Recording Md On Hi-mdto Be Listened On Netmd

Rate this topic

jimbrett9

Hi

Ive had a minidic for about ten years now and have just bought a MZ-NH1600 HiMd (not enough pennies in pocket for a better one!!), i'm learning as i go along and have found useful info on this site. Anyway i am trying to record a mini disc for a friend of mine but he only has a net md. Am i right in thinking that as long as i set my recorder in Mini disc mode i can copy him a disc? Is it o.k. to use Sonic stage to transfer onto the actual disc using Atrac3 and NOT Atrac 3plus so he'll be able to play the disc in his net Md?

I think it will do it but just wanted to check.

cheers

jim

Hi

Ive had a minidic for about ten years now and have just bought a MZ-NH1600 HiMd (not enough pennies in pocket for a better one!!), i'm learning as i go along and have found useful info on this site. Anyway i am trying to record a mini disc for a friend of mine but he only has a net md. Am i right in thinking that as long as i set my recorder in Mini disc mode i can copy him a disc? Is it o.k. to use Sonic stage to transfer onto the actual disc using Atrac3 and NOT Atrac 3plus so he'll be able to play the disc in his net Md?

I think it will do it but just wanted to check.

cheers

jim

Yes, it's quite easy. Take a blank MD (or one already formatted to NetMD) and put it in your HiMD player. Using SonicStage, transfer the songs over using LP2 or LP4 ATRAC. The disc will play in any NetMD player.

you've probably already figured this out by now ;-)

cheers peoples!!

Wot a good site, never knew this was here, very fast and pleasant responses even if i started out by making a statement and a half!!. I will be back for sure as i want to get the best out of this new gadget. Even though it's entry level i am already impressed as it allows me to just chuck loads of my CD's onto one disc and off we go rather than taking loads of discs with me.

thanks again

jim

Guest tony wong

what's most important is the time u put in the MD disc into the Hi-MD unit

it will let u decide format in Hi-MD or MD mode

if u have chosen MD mode and not Hi-MD mode,

no matter what u have done later, your friend can still play the disc

reason : u can only record in SP, LP2 and LP4 mode in a MD disc formated in MD mode

these new format(linear PCM, Hi-SP, Hi-LP are only available after u put in a disc that is formated in Hi-MD mode

*sighs*

what's most important is the time u put in the MD disc into the Hi-MD unit

it will let u decide format in Hi-MD or MD mode

if u have chosen MD mode and not Hi-MD mode,

no matter what u have done later, your friend can still play the disc

reason : u can only record in SP, LP2 and LP4 mode in a MD disc formated in MD mode

these new format(linear PCM, Hi-SP, Hi-LP are only available after u put in a disc that is formated in Hi-MD mode

You're half-right, Tony.

If you wish to use an MD as netMD / MDLP from SonicStage, put it in your recorder and then initialise the disc as a standard MD from SonicStage. The mode the unit is in is irrelevant if you're using SS. Also, if you put a blank standard MD into the recorder, unless you've changed the default settings for SS it will use it as a HiMD-formatted disc.

Note that if you use an MD with existing tracks on it in MDLP mode [i.e. the disc is NOT formatted as HiMD], then SS will automatically use the disc in MDLP mode.

When recording on the unit itself, you have to put the unit in netMD mode using the appropriate menu option, then either use a blank MD, use an MD that already has tracks on it in netMD/ MDLP mode, or format/"erase all" a HiMD-formatted disc.

Bitrate/mode limitations from SS are:

* You write tracks of any type to HiMD formatted discs

* You can only use MDLP modes with netMD / MDLP discs

Bitrate/mode limitations when recording on the units themselves are:

* You can only use netMD/ MDLP modes with standard MDs with the unit in netMD mode

* You can only use HiMD modes with HiMD-formatted discs