yamagatacamille

Differences In NH600, NH700, NHF800, NH900, NH1

37 posts in this topic

I have an NH700 and have recently acquired a DAB receiver with a built-in timer and S/PDIF out.

I can set the DAB timer to record a program at 4am and output the audio via the S/PDIF.

I can set the MD to synch-record after the S/PDIF optical cable is activated.

My only problem is that the MD unit always powers off after 3 minutes and doesn't wake up when the optical cable is lit.

Can I override this? Is there a better model suited to this application?

Tom

Yeah, I have this problem too. It's one of the main reasons why I bought into Minidisc, so that I could record late night radio :P

Does anyone know if the Australian version of the MZ NH700 has limited functions, such as lower volume, etc.?

When recording with a mic with the nh1, can you change the record level manually, like with the Sharp md recorders?

Cheers

Wayne

When recording with a mic with the nh1, can you change the record level manually?

Sony finally fixed that a few years ago.

All Sony models now (since MZ-N910 if I remember right, but definitely all Hi-MDs that record) can change level while recording. Before you start each recording, you have to put it in REC-Pause and go through REC SET/REC VOLUME menu to switch it to Manual--you can't make it default to Manual. But while it's in Manual you can change the level. If you have the RM-MC40ELK remote you can look at the level (backlit) and change it while recording.

Edited by A440

Doesn't the NHF800 and NH600 have the 6 band EQ as well? My friend with a NH600 had said that it has such, can anyone confirm?

I own both the MZ-NH600 & the MZ-NHF800 (as well as the MZ-NH900), & yes, they all have the 6-band EQ. This is good for adjusting the sound for varying recordings & different headphones.

Actually, I just prefer the old mega-bass set on level-2 on my MZ-R500. It makes it more simple.

Also, can anybody tell which bands to adjust, & by how much, to get the same bass-boost sound as the older style mega-bass sound ?

burns, have a look at this thread... to gain bass, you do not need to raise any bands, just lower some :lol:

I'm on a flat -1 on all six bands and I have never experienced a nice and deep bass like this before on my NH900, lowering to -2 might do even more

burns, have a look at this thread... to gain bass, you do not need to raise any bands, just lower some :lol:

I'm on a flat -1 on all six bands and I have never experienced a nice and deep bass like this before on my NH900, lowering to -2 might do even more

Thanx heaps The Low Volta. The EQ thread is very informative. I will give this a go ASAP & let you know what I think. :rolleyes:

Good job!!! Which model can I put a non recharble battery?

Regards

I've never used the a unit with VPT but concensus is generally that it's useless. It's not the type of feature I'd use even if I had it.

I used to think this until I bought my newest NH900 here in China. I usually use a custom setting with all meters raised for maximum gain...but after trying the Virtual Surround-Studio setting I find that, for some albums, detail and bass reverb are much, much improved. It can give *some* albums a very different listening experience! Not too keen on the Live/Arena/etc. settings, though.

peace

WaywardTraveller

all meters raised is never a good option WT as the SOny lowest band is 100Hz and the lower bass (20-100HZ) isn't raised with it so you get a loud, (slightly) distorted (which over eq'ing almost always does) output that is low on bass...

best way to get a rich and full sounding sound is to actually lower all bands one increment. The lowest bass (20-100Hz) doesn't lower with it and therefore is actually raised relatively speaking...

If you can't get enough volume without raising all bands to max, look into more efficient phones or a small portable headphone amp (like the Chinese made Little Dot Micro+ which is cheap and works/sounds very good)

all meters raised is never a good option WT as the SOny lowest band is 100Hz and the lower bass (20-100HZ) isn't raised with it so you get a loud, (slightly) distorted (which over eq'ing almost always does) output that is low on bass...

best way to get a rich and full sounding sound is to actually lower all bands one increment. The lowest bass (20-100Hz) doesn't lower with it and therefore is actually raised relatively speaking...

If you can't get enough volume without raising all bands to max, look into more efficient phones or a small portable headphone amp (like the Chinese made Little Dot Micro+ which is cheap and works/sounds very good)

Hmm...I was actually thinking about this the other day, since I DO get that over-equalized "washed-out" sound from time to time...now by "lower all bands one increment," do you mean lower them all by one from the highest (like how I have them set now), or lower them all by one from the default middle position? I use the (infamous?) EX71s, which block out most sound, but music can obviously sound very different when I'm on a bus as opposed to lying in bed in a quiet hotel room.

peace

WaywardTraveller

-1 from flat eq (the neutral middle position) as the lowest frequencies don't get raised, even raising all bands one increment means relatively lowering deep bass, so the main point is to never raise any bands, only lowering them