Exclusive ATRACLife NW-A3000 + NW-A1000 Review

Rate this topic

Good day,

A little birdie passed these along my way (thank you, A) -- I figured that the majority of you would be interested in quality pictures of the upcoming Walkman; the purple unit is the NW-A1000, and the NW-A3000 is the silver/black looking unit. Please feel free to ask any question you wish about the NW-A3000 or NW-A1000, as we will be able to answer it with 100% accuracy. Enjoy, and don't forget to check out some impressions of these new units below..

Click on the images to enlarge them.

It's interesting to see how the NW-A1000 (the 6gb model) is roughly the same size as the NW-HD5, but the NW-A3000 (the 20gb model) is actually larger. The shape of these new devices is obviously very esoteric and will most certainly catch the eye of any gadget enthusiast when they go live. Both units have a proprietary US connection, line out via the headphone jack (although the cradle accessory has a dedicated line out), and full ATRAC3plus (even the new bitrates), mp3, and eventually WMA support in December. The buttons are refreshing, tactile (somewhat akin to the NW-HD3), and work well. The options are incredible, probably the best in any MP3 unit at this point in a certain sense. Search is equally great -- you can do artist, album, song, genre, three years of playback history, release date, recent transfers, favorite 100, a rating system that is created by your usage, and an improved bookmarking and playlisting interface. Firmware is upgradeable!

Expect the material on these devices to drastically improve in regards to scratches, although expect some fingerprints.

After reading my words, are you as stunned as I am? Are we talking about Sony here, or a complete alter-ego? :ol_groucho:

More pictures of the NW-A1000:

[radically different design from the usual blister packaging - a vaio flavor?]

[comparison pictures with the NW-E507]

[buttons whilst orange and white -- yes, they change.]

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

may i please be honest?? compared to the hd5, its f-ugly...

i really dont think this is an ipod killer....

but, hopefully, the new connect player will be far nicer to use.

chris, will these things have a full eq for mp3 files? from what others have said, the hd5 has no custom 5 band eq for mp3 files, only atrac. what about the battery? usb connector? line out? full atrac3plus support?

cheers

CAn you tell us what the buttons down the left and right hand edge are for.

Also any further information on the connect player software, specifically compatibility with older hardware and general availability?

Finally, can you confirm that these players will play all new ATRAC3+ bit rates?

WOW! fantastic! that's just what I wanted to know! how big the 3000 was compared to the HD5! Thanx a lot.

Are these pics your pics? if so may I ask some questions?

I'm starting to be excited about this series, though I already have a HD5. But Chris, if you could touch these devices, and put some music into them, it means that you had to use a software? right? what did you use then? The new Connect player soft?

I'm so worried about it , as I read that this new soft wouldn't be compatible with all the sony devices before A series! scandal!!! is that true? or did you use Sonicstage 3.2 to transfer music on the A series?

Well, are they heavy? how's your feeling about buttons, options available and search function?

Thanx a lot for the pics!!! :ol_bah:

Hi all from Spain.

Fantastic pics.

I really like these players, specially in these pics. And the a3000 is smaller than i expected - those japanese girls and their small hands ;-) - but it would be perfect at least 1 cm shorter or a 40 gb hd in the same space. I think the ¿black? unit is very sexy. Well, they are not better, simply different than the hd´s ones.

Something about the sound quality? mp3 gapless?. And the remote, i don´t see a lcd screen and, for me,this is a bad thing.

Sorry for my english.

Cheers. Un saludo.

hows the user interface? better than the hd5? compared to other players?

hows easy is it to use the a3000 with only one hand?

also, is this the silver or black a3000?

most important, how is the material when it comes to finger prints and scratches?

thanks a million :)

Edited by szsiddiq1214

1) How annoying is the glossy surface when it comes to visability (e.g. in bright sunlight) ?

2) Can you say something about batterylife ( I think 30 hours should not be for Atrac256kbit )

3) Which functions are provided via the remote?

btw: Are you a Rammstein-Fan or is this just a preinstalled testsong? :ol_rolleyes:

they sure are small. the hd5 is minute next to an ipod photo but the shape of these i think lead many internet people to assume these are massive. they sure look like fingerprint magnets. kinda hot although pity it's monochrome.

chris, will these things have a full eq for mp3 files? from what others have said, the hd5  has no custom 5 band eq for mp3 files, only atrac. what about the battery? usb connector? line out? full atrac3plus support?

No EQ for mp3's. It has a proprietary USB connection; line out via the headphone jack, although the cradle has a dedicated line out; full atrac3plus (even the new bitrates), mp3, and eventually WMA support in December.

CAn you tell us what the buttons down the left and right hand edge are for.

The button on the left is the "LINK" button (which gives instant access to artist link), and on the right is the volume control.

or did you use Sonicstage 3.2 to transfer music on the A series?

Well, are they heavy? how's your feeling about buttons, options available and search function?

Sonicstage 3.2 will work with these units, albeit in a limited capacity. The buttons are refreshing, tactile, and work well. The options are incredible, probably the best in any MP3 unit at this point in a certain sense. Search is equally great -- you can do artist, album, song, genre, three years of playback history, release date, recent transfers, favorite 100, a rating system that is created by your usage, and an improved bookmarking and playlisting interface.

Something about the sound quality? mp3 gapless?. And the remote, i don´t see a lcd screen and, for me,this is a bad thing.

I don't believe mp3's are gapless, but I'll look into it. As for the remote, yes, no LCD -- why would you need one with such a beautiful display? Older remotes are compatible, but not fully because this unit has features that were not in any previous generation, so expect limited functionality in that regard.

hows the user interface? compared to other players?

hows easy is it to use the a3000 with only one hand? 

also, is this the silver or black a3000?

most important, how is the material when it comes to finger prints and scratches?

This is about as close to the champion of UI (iPod) as Sony may get. One handed operation should be fine for most people, given the shape and response of the unit's buttons. This is the silver A3000; there is no black. Expect the material on these devices to drastically differ in regards to scratches, although expect some fingerprints.

1) How annoying is the glossy surface when it comes to visability (e.g. in bright sunlight) ?

2) Can you say something about batterylife ( I think 30 hours should not be for Atrac256kbit )

3) Which functions are provided via the remote?

You've played with the RH10 -- you know how OLED is. 128kbps ATRAC3plus plays for about 29 hours, so somewhere in the range of half that figure for 256kbps ATRAC3plus is plausible. The remote offers volume, 3-direction key (Play/Pause/FF/RW/Vol + -/Bookmark) and hold.

Can you pause and quickly fast forward to a point in the track, as you can with the HD5.

Yes.

Expect the material on these devices to drastically differ in regards to scratches, although expect some fingerprints.

is that for good or bad? is the material more scratch resistant than say an iPod? compared to an HD5?

and how is the display in bright sunlight? im not familier with the RH10 :)

ooo, man thers so much to ask...umm

no removable battery, right?

how is scrolling thru lists of music?

oh, one issue i had with the HD5 was that in the menu tree it went artist --> album and in the album section there was no way to view all songs from the artist - you had to go thru each album. is there an "all" option now?

Edited by szsiddiq1214

Any reason given why it's bigger than the HD5? (Although, from the pics, it's not that much bigger, I'd say it kind of looked smaller than the iPod, but the sizes say otherwise) Or why the battery life seems lower than the HD5?

Will this be out in NA before Christmas? (I really hope it's easy to buy as well. Going to Best Buy, Walmart, Circuit City, you'll find no HD series of the mp3 players, at least, around here. I really hope it changes with this.)

Any surprises about the player left to be revealed?

How's the build quality?

Thanks for answering.

Edited by EZero

Build quality is very good.Screen material is prone to fingerprints-but not anymore than E400/500 series.

scratch resistance(so far!)is similar to the aforementioned products(very good)

The battery life is lower due to the charging options-capacity capped to facilitate multi-use cable(usb/AC shared).-and speedier charging times.(dont quote me on this part-as I am only using usb.)

Battery life is very good.My first few hours was almost totally occupied with playing with the GUI-without any reduction shown on the batt.indicator.

Power save modes include 15sec screen shut off,and 'auto'shut off(about 20 secs)

Power save cannot be disabled(so screen will be off most of the time).

There is a 'screensaver'-consisting of a sort of 'shooting star'...but not too impressive.

Screen is not very visible in direct light(like all of Sonys other mono-org.EL screens)-but this is not an issue with me(i dont like reading my display in the street like an ipod loser...lol).

The 3000 I have has some light leakage from the 'artist link'key(upper left corner of unit)-indicating a less than perfect component seal-but its not noticible in everday usage-and my unit is not a a final indication of build.

Depending on colour the screens edge matrix is visible through the plastic from some angles-just like on the red/pink e series players(again not an issue with me)

The search features(not related to artist link-and connect player-as I have not used either yet)are very fast and fluid-noticibly smoother than the HD5.

The search tree is from left to right(alphabetically)with the option of scrolling down within a group of letters(ie.a-c,d-f...)-indicated by a scroll bar to the right(not sure if that makes sense...lol)-overall a very very good search performance in all areas.(i only have a couple of hundred tracks on my 3000 and 1000-so this may differ with larger librarys-but I doubt it)

-once selected a track is played virtually instantly.

-hope this has answered some questions. :ol_sleep:

This was a really excellent post you did there! thanx for all these infos.

I'm really looking foward getting a A3000 when it comes out (I live in Tokyo, and I bought the HD5 when it came out here. It was my first HDD type, as I kept sticking to MD and Hi-MD before-I'm still using them though, no other product can record analog and mic sounds as easily with a great sound quality).

I'm now sure about the great quality of this A Series, but still my big question is: how about Connect Player???

So I'd really really like to know more about Connect player, bundled with these A series.

Will it be compatible with all the previous SONY devices (Hi-MD, HD series, Bean etc.??). I don't see any good reason it won't be, right? It seems to be automaticaly upgradable too! well, if it isn't compatible, how is it going to be? We're gonna have 2 different programs? the cool (to be confirmed...) Connect player AND the old clunky sonicstage 3.2? kind of trouble right? will they share the same song library? or is connect player a real upgrade of SS, deleting SS to replace it when installed?

I plan giving my HD5 to a friend, but will it be a poisoned present,if only working with SS 3.2? I wouldn't dare offering a sony product to somebody, when knowing he/she's going to use SS...

I'm sorry for being so long, but I'd really want an excellent program working with all my SONY devices (psp included). Would you ahev some infos about this?

Thanx again for all the previous infos you gave us!

PS: is there a clock in the A3000/1000?

Hi and thanks.

Some noticiable HD or other background noise during playback?. I remember one of my old Sony discmans with a very frustrating background noise ( "electronic birdies") in quiet passages and transitions.

And the remote: I prefer no remote than a remote with no lcd. I´ll try my remotes with lcd.

Cheers. Un saludo.

I should be getting 'connect player'over the next few days(fingers crossed).

I will endevour to answer any questions regarding it on this site ASAP.

Any attempt to use any unique features of the hardware(artist link et.)are greeted by the request to .."connect appropriate software..."

Cheers

biozet: Do you know if Sony have any plans to release a competing product for the iPod nano? Meaning a 2GB or 4GB flash based DAP will full GUI system like the HDx or Axxxx series? (not like the current Sony flash based units).

HD based DAPs are not that interesting anymore. Almost every manufacture has released a unit with micro HDD already (iRiver H10, Rio Carbon, Zen micro/photo, etc). Even Creative is going to release an 8GB zen micro photo, for only $250! Sony is really running late in the game. A flash based and thinner A1xxx unit would be nice.

OK. I'm thinking of getting one of these but can u put music from other sites (apart from connect-europe.com) onto the connect player software thing. I get my music from a different site (which is legal and you do have to pay for tracks) and can I use them on this player? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm no good with computers!

Answer asap!

:ol_love: xxx :ol_love:

This was a really excellent post you did there! thanx for all these infos.

I'm really looking foward getting a A3000 when it comes out (I live in Tokyo, and I bought the HD5 when it came out here. It was my first HDD type, as I kept sticking to MD and Hi-MD before-I'm still using them though, no other product can record analog and mic sounds as easily with a great sound quality).

I'm now sure about the great quality of this A Series, but still my big question is: how about Connect Player???

So I'd really really like to know more about Connect player, bundled with these A series.

Will it be compatible with all the previous SONY devices (Hi-MD, HD series, Bean etc.??). I don't see any good reason it won't be, right? It seems to be automaticaly upgradable too! well, if it isn't compatible, how is it going to be? We're gonna have 2 different programs? the cool (to be confirmed...) Connect player AND the old clunky sonicstage 3.2? kind of trouble right? will they share the same song library? or is connect player a real upgrade of SS, deleting SS to replace it when installed?

I plan giving my HD5 to a friend, but will it be a poisoned present,if only working with SS 3.2? I wouldn't dare offering a sony product to somebody, when knowing he/she's going to use SS...

I'm sorry for being so long, but I'd really want an excellent program working with all my SONY devices (psp included). Would you ahev some infos about this?

Thanx again for all the previous infos you gave us!

PS: is there a clock in the A3000/1000?

There is no clock or date function in either model.

Three brief questions from a complete newbie:

1) Do any of the titles scroll in the now playing and search screens?

2) Is there a screen to show the current playlist?

3) Am I correct in thinking that there is a dedicated volume button (I know that this was indicated earlier; I just wanted to make absolutely sure)?

Sorry to be negative, but I cannot imagine Sony thinking that these "gumdrops" will beat the iPod.

1. Hard to read in directly light...just like the RH10.

2. Edit

3. Will scratch, scratch, scratch.

4. Fingerprint magnet.

5. Back to a non-replaceable battery.

6. WAY to "glitzy" I was hoping that Sony wouldn't go for the pretty, fashionable look like Apple did. :(

Oh, Sony, whatever happened to the LOVELY Pocket Vaio???

I am VERY interested in the new software!

Thanks for the pics.

Edited by lamewing

There is a photo in the pictorial with a nwhd5 and a qualia style (?) remote plugged to it. Does the unit comes with that remote model or it just comes with the qualia Minidisc model?

The remote in question is an optional accessory for the NW-A3000/1000 series and its designation model number is RM-NWS1. Please review this thread for further information: click here and here ~ scroll down to the end of the thread.

My big question. Is the device or hardware compatible with a Mac? I understand on L/Unix I'm on my own.

I use a PC at work (Linx/WinXP/x86OSX), home (OSX/Unix) and I have a older Sony Laptop (WinXP/Vistabeta) so I like to use my iPod and Rio with whatever system I'm working on.

Do you think Sony will offer some kinda scratch protection similar to what iskin.com offers?

Does it allow folders and playlist? It's functionality sounds like iTunes, but on the device. Many iPod owners wish smart playlists worked on the device not just in iTunes.

Think they need cross platform beta testers?

As nice as they may be, I don't see it replacing my Vaio Pocket. It would be nice to get a size comparison, though in a picture between the A3000 and the VP.

The only thing I really don't like about the VP is its inability to completely power off.

Also, did you happen to try the new software with the HD5 or a Vaio Pocket? Does it work, or are we older owners stuck with SS 3.2?

Edited by FenderP

thanks for the pic of the backlit buttons.

for some reason im not that impressed by these OLED displays - they honestly, from the pictures, dont look much different from the displays on my stereo system and alarm clocks. are they very different? maybe the pictures just dont do justice. what i think wuda been really impressive, is if there were some sort of dual layer display, where the OLED monochrome (or bichrome) projects text and info on the outter layer of the case, while a standard LED, or even full color OLED display sits in the background allowing you to see full color pictures and animations. sound plausible? or overly complicated?

if the 5th gen iPod in smaller than the present one (which all sources point to, will be annouced wednesday, and probably will be available immediatly afterwards) then i dont see much reason to wait for the A3000 - tho i might wait out another year or so til higher density flash based players are released (atleast 15-20gb - thats all i need for now)

otherwise, these players look great, just late - very late. the least that cuda been done was to package the 20gb in the A1000 casing, but o well.

also, do these players really not come with any sort of case? even iPods have dinky lil cases with them (atleast they did the last i check) - the HD5 sock was atleast decent to tide u over until u found a good case...i dun get it anymore.

the other day i finally got the chance to play with the Sony PSP and was so amazed at how great the product was - so functional, and powerful, sharpest screen res ive seen in so long, and lots of potential down the line - did they not want conflicting products perhaps? its just hard to believe that the playstation line can be so fantastic, yet the walkman is so poorly managed...they shud be setting the bar with their resources and not lowering to their level.

am i right? lol, if not, dun bother hitting me with a smack of pro-sony ideology, cuz i probably agree with it all.

sorry for the long post! hope i dun hurt anyones feelings! im just frustrated :(

ADDITION: if the displays are really much more impressive in person, please set me straight :)

Edited by szsiddiq1214

also, do these players really not come with any sort of case? even iPods have dinky lil cases with them (atleast they did the last i check) - the HD5 sock was atleast decent to tide u over until u found a good case...i dun get it anymore.

Please use the search utility in the future. Carrying Case for the NW-A3000/1000 - comes in Genuine Leather and Soft Carrying case.

o yea, sry, i didnt make that clear - i meant that the players do not come with any sort of case.  they must be purchased separately, right?  the HD5 came with something, which, in my opinion, was better than nothing, and actually not a bad case

Yes, unfortunately those carrying cases are optional accessories. But I am sure the NW-A3000/1000 will come bundled with some sort of carrying pouch.

i was hoping so, but according to sony UK, thats not the case (no pun intended):

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.act...Network+Walkman

down in the section about Supplied accessories, thers a big NO next to carrying pouch. maybe they'res something little included and they wanted to make it clear that the nicer leather cases were not included...who knows. lol, not me! atraclife is the one with the products, so maybe they can confirm that, unless the final release products will be different.

there is no case.

But i have used both for some time now(2 weeks)and have not a scratch on either.

I am careful with my stuff(no keys,coins in same pocket)-so this is not such an issue for me.

I have good eyes,and have not seen any 'micro scratches' at this point either.

I clean them with a microfibre cloth,and if it does need to be in my bag(where it could bang around)I put it into a soft cloth bag that has been provided with other stuff.

I have played with the optional cases too.The leather is nice but should be scotchguarded-'cos it gets really dirty(white leather?why?)The black slip case is almost the same as the PSP case.

It gets fingerprints on it-but not to the extent of the PSP. :ol_rolleyes:

for some reason im not that impressed by these OLED displays - they honestly, from the pictures, dont look much different from the displays on my stereo system and alarm clocks.  are they very different?  maybe the pictures just dont do justice.

Oh, OLEDs are impressive. The MZRH10 and the Stick Walkmans are fantastic. Especially in the bus at night. :D

I have no doubt these new things look fantastic in real life. I can already imagine them placed on the rack in the store, in-between all the other DAPs that all look alike. They'll just grab everyone's attention. (And then people will read the specs... or lack of)

I barely managed to read through everything in the pages. So I ended up with some quesitons, hope someone would answer me.

1. Is the battery replaceable? (If this is true then according to the Uk site another battery is included in the bundle!?)

2. The UK Sony site says that audio compression is only up to 256kps?

3. The site also mentions 'docking station' which is available seperately, but I thought it should be included..

but nevertheless, it could vary from country to country.

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.act...Network+Walkman

The new updated packaging photos are great!! I have to say that it's terribly "chic"! classy, really. Is that the new software case I see? meaning we're gonna have some news about Connect player soon, hee hee....?