Breaking News: NEW Sony Walkman is born!

Rate this topic

Ishiyoshi

Breaking News: NEW Sony Walkman is born!!

sony1_3.jpg

Finally!! It's here - the much rumored Sony's new Network Walkman devices are due this 4th quarter ~ November 19, 2005. In addition, the "CONNECT Player" is reported to be ready sometime in December 2005 or earlier. :ol_smile: (Source: Sony Europe Press, AV Watch.)

prod_img_nw-a3000.jpgprod_img_nw-a3000_b.jpg

NW-A3000, 20GB - ¥35,000 (USD$318) *available colors: Violet and Silver; Limited Edition Color - Black, NW-A3000/B @ ¥33,000

prod_img_nw-a1000.jpgprod_img_nw-a1000_n.jpgprod_img_nw-a1000_b.jpg

NW-A1000, 6GB - ¥30,000 (USD$272) *available colors: Violet, Silver, Blue and Pink; Limited Edition Color - Black, NW-A1000/B and Gold, NW-A1000/N @ ¥28,000

NW-A3000/1000 Series | Features & Specifications

- New (2" for NW-A3000 and 1.5" for NW-A1000) gorgeous OLED display

- Automatic Japanese syllabary conversion

- features "Artist link"

- new "Intelligent shuffle" feature

- 6 EQ mode: Heavy/Pop/Jazz/Unique/Custom 1/Custom 2

- utilize new "CONNECT Player" software

- support MP3 (VBR & CBR) ~ 32-320 kbps, ATRAC3 ~ 66/105/132 kbps and ATRAC3plus ~ 48/64/96/128/160/192/256/320 kbps. *WMA support will be enabled via a firmware update this December 2005.

- Hi-Speed USB 2.0

- Color matching stylish headphone

- Power supply: Built-in lithium ion chargeable battery *removable - instruction within the operating instructions.

- utilize either USB charge/AC adaptor charge.

- Equipped with G protection

- Size: 65.2 × 104.2 × 21.4mm (depth, height, width)

- Mass: approx. 182g

NW-A3000/1000 Series | Accessories

- "CONNECT Player" (CD-ROM)

- headphone (40cm in length)

- headphone extension cords (65cm in length)

- USB cable

- Quick Start Guide

- AC adaptor and AC cords

Sony's Astro Nova Network Walkman Macromedia Presentation

top_main_astro.jpg

--> click here

<HR noShade SIZE=1>

prod_img_nw-a608.jpgprod_img_nw-a608_li.jpgprod_img_nw-a608_n.jpg

NW-A608, 2GB - ¥32,000 (USD$290) *available colors: Violet, Silver, Blue and Pink; Limited Edition Color - Emerald Blue and Gold ¥30,000

prod_img_nw-a607.jpgprod_img_nw-a607_n.jpg

NW-A607, 1GB - ¥27,000 (USD$245) *available colors: Violet, Silver, Blue and Pink; Limited Edition Color - Gold ¥25,000

prod_img_nw-a605.jpg

NW-A605, 512MB - ¥22,000 (USD$199) *available colors: Violet, Silver, Blue and Pink

NW-A600 Series | Features & Specifications

- new "Intelligent shuffle" feature: 1) Most frequently listened tunes shuffle mode, 2) Time/Date based shuffle mode, 3) Artist link shuffle mode and 4) Sports shuffle mode.

1) sony3_18.gif 2) sony3_16.gif 3) sony3_15.gif 4) sony3_17.gif

- beautiful OLED screen display

- features digital sound presets ~ adjustable bass and treble; up to 8 different stages.

- utilize new "CONNECT Player" software

- High-speed USB 2.0

- FM tuner: Reception frequency is FM:76.0-90.0MHz, and TV:1-3ch.

- Built-in lithium ion chargeable battery. *removable - instruction within the operating instructions.

- 50 hours music playback; rated at ATRAC 132kbps mode with power saving mode

- support MP3 (VBR & CBR) ~ 32-320 kbps, ATRAC3 ~ 66/105/132 kbps and ATRAC3plus ~ 48/64/96/128/160/192/256/320 kbps. *WMA support will be enabled via a firmware update this December 2005.

- Jog shuffle control dial

- Stylish headphone that matches to each main body color

- Clock/Day display

- Size: 84.9 × 28.8 × 13.9mm (depth, height, width)

- Mass: approx. 48g

NW-A600 Series | Accessories

- "CONNECT Player" (CD-ROM)

- USB cable

- Quick start guide

- Smart clip

- Carrying pouch

- Matching color headphone.

<HR noShade SIZE=1>

AV Watch | NW-A3000/1000/600 Series Pictorial, ... actual pictures of the unit

--> click here

<HR noShade SIZE=1>

Girl_Headphones_section_main.jpg

Berlin, 8 September 2005 - 26 years after WALKMAN created a revolutionary music lifestyle, the new Sony WALKMAN will now redefine it.

Simply called ‘WALKMAN’, the new digital music player from Sony features spectacular ergonomic design and an exciting range of intelligent features that allow the user to enjoy music in a totally new way.

Sony WALKMAN is a true extension of the user’s personal taste and musical preferences. At the press of a button, the ‘Artist Link’ function will search every artist, album and song stored on the device and offer suggestions of artists and bands closely linked to the genre of music being played at the time.

Sony WALKMAN, available in two capacity sizes - 20GB (NW-A3000) and 6GB (NW-A1000), also features two new shuffle functions. By selecting ‘My Favorite Shuffle’, the device automatically selects the most listened to 100 songs and plays them at random. The ‘Time Machine Shuffle’ function randomly selects a year and plays all of the songs from that particular year that are currently held on the device.

Featuring an advanced organic EL display (2 inches on the 20GB version and 1.5 inches on the 6GB model), Sony WALKMAN not only incorporates a range of great features, it also offers the ultimate in ease of use through an appealing user interface and fantastic visibility.

gallery_5220_130_177477.jpg

Once switched on, a mobile phone style ‘Home’ menu appears offering nine different options that can be selected via the four-way directional button. These include ‘Music Library’, ‘Play Mode’, ‘Initial Search’, ‘Intelligent Shuffle’, ‘Favorite 100’, ‘Play History’, ‘Settings’, ‘Playlist’ and ‘Now Playing’.

Music can be searched in a variety of ways, via ‘Genre’, ‘Artist’, ‘Album’, ‘Song’, ‘Release Date’, ‘Rating’ and ‘Recently Transferred’, all of which can be scrolled through to enable users to find their music faster and easier. Sony WALKMAN records three years of playback history that can be searched and also features the first ever ‘Initial Search’ on a hard disc device, allowing the user to scroll from A-Z for ultimate ease of use.

“We are raising the bar with the new Sony WALKMAN”, said Gregory Kukolj, General Manager at Sony Europe. “This stunning new device will be instantly appealing to both style followers and technology-minded individuals alike. One drawn by the spectacular design and the other by the outstanding ease of use and features that really deliver. The new Sony WALKMAN is an irresistible proposition for users who want the ultimate digital music player.”

gallery_5220_130_70450.jpg

The 20GB Sony WALKMAN is available in two stylish colourways, violet and silver; while the 6GB unit comes in the additional colours of pink and blue. All devices package with colour-matched headphones.

The NEW WALKMAN will be simultaneously introduced with a whole range of design-matching accessories such as a stylish remote control for easier navigation, various carrying cases, a docking station for convenient connection with the PC as well as a docking speaker system giving the option to both connect to a PC as well as playing music through the speakers.

gallery_5220_130_49236.jpg

"CONNECT Player"

Sony WALKMAN features ATRAC3plus and MP3 playback and ships with the new “CONNECT Player” that offers advanced music library management as well as providing seamless access to the CONNECT™ catalogue of more than one million tracks and albums available for download.

sony1_4.jpg

“CONNECT Player” incorporates a new and improved user interface that features a simple ‘drag and drop’ function for easy transfer from library to player. “CONNECT Player” supports the new functions within Sony WALKMAN as well as providing automatic software updates and increased Codec support.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Ishiyoshi you guys are quick I only just saw Indeego's post.

So it seems that Connect will replace SonicStage (good news hopefully).

These Walkmen or Walkmanz look like real iPod killers. Apple could take legal action against that wheel thing though. There should be a good accessory market for these too.

We will update the main post of this thread with information pertaining to the new NWA600 series accordingly ~ the information is still trickling in.

Thanks Ishoyoshi,

Not being able to read Japanese I wasn't sure if there was something blatantly obvious about them on the AV or Sony Japan site.

What is the difference between these new NWA6s and the NWE4/5s apart from a button that says DISP FUNC ?

Ah.. and, 'Group' on that jog shuttle controller is now labelled 'Album'. My guess is that they're just trying to make it more mainstream... whereas the E400/500 (at least, in North America) are kind of niche players.

I don't think I'll be upgrading from my HD5... even though I do miss my iPod's shuffle, I don't think it warrants another upgrade.

Edited by carsncars

What is the difference between these new NWA6s and the NWE4/5s apart from a button that says DISP FUNC ?

Sony's press release says:

1. Can shuffle just the most-played tracks (requires connect player)

2. time machine shuffle - shuffles all tracks from a given year.

3. sports shuffle - feature like Rio's "Entertain me!", compiles a set of music based on a given period of time

4. artist-link shuffle - pulls together artists of similar genre (requires connect player)

The new players are scheduled to receive a firmware update in December, which will offer WMA playback. No words on whether the 4/50x will receive the same.

And of course, the new players are able to play all the new A3+ bitrates out of the box.

Sony's press release says:

1. Can shuffle just the most-played tracks (requires connect player)

2. time machine shuffle - shuffles all tracks from a given year.

3. sports shuffle - feature like Rio's "Entertain me!", compiles a set of music based on a given period of time

4. artist-link shuffle - pulls together artists of similar genre (requires connect player)

The new players are scheduled to receive a firmware update in December, which will offer WMA playback. No words on whether the 4/50x will receive the same.

And of course, the new players are able to play all the new A3+ bitrates out of the box.

Sony seems to be selling it alongside the 400/500.. so I doubt there'll be a firmware update.

http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/Walkman/Lineup...ineup#nw-a608li

Good pictures spex considering the conditions.

You're game, photos and an iPod inthe Sony canteen.

Pity there is no sign of a british racing green version or even a pearly white one yet.

From my resources, no, it will not support any current ATRAC device -- this may change.

This kinda bothers me. Is Sony going to abandon the older devices in favor of this new hardware-software combo? I hope the new Connect player is much better than Sonicstage, but disregarding previous devices is not good for the market. Can't blame them though, Sony is a consumer electronics company.

I doubt they would simply drop support for older ATRAC devices since it's such an easy feature to add and it would discourage existing customers from buying more tracks from the Sony Music Store (which you know they don't want to happen).

At any rate, I hope we don't have to wait until November for the new Connect software to be available. Getting it out sometime this month would be nice. :ol_lol:

NW-A3000 = on wish list.

Native WMA support = good. I use ATRAC & WMA for my digital files, so native Sony support for mp3 meant very little. I find WMA a more attractive option.

But...

- is the battery removable? (question was asked before, but I didn't see any answers to that - it was the ultimate advantage of the NWHD5 over just about any other DAP out there except one or two others with removable batteries).

- given how Sony music management software doesn't like interacting with other Sony music management software, I wonder what the consequences would be of having both SonicStage and Connect on the same machine.

NW-A3000 = on wish list.

Native WMA support = good. I use ATRAC & WMA for my digital files, so native Sony support for mp3 meant very little. I find WMA a more attractive option.

But...

- is the battery removable? (question was asked before, but I didn't see any answers to that - it was the ultimate advantage of the NWHD5 over just about any other DAP out there except one or two others with removable batteries).

- given how Sony music management software doesn't like interacting with other Sony music management software, I wonder what the consequences would be of having both SonicStage and Connect on the same machine.

I remember reading that the battery is of a built-in lithium ion rechargeable battery; and it is plausible to assume it is not removable.

*Correction: built-in rechargeable battery of the NW-A3000/1000 is removable.

Sony will get it right - this is obviously their last chance on the market ..

I'm looking forward to the first review of the new software

BTW: I can't resist to think this not a really "new" news for Kurisu :ol_rolleyes:

I imagine that they'll be priced accordingly once they reach the States. Of course, the NW-E50x series is a bit overpriced here, retailing for $200 at Circuit City -- that's a bit of overkill IMHO.

Especially when you have other 1 GB players (shuffle) going for less than $150 (even if they are screenless and stripped down feature-wise).

And the difference with the 500 series is basically FM radio, right? Will all the 600 series include FM radio? It's kinda worthless to me, so it'll be too bad if there isn't a $200 2GB flash player from Sony.

I got my hands on a pre-production model of the new WALKMAN player yesterday - it looks fantastic.

Attached are a few pictures I took. They're a bit rough & ready as I only had 10 mins with the player - on a table in the Sony canteen(!)

More information at Sony Product News.

Just looking at these pictures again... doesn't the OLED (or whatever it's called) make the LCD on the iPod Mini just look archaic? I've been holding out on a new jukebox since the Pocket is working nicely for me, but one of these days I have to get *something* with one of those screens...

Looks nice, but your still using a small hard drive that will fail, guess they have to cave into the ipuddlle crowd, rather have the Sony, but still irks me that Sony lost it with MD because they refused to market it right.

Thanks for the pics.

Bob

Well, what will occur is that the new Connect player will coincide with Sonicstage and then become independant in Spring.

Sorry - I'm not really sure what this means. Do you mean there will be a new version of SS that will come out at the same time as Connect Player? And then Connect player will become the only player sometime after that?

Any idea if there will be firmware updates to allow HD5 to play the new Atrac bitrates?

Sad that no firmware updates will come for current devices, even those like the NW-E507 which is quite new and is firmware upgradeable.

I would be surprised to find out that all current ATRAC devices (HDD,Flash,MD/Hi-MD) would cease to work with the new software. At most, I would imagine that the functionality/integration you receive between hardware and software will be lacking. This of course may encourage people to go out and buy new portable devices. :)

Personally, I'm excited to see where all this is going. As long as they keep MD support (and continue the reliability of uploading recorded content) and making the software better at actually managing the music files and being stable. All I hope is that they find a better way on the backend to store info. An Access. mdb isn't too great once the file gets big... I'm sure it's part of why SS can be slow at pulling up my library at times. But I digress....

Do we know anything about the new Connect player yet, besides those pictures? I want to be able to create playlists on my computer to playback on those portables...

Man. I'm remembering a time not so long ago when I thought $130 was a lot to pay for a portable player (CD walkman).

Just looking at these pictures again... doesn't the OLED (or whatever it's called) make the LCD on the iPod Mini just look archaic? 

It does. On the other hand, one-colour OLED makes these new players look archaic compared with the Toshiba Gigabeat's LCD screen. Not that the new Sonys look bad. Hell, I want one right this moment. But as always with Sony products, there's some incredible stuff (long battery life, cool design) combined with some major disadvantages. I kind of wonder if Sony missed the boat - again. Everyone else is producing colour-screen players. The industry trend. Suddenly Sony announces these non-photo things - behind the trend, again.

On the other hand... who cares about colour screens. This might just be *the* music player for anyone who wants something good looking, without any useless add-ons (photo, video, etc).

The color screen on the Vaio Pocket is nice-- but it's not necessary for me to enjoy the player. It's a fringe benefit to me, really. I don't need it to view photos, and I can't watch movies on it, so it's not crucial.

Music is about what I hear, not what I see. If these players are streamlined and do what they're suppoesed to well-- that is, play music-- I'm completely happy.

And can't they do color OLEDs? Of course that would affect the color/design of the player, but still.

I just don't see any reason for this player to be bigger than the previous ones. All it adds, besides a screen a little bigger, is software-related. Why is it so much bigger and heavier? Granted, it's still in the iPod range, but the NW-HD series was always closer to the iPod mini. They should at least offer the new perpendicular 40 GB HDs.