still include the outboard AA battery pack.  You can buy a second gumstick battery (NH-14WM is better than the supplied one) and a charger on Ebay if you can only find RH units, but I hope they also accept the outboard AA pack.

the RH-models still come with an AA-addon so they are very useful for recording as well...

I have an NH700 and have recently acquired a DAB receiver with a built-in timer and S/PDIF out.

I can set the DAB timer to record a program at 4am and output the audio via the S/PDIF.

I can set the MD to synch-record after the S/PDIF optical cable is activated.

My only problem is that the MD unit always powers off after 3 minutes and doesn't wake up when the optical cable is lit.

Can I override this? Is there a better model suited to this application?

Tom