Podcasting

Rate this topic

andyk

I was listening to Public Radio this weekend and they had a segment on...Podcasting. "What is it?", you ask. Well, I'm glad you asked.

Read at your leisure:

http://www.ipodder.org/

Then you'll need:

http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/index.php

Now, I haven't actually tried using this with an MD player. I'm sure there is some kind of aggregator that will work if this doesn't. I'll venture a guess and say that it won't be easy through crappy SonicStage. I don't have the time to test.

This REALLY seems like something BIG. It's like watching a newborn baby being born. Imagine, you can listen to what you want, when you want. The content supply is going to be infinite and FREE. All the Rush Limbaugh's and Howard Sterns are going to have MEGA COMPETION. Ever wanted to be a DJ? Now you can-for free!!! Best of all, we can record a podcast with as little as an MD and a mic. What a world we are living in, people. What a world!!!

I did a search on this site for podcasting, and found nothing, so I thought fellow MD fans would find it interesting. Let's see what other interesting things you guys can find out about it! Maybe someone can post a how to for MD.

Andy cool.gif

>

>Then you'll need:

>http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/index.php

Well , downloading and installing is OK. I selected few podcasts and downloaded them in mp3 format. In order to automate the mp3 to Atrac transfer, I wished to launch Sony MP3 Conversion tool with the command line proposed by the advance option of the preference tab of the iPodder. Any hint? Should I use another tool (I'm still discovering the format)?

Any way, I launched it manually and I included the download folder of ipodder. I'll have my files ready for transfer tomorrow morning biggrin.gif .

Eryn Vorn.

I finally got around to installing ipodder last night, and all I can say is...software. It's all about the software. Do you here me Sony??

IT"S ALL ABOUT THE SOFTWARE, SONY!!!!!!!!!

After installing ipodder, the program immediately went to the internet to download a test podcast, and a couple of sample podcasts. Then it imported them into itunes automatically. Did you here that Sony??? Then it's just a matter of selecting what content you are interested in and copy and pasting the RSS feed into the "add feed manually" box. You can set ipodder to check for new "podcasts" everytime you launch, or at specific times.

As to the reason why I think this is new, is exactly because of RSS and because Apple has 87% of the portable market. Most people who want a portable are getting an IPOD, not an MD. However, they are the listeners. If you want to be a Podcaster, or MDcaster, what better equipment than the MD?

Choose you this day whom you will serve, the MD or the Ipod. Will you be on the receiving team or the kicking team smile.gif

Thanks for the MDcast link, btw. I listened to it. Kind of boring, but the first ones probably all are.

So far, I have to manually import the downloaded files into Sonicstage.  Has anyone figured out an automatic way of doing this?

I got them transfered in Atrac and in the Sonicstage library with the Sony MP3 Conversion tool: http://sonyelectronics.sonystyle.com/walkmanmc/mp3.html

I added the folder where ipodder is storing the downloaded MP3s and it went on smoothly. I added another file and the tool translated only the last new file. tongue.gif

iPodder allows one command line after download in preferences tab but I couldn't launch the conversion tool automatically yet. The soft did also populate wmd and iTunes libraries. Nice piece of software.

Now, to capitalize on my nice piece of Sony Hardware, I'll record my first set of minidiscasts and post them on my web site. And I'll have to figure out the RSS coding issue... ohmy.gif

Eryn