Differences In NH600, NH700, NHF800, NH900, NH1

just in case not everything is clear, here is a small list of all the 2004 hi-md models (except NH3D, cuz it's pretty much a NH1 w/o the inputs)

*all units can use previous remotes (11EL, 12ELK, 33EL/35ELK) -- see Sefu's thread (on t-board): MZ-NH600 and NetMD remotes tested regarding remote compatability on the NH600(D)

*all units can record and playback first gen MD blanks (60/74/80)

*MDLP

*included w/ all units: Sonicstage2 and Simpleburner2 software. AC adaptor, USB cable, stock headphones (MDR-E838SP supplied with NH1), manual, 1 (one) Hi-MD blank

*features on main unit: all units (except NH1) have a 3-line non-backlit LCD. unsure if 3-line LCD can read Kanji, G-protection, DC input

~NH1 features a 3-line backlit LCD remote and has a single line (non-backlit) LCD on the main unit

MZ-NH600D: a entry level Hi-MD recorder. no inputs (line, mic) only headphone/remote port, can only record from PC (via SS2) uses AA

(NOTE: the UK (Euro?) version of the NH600 has indeed a remote port, line-input, 6-band EQ, but isnt supplied with an AC adaptor, remote or a Hi-MD blank)

NH700: budget Hi-MD recorder. all inputs are present. includes remote port. stick-style remote (no LCD). uses AA. 6-band EQ

(NOTE: the Japanese version is supplied w/ the RM-MC40ELK remote and not the stick remote)

NHF800: mid-level Hi-MD recorder. all inputs are present. includes non-backlit LCD Tuner (AM/FM/TV/weather) Remote (RM-MC39LT). uses AA. VPT acoustic engine, 6-band EQ

NH900: mid/high-end Hi-MD recorder. all inputs are present. line-out. includes backlit LCD remote (RM-MC38EL). HD Digital Amp. No Date/Time Stamp. AA pack. VPT acoustic engine, 6-band EQ. charging cradle. uses Ni-MH gumstick

(NOTE: the Japanese version is supplied w/ the RM-MC40ELK remote and not the RM-MC38EL remote)

NH1: high-end Hi-MD recorder. all inputs are present. line-out. magnesium body. includes backlit 3-line LCD remote (RM-MC40ELK) with Kanji text support. HD digital Amp. Date/Time Stamp. removable Li-Ion battery. VPT acoustic engine, 6-band EQ, charging cradle

to get the bast battery life out of your Hi-MD unit, take a look at Moltar's battery thread: A listing of the best batteries to use for your Hi-MD unit.

*some of the information may be outdated so if there is any other information needed for each unit, let me know. cheers!

let's just wait for the service mode hack to add VPT engine to the NH700 biggrin.gif

I beleive that the units are exactly the same... and i am not seeing those sony guys creating a circuit for the NH700 and a different for the NH800 just to add that VPT thing. smile.gif

I've never used the a unit with VPT but concensus is generally that it's useless. It's not the type of feature I'd use even if I had it.

I don't use even a third of the features built into the 700, actually. I've never bothered learning how to do the more advanced navigation type stuff, for instance, because I have no use for it. I simply know what's on my discs, and how to get there with basic controls, which is good enough for me.

NHF800: mid-level Hi-MD recorder. all inputs are present. includes non-backlit LCD Tuner (AM/FM/TV/weather) Remote (RM-MC39LT)

My NHF800 (UK/euro model) remote covers the normal UK frequency ranges:

FM (87.5mHz - 108mHz) and AM (531kHz - 1602kHz)

I assume that US/world models of the 800 do actually cover TV and weather bands?

Cheers dex

So, does the NHF800 until limit the frequency range that the remote is allowed to access and the remote is the same the world over? What I mean is, is it theoretically possible for my remote to operate at the TV/Weather frequencies, but my euro unit stops it accessing them?

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

^thx for the info about the 6-band EQ, nohlen. i'll update it:)

I have a NHF800 bought from Canada. Can someone tell me what is the TV/weather thing that is found only on the US models (not that I would need it)?

you can listen to the audio (not video, of course) on certain tv stations. the weather band, IMO is pretty useless. i got nothing on those weather channels -- all static. hope that helps

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been researching the MZ-DH710 (In Canada) and I've noticed some huge differences between the DH710 and the RH710. Mainly, the DH710 has no live recording capability whatsoever, while the RH710 does have the ability to record from a Line-In/Mic-In jack.

Besides that, is there a remote port on the MZ-DH710 in Canada? All the pictures I've seen are from the front, or from the front at an angle that doesn't show the side with the headphone jack.

I've got a MC11EL that I'm using with my NH600D, and I'd like to know if the DH710 has the ability to use this remote as well.

TIA

-Raj

Either NH700 or NHF800 depending on where you live and what's available. They're basically the same unit, but the NHF800 has a remote with an FM radio. Sony tended to sell either one or the other in any given country. I have an NHF800 and although I've never had any use for the FM remote, with the RM-MC40ELK remote I added later, it's close to an ideal recording unit.

The NH900 came with an outboard pack for an AA battery.

Sony idiotically removed the AA battery version from the second-generation (RH) units. I can't tell from the equipment browser whether they still include the outboard AA battery pack. You can buy a second gumstick battery (NH-14WM is better than the supplied one) and a charger on Ebay if you can only find RH units, but I hope they also accept the outboard AA pack.

Sony idiotically removed the AA battery version  from the second-generation (RH) units. I can't tell from the equipment browser whether they still include the outboard AA battery pack.  You can buy a second gumstick battery (NH-14WM is better than the supplied one) and a charger on Ebay if you can only find RH units, but I hope they also accept the outboard AA pack.

the RH-models still come with an AA-addon so they are very useful for recording as well...

• 3 weeks later...

I have an NH700 and have recently acquired a DAB receiver with a built-in timer and S/PDIF out.

I can set the DAB timer to record a program at 4am and output the audio via the S/PDIF.

I can set the MD to synch-record after the S/PDIF optical cable is activated.

My only problem is that the MD unit always powers off after 3 minutes and doesn't wake up when the optical cable is lit.

Can I override this? Is there a better model suited to this application?

Tom

• 1 month later...

I have an NH700 and have recently acquired a DAB receiver with a built-in timer and S/PDIF out.

I can set the DAB timer to record a program at 4am and output the audio via the S/PDIF.

I can set the MD to synch-record after the S/PDIF optical cable is activated.

My only problem is that the MD unit always powers off after 3 minutes and doesn't wake up when the optical cable is lit.

Can I override this? Is there a better model suited to this application?

Tom

Yeah, I have this problem too. It's one of the main reasons why I bought into Minidisc, so that I could record late night radio :P

• 1 month later...

When recording with a mic with the nh1, can you change the record level manually?

Sony finally fixed that a few years ago.

All Sony models now (since MZ-N910 if I remember right, but definitely all Hi-MDs that record) can change level while recording. Before you start each recording, you have to put it in REC-Pause and go through REC SET/REC VOLUME menu to switch it to Manual--you can't make it default to Manual. But while it's in Manual you can change the level. If you have the RM-MC40ELK remote you can look at the level (backlit) and change it while recording.

Edited by A440

• 1 month later...

Doesn't the NHF800 and NH600 have the 6 band EQ as well? My friend with a NH600 had said that it has such, can anyone confirm?

I own both the MZ-NH600 & the MZ-NHF800 (as well as the MZ-NH900), & yes, they all have the 6-band EQ. This is good for adjusting the sound for varying recordings & different headphones.

Actually, I just prefer the old mega-bass set on level-2 on my MZ-R500. It makes it more simple.

Also, can anybody tell which bands to adjust, & by how much, to get the same bass-boost sound as the older style mega-bass sound ?

burns, have a look at this thread... to gain bass, you do not need to raise any bands, just lower some :lol:

I'm on a flat -1 on all six bands and I have never experienced a nice and deep bass like this before on my NH900, lowering to -2 might do even more

burns, have a look at this thread... to gain bass, you do not need to raise any bands, just lower some :lol:

I'm on a flat -1 on all six bands and I have never experienced a nice and deep bass like this before on my NH900, lowering to -2 might do even more

Thanx heaps The Low Volta. The EQ thread is very informative. I will give this a go ASAP & let you know what I think. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I've never used the a unit with VPT but concensus is generally that it's useless. It's not the type of feature I'd use even if I had it.

I used to think this until I bought my newest NH900 here in China. I usually use a custom setting with all meters raised for maximum gain...but after trying the Virtual Surround-Studio setting I find that, for some albums, detail and bass reverb are much, much improved. It can give *some* albums a very different listening experience! Not too keen on the Live/Arena/etc. settings, though.

peace

WaywardTraveller

all meters raised is never a good option WT as the SOny lowest band is 100Hz and the lower bass (20-100HZ) isn't raised with it so you get a loud, (slightly) distorted (which over eq'ing almost always does) output that is low on bass...

best way to get a rich and full sounding sound is to actually lower all bands one increment. The lowest bass (20-100Hz) doesn't lower with it and therefore is actually raised relatively speaking...

If you can't get enough volume without raising all bands to max, look into more efficient phones or a small portable headphone amp (like the Chinese made Little Dot Micro+ which is cheap and works/sounds very good)

all meters raised is never a good option WT as the SOny lowest band is 100Hz and the lower bass (20-100HZ) isn't raised with it so you get a loud, (slightly) distorted (which over eq'ing almost always does) output that is low on bass...

best way to get a rich and full sounding sound is to actually lower all bands one increment. The lowest bass (20-100Hz) doesn't lower with it and therefore is actually raised relatively speaking...

If you can't get enough volume without raising all bands to max, look into more efficient phones or a small portable headphone amp (like the Chinese made Little Dot Micro+ which is cheap and works/sounds very good)

Hmm...I was actually thinking about this the other day, since I DO get that over-equalized "washed-out" sound from time to time...now by "lower all bands one increment," do you mean lower them all by one from the highest (like how I have them set now), or lower them all by one from the default middle position? I use the (infamous?) EX71s, which block out most sound, but music can obviously sound very different when I'm on a bus as opposed to lying in bed in a quiet hotel room.

peace

WaywardTraveller

-1 from flat eq (the neutral middle position) as the lowest frequencies don't get raised, even raising all bands one increment means relatively lowering deep bass, so the main point is to never raise any bands, only lowering them