HiMD Destination Codes

himdman

HI,

Today I had a chance to peek at some himd service manuals.

It seems the destination is controlled by code 113 in the service menu of the players.

I haven't had a chance to test them yet cause my unit is being repaired. Maybe we can bypass the euro volume cap this way.

EDIT by kurisu: Click here for info on how to enter service mode.

Enter these values at code 113 and press pause to save.

MZ-NH900

US 21

Canadian/Australian 41

Europe/UK A1

Hong kong/Taiwan 25

I'm sorry, but I'm totally confused... when I get to the service MODE of my NH900, these are my 'choices' to change:

1 0000

R_0005

N20000

N10000

N 0000

WHERE in all of that am I supposed to enter "113", or use the US code "21" ??

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blueradja... just follow the "uncapped thanks to MDCF"-link in my signature... it shows the exact key sequence for uncapping the NH900 (and other 1st gen HiMD-models)

I'm sorry but it is those very threads that confused me... none of them seem to address the things I'm SEEING on my display screen...

Then I see "VOL+ / FF / FF / FF / FF / FF (gets you to "113 xxxSXX (xxx values counting up...)" with XX being your current setting, probably A0)" and I'm like, HOW do I press VOLUME PLUS forward when Volume is UP or DOWN on the joystick.??

I'm sorry but it is those very threads that confused me... none of them seem to address the things I'm SEEING on my display screen...

Then I see "VOL+ / FF / FF / FF / FF / FF (gets you to "113 xxxSXX (xxx values counting up...)" with XX being your current setting, probably A0)" and I'm like, HOW do I press VOLUME PLUS forward when Volume is UP or DOWN on the joystick.??

OHHH WAIT I GET IT NOW.... I'll let you know how it goes. Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my nh900 this morning and before I went to work I listened to some of my music at full volume 30/30 (it is most unsatisfactory). When I got home I did the euro-hack (A1 -> S25), no problems thanks to good instructions (thanks guys) however there dosen't seem to be any massive increase in volume.

Probably this question has been asked before, but my searches have yielded no results and this seems like the most appropriate thread for this question:

Do the US/Euro/Japanese versions of the NH900 have different circuitry (headphone amp) I know the Euro version is meant to be firmware modded to reduce output to 3.2mW(I think), but is it a hardware issue as well as I was under the impression that all of them were the same.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide with this subject.

Please note: There has been an increase in volume just not what I expected. My MZ-N1 seems much louder.

Edited by cthulu

I just got my nh900 this morning and before I went to work I listened to some of my music at full volume 30/30 (it is most unsatisfactory). When I got home I did the euro-hack (A1 -> S25), no problems thanks to good instructions (thanks guys) however there dosen't seem to be any massive increase in volume.

Probably this question has been asked before, but my searches have yielded no results and this seems like the most appropriate thread for this question:

Do the US/Euro/Japanese versions of the NH900 have different circuitry (headphone amp) I know the Euro version is meant to be firmware modded to reduce output to 3.2mW(I think), but is it a hardware issue as well as I was under the impression that all of them were the same.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide with this subject.

Please note: There has been an increase in volume just not what I expected. My MZ-N1 seems much louder.

I can completely understand your frustration (being a lover of high volume level music myself), but my problem with this issue was solved when I bought canalphones, instead of standard, regular heaphones. I have the Pole 4 SHARP MD33s, and between cancelling out ambient sound, and being closer to the drum, it boosts the output almost 2X.

I can completely understand your frustration (being a lover of high volume level music myself), but my problem with this issue was solved when I bought canalphones, instead of standard, regular heaphones. I have the Pole 4 SHARP MD33s, and between cancelling out ambient sound, and being closer to the drum, it boosts the output almost 2X.

I think that may be the solution to my problem, as when I was on the train today I could hear the ambient noises, when I am in my house however it seems loud enough.

Only problem is I don't have alot of money left for canalphones, can you or anyone else recommend a good set for a good price or point me in the direction of a bargain. The best I have seen (value VS quality) is the seinheiser CX300's for £30. I wouldn't mind a set of Shures but they are way beyond my budget.

Apart from the volume issue AND the Track FastFWD/Rewind seek times the NH900 is an excellent machine, I can't wait to try out recording on Scotland's best Pink Floyd tribute band next month :D

Only problem is I don't have alot of money left for canalphones, can you or anyone else recommend a good set for a good price or point me in the direction of a bargain. The best I have seen (value VS quality) is the seinheiser CX300's for £30. I wouldn't mind a set of Shures but they are way beyond my budget.

Doesn't £30 equal to about $45 USD? If so, that's how much the Shure's cost (audiocubes MD33s $39.99)

Trust me when I say this; these headphones are the absolute BEST for the price - they sound incredible!! Quite a nice compliment to the NH900 (and silver even!)

Edited by theblueraja

Raja, those are Sharp, not Shure. I'm pretty sure the Sennheiser CX300s are exactly the same as the SHarp model but with a standard 3-pole plug.

They're available here for just over £30, the retailer is excellent but the phones may be cheaper elsewhere.

Raja, those are Sharp, not Shure. I'm pretty sure the Sennheiser CX300s are exactly the same as the SHarp model but with a standard 3-pole plug.

They're available here for just over £30, the retailer is excellent but the phones may be cheaper elsewhere.

Well I said Sharp the FIRST time, does that count? :D Messed up, srry.

To anyone claiming, that the hack doesn't work: Use the EQ.

I had no volume increase after applying the hack.

Then I selected one of the custom settings in the EQ and pushed all bands to the maximum.

Normally the european NH700 caps at Volume 19/30 with heavy pumping, when the volume is increased further, keeping the Volume at the same level, that you get at 27/30 without EQ.

With the hack at value 113:xxx00, the pumping is gone, the volume increases linear up to 30/30, giving an equivalent of 50/30 without EQ.

So, apply the hack, set it to 00, then use the EQ to add Gain.

Btw, this: http://dexotaku.ath.cx/linked/md.org/2005-02-11/30-EQ-wn.png

was the giveaway... :)

BTW, when you say "set it to 00" what do you mean, I hacked my nh900 113 code to the US code 113:xxx21, what is the 00 for?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by cthulu

BTW, when you say "set it to 00" what do you mean, I hacked my nh900 113 code to the US code 113:xxx21, what is the 00 for?

As I remember, it was something like worldwide code for the NH700. NH900-Codes can be different.

My advice: As I said back then, turn up all EQ-sliders to the max, turn up the volume as well.

If it is now considerably louder, the hack has been a success.

If not, check, if you really had used the correct location and possibly use one of

the other non-european codes given for the NH900.

Capped recorders seem to be not that limited on the normal volume range,

but to prevent the additional gain achieveable through the equalizer.

As I remember, it was something like worldwide code for the NH700. NH900-Codes can be different.

My advice: As I said back then, turn up all EQ-sliders to the max, turn up the volume as well.

If it is now considerably louder, the hack has been a success.

If not, check, if you really had used the correct location and possibly use one of

the other non-european codes given for the NH900.

Capped recorders seem to be not that limited on the normal volume range,

but to prevent the additional gain achieveable through the equalizer.

I got confused because the "00" code wan't listed as one of the nh700's codes in the earlier posts in this thread. I have applied hack and max'd the EQ, it is definetly much louder, I just wanted to make sure that the 00 code wasn't for a total unlock(if you know what I mean, I just didn't want to try it out with making sure first) it is a total travesty that the MAX volume without the hack and EQ is so quiet (anyway I am sure hundreds before me have made a comment like that). Thanks for the clarification.

The volume also seems to depend on the song that is played as well (maybe due to original encoding of the MP3 sources that I am using). I have yet to try it out on a CD source (as most of my CDs are already encoded in MP3 onto my hard drive because I purchased an additional 160GB drive).

With my pair of MDR-XD200s the volume at 19/30 is loud enough, but with my cheapo sennheiser earphones 25+/30 seems loud enough without lots of ambient noise. I will invest in a good set of canalphones when my budget allows.

I have bit the bullet and ordered a set of Sennheiser CX300s for £32(inc P&P), I haveno doubt from reviews and suggestions that this will end my problem with the NH900s volume limitations, I may even be able to revert to the UK destination code so I don't have to max out the EQ (which sometimes gives me a sore head).

I may even be able to revert to the UK destination code so I don't have to max out the EQ (which sometimes gives me a sore head).

This is not necessary, simply don't turn up the volume that much. However leaving it on a non-european setting removes the pumping effect of the limiter on bass-heavy tracks at a higher volume level.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for being dumb, but part of it is fear of effing up my NHF800.

I successfully made it into service mode, then scrolled through the menus, but how or where do I go from there? I went to "audio", and setting 113, but I have scrolling numbers and can't change anything but the last letter.

What to do?

just follow the link 'uncapped thanks to MDCF' in my signature... it points to a step by step explanation of how to perform the hack for 1st gen models (including the NH800)

just follow the link 'uncapped thanks to MDCF' in my signature... it points to a step by step explanation of how to perform the hack for 1st gen models (including the NH800)

Much appreciated! I observed that the sound from the unit is now more "lively". I noticed it was a bit dead before, when compared to higher powered sources through my er6i's. Now it's sounding good, along with revealing some subtleties in the background.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the info people, now I will be using my NH700 a lot more.

The hack worked well for me, though it was a bit tricky I now have better sound.

I've only done a NW-A3000 before and that was easy compared to this one, I've seen on other threads that there are more options in service mode for the NH700 and I will be giving them a try soon, Cheers all

• 6 months later...

I set the value of mine to 30 (not 25) and the gains are fantastic (I mean in terms of quality sound at higher levels without that horrible pumping compression/limitation).

Of course there is always the danger of me doing danger to my ears - but I'm a free adult, and I'm quite capable of regulating my own volumes without having the nanny European Union doing it for me 'for my own good'. Still, that's for another forum!

Many thanks to all involved in getting the hack. :thank_you2:

Edited by KanakoAndTheNumbSkulls