Xlr To Minijack Wiring?

Rate this topic

Jack

Hi All,

Just spent the afternoon attempting to wire a stereo minijack to two XLR females to fit my Sennheiser mic which has two XLR male sockets.

I ran Jack tip to XLR Pin 2, Jack ring to XLR Pin 3 and Jack sleeve to XLR pin 1 on both XLRs. Result - one channel in operation and nothing from the other, any suggestions apart from biologically impossible ones would be greatefully received! If anybody knows of a wiring diagram to get two channels of XLR out of one minijack I would love that too!

(I also removed the connections from the sleeves on both without any effect apart from reducing an horrific hum).

Thanks,

Jack

Hi All,

Just spent the afternoon attempting to wire a stereo minijack to two XLR females to fit my Sennheiser mic which has two XLR male sockets.

I ran Jack tip to XLR Pin 2, Jack ring to XLR Pin 3 and Jack sleeve to XLR pin 1 on both XLRs. Result - one channel in operation and nothing from the other, any suggestions apart from biologically impossible ones would be greatefully received! If anybody knows of a wiring diagram to get two channels of XLR out of one minijack I would love that too!

(I also removed the connections from the sleeves on both without any effect apart from reducing an horrific hum).

Thanks,

Jack

=================

Depends on the mike:

Try tip to pin 2, ring to pin 2 (on the other XLR). Shield to Pin 1 on both. Pin 3 is open.

Alternately, tip to pin 2 of one XLR, sleeve to pins 3 and 1, then connect ring to pin 2 of second XLR and sleeve to pins 3 and 1 again.

John

This worked: 'Try tip to pin 2, ring to pin 2 (on the other XLR). Shield to Pin 1 on both. Pin 3 is open'.

It's left me with two channels, which is great, but a ground hum, which is not. Someone suggested putting a capacitor in but won't this reduce the signal?

Thanks a/form for that link, it's technically beyond me, but I'm sure I'll get desperate enough to have it translated by someone with a brain.

Jack

This worked: 'Try tip to pin 2, ring to pin 2 (on the other XLR). Shield to Pin 1 on both. Pin 3 is open'.

It's left me with two channels, which is great, but a ground hum, which is not. Someone suggested putting a capacitor in but won't this reduce the signal?

=====

If my second wiring suggestion doesn't work the simplest approach would be to go pick up an isolation transformer from Radio Shack and hook it up in between to act as a bridge between the balanced and unbalanced portions of the circuit.

John

Jack,

I should have asked you sooner.

Do you have the MKE 44P? The one that comes with a 5-pin XLRF to dual 3-pin XLRM adapter?

Forget the RS balanced transformers. They will cost you more than a simple Hosa adapter. Hosa YXF-247, YXF-302, or YXF-305 which are 1 foot, 2 feet, and 5 feet respectively all of which sell for around $13.50

Examples:

http://www.midi-classics.com/c/c28589.htm

http://www.bananas.com/productdetail.asp/p...)---2XLR(F)-5ft

You could try a guitar shop, but they may not have those particular Hosa adapters.

Beyerdynamic makes adapter cables that are 5-pin XLRF to 3.5 stereo for their MCE 72 and 82 stereo mics, but they are all special order and relatively expensive:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...u=313875&is=REG

John

Edited by craftech

• 3 years later...

This is an OLD post , but the Correct wiring would be

Pin2 Left channel = Ring

Pin2 Right Channel = Tip

Pins 1& 3 of each get wired TOGETHER , and go to shield at the Minijack Plug end , that means 1,and 3 are separate from the XLR to the end of the cable , then joined at the Minijack end .

Do NOT leave pin 3 Open , If anything ground pin 3 and leave pin 1 open , There is a Series of articles , one is called "Pin 1 Revisited "

That speaks in great detail about ground Fault and other issues .

Some bad advice was given here in this thread

Edited by Guitarfxr

• 7 months later...