Exclusive ATRACLife NW-A3000 + NW-A1000 Review

Rate this topic

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So can anybody explain to me what Sony is on? I mean, are they actually trying to take down the iPod, or are they just playing around? I love this new player, and I'm not a fan of the iPod, but really, I'm starting to think about which one I should get. These players would have been iPod killers, maybe a year ago. But since Sony announced these two players, Apple has come out with the nano and is about to come out with the new iPod Video. All before Sony is due to release their new MP3 players. Instead of making their DAP smaller, Sony makes them bigger. Rather than creating a color screen, like many companies are doing, Sony keeps a black and white screen. (Really, I think the Vaio is Sony's best try, all they needed to do was improve on it, rather than the HD series) Instead of adding a FM Tuner to their Walkman, which is one thing that I'd like, they keep it only for their flash players. Is Sony really so oblivious to the world around them? Instead of thinking what Apple will do, Sony continues to slightly improve their player, while Apple continues to jump over them over, and over, and over again. It's really sad. I thought Sony was turning around, but it seems that they are still the arrogant company that they've always been. By the time that Sony finally jumps to color screen, Apple would probably have iPods that take pictures, games, access the internet, and everything else. I really think that someone should mail Sony an iPod, and tell them this is what you have to beat, you need these features at the minimum.

(Yeah, it's a rant, I had to get it out.)

Maybe Sony might tweak the player before it's out, which is probably impossible, but who knows.

Edited by EZero

With all these manguages, can we hope AT LAST a unicode Connect player program (I mean for other countries than Japan)?

I also checked a Q&A page in japanese, and as my Japanese is not so great, I didn't quite understood:

Q&A sony drive Connect playerhttp://www.faq.sonydrive.jp/fQA.php?qid=33130

it seems that the 2 programs (SS and CP) will co exist on the computer?

If somebody could understand the meaning of this?

With all these manguages, can we hope AT LAST a unicode Connect player program (I mean for other countries than Japan)? 

I also checked a Q&A page in japanese, and as my Japanese is not so great, I didn't quite understood:

Q&A sony drive Connect playerhttp://www.faq.sonydrive.jp/fQA.php?qid=33130

it seems that the 2 programs (SS and CP) will co exist on the computer?

If somebody could understand the meaning of this?

Yes, that's correct. In fact, I believe we did cover this subject in one of the news thread. SonicStage 3.2 will co-exist with the CONNECT Player for the time being.

Thanks for the reply Ishiyoshi.

I am most likely going to get the A3000 when it comes on sale, either here at a sony store or online. Buying a HD3 would be pointless now since the new model is only less than a month away.

As for the connect player, my guess is that people who buy the new units, will have a CD shipped with the new connect player as well. So likely early to mid novemeber for the connect player. Unless sony expects people to use SS3.2 until dec. Which I hope the don't.

I'll repeat some still unanswered questions:

- Is there a lag when accessing the track list and menu, or when jumping to the following track, as in previous Walkmans?

- Is there anything that seems to justify the bigger size? (Higher output, for instance.)

And a new question:

- Does the Artist Link just show artists in the same genre or does it do something else (what)?

Thanks

- Does the Artist Link just show artists in the same genre or does it do something else (what)?

The best way I can describe "Artist Link" is that this new feature enables music navigation within a layout classified with artist initials in up/down/right/left direction as opposed to the conventional method: which limits search to a long list of up and down direction.

And to expand on the NW-A3000/1000's search method: users can search by Artist, Album, Song, Playlist, Genre, Play history*, Release date, Recent transfers, Favorite 100 and Ratings. *Note: Play history information is updated upon connection with CONNECT Player.

apple releases a new iPod that in most respects dwarfs the already puny competition in the publics eyes, and look how slow this forum becomes... lol

i sold out, and i ordered my 30gb black ipod 5g. im just not taken by the Aseries. the sound quality is, im more than positive, given my experiences with the HD5, vastly superior to the iPods (sony developed good SQ when they were in their prime). but all in all, im not that big of an audiophile, and the iPods sound isnt bad at all. the only thing ill really miss from the HD5 is the dedicated vol. o welll

It's not easy to run two forums, work a full-time job and attend college full-time as well, so I apologize for taking so long to reply but hopefully you understand.

Are the players you reviewed the Japanese ones? I ask because Japanese models usually come with the remote included nowadays whereas European models do not. And I have noticed amazon.co.uk selling the remote separately on its website

Thanks

Yes, these are the Japanese models. No word on what the regional differences will be, but I'm sure that they will be annoying just as they've been in the past.

1,Does the connect fit for NH1!?I want  to know whether the 320kps bitrates can use to hi-md

2,Does the A3000 support the pcm bitrates such as hi-md?

Sorry for my ugly english.

Your English is good, keep practicing friend. You cannot use 320kbps on the MZ-NH1, nor any of the new bitrates. It doesn't support PCM.

Does anybody think the wma upgrade scheduled for december will allow for wma lossless?

No. It does support WMA CBR @ 32, 48, 64, 80, 96, 128, 160, 192, 256, 320kbps; WMA VBR @ 40-75, 50-95, 85-145, 135-215, 240-355kbps.

So where are you guys ordering this and for how much?

I don't know of anywhere that is doing pre-orders at this time.

1. People were saying that the hd5 could only be used on ONE computer, preventing the transition between work computers and home computers. Is this the case with the a3000 series? Or did Sony learn from its mistake?

2. Reports were made that between SS and the player, track orders got jumbled without any advice as how to change them. Now should I want to be a play a live concert recording on the A-series, do they play in order???

3. How are the tracks categorised? Apparently the tracks were ordered by artist or something, so what hope is there for a compilation cd to work properly?

4. I don't know if this has been asked or not, but is there a SLEEP TIMER function on it?

5. What is the 'visible battery status' like? Does it show more than 3 bars or something? So that we know the difference between 8hrs and 1hr left?

1. This is not the case with the A3000.

2. In order.

3. I've answered this here.

4. No.

5. 3 bars.

- Is there a lag when accessing the track list and menu, or when jumping to the following track, as in previous Walkmans?

- Is there anything that seems to justify the bigger size? (Higher output, for instance.)

No and no.

What about transfer of mp3's coded at 192? Is the CONNECT player drag and drop?

Drag n' drop.

i think i asked way back, but dont remember getting an answer, so if anyone knows: in the menu structure, once ur under an artists and it lists albums, is there an option to view all songs? or do u have to go thru each album? this was my only problem with the HD5, as i dont always remember the album a certain song is on

I cant believe Sony is bringing out a successor to the Hd5. i know technically its not the successor but is a replacement.

Question for Kurisu and anyone who has Nw-A3000 and HD5:

Which is better HD5 or A3000?

Which do YOU reccomend to buy?

aslo

What is that reset hole at the bottom? and Why wasnt it on HD5? (if u know)

I am soon to purchase my first PDP, having read through this post there was aspects that I am not sure I understood.

For me the most important components of the player are the battery life and that I can download material from multiple places. the HD5 clearly stands out for battery life, the accompanying sonic stage software has been described as very poor, also this software does not allow downloads from other sites. My collecection of MP3s would be void as even If I could convert them to ATTRAC Sonic stage would not be interested.

the new nwa-3000 comprimises on battery life, but has new software CONNECT. I was unable to decipher from your posts if CONNECT will be of help to me, or if it is a rebadged Sonic stage with a few bells and whistle that will only be of interest to the techies.

I look forward to anyones response, but please bear in mind this is all very new to me

with best wishes

Dave

the CONNECT player will allow transfer of mp3s, atrac, and in december wmas, I am not sure why you say your collection of mp3s would be void, since if I recall, both the HD3 and HD5 support mp3 playback in normal mp3 format with no need to convert to atrac. CONNECT player isn't a rebadged sonicstage, from the looks and impressions of other people, it will be more or less like itunes, with drag and drop capability.

converting to atrac will in the long run make your battery last longer between charges since the atrac codec is less demanding on power.

Sonicstage has its faults, but the latest version is a huge improvement over what was available. Oddly, no verison of sonicstage ever crashed for me on my pc.

It remains to be seen if the new a3000 series battery will be less than what is in the HD5. Unless the HD5 battery has more mA compared to the new a3000, than perhaps yes. but then I am not sure. Here are the specs for the HD5's battery:

Capacity: 880mAh

Voltage: 3.7V

I am guessing and hoping that sony include the same battery as the HD5, if maybe even an improved one, doubtful. Once the new player comes out, i am sure people will post their opinions on the battery life. rest assured, battery life will be better than average when compared to most players out there.

Hello,

I am new to all this and am looking to buy my first mp3 player.

I really like the Sony NW-HD5 but having read lots of info on the internet I feel put-off by the 'Sonic-Stage' software.

I'd like to know if anyone thinks it's a possibility that if I buy a HD5, that I could at some point in the future, be able to use this (better?) Connect software with it? Do Sony have history of upgrading software and making it back-compatible?

No, at this point it doesn't look like it will be very friendly in terms of backwards compatibility. Betas of Connect are not supporting any old device, including the PSP. It is very likely that they are attempting a clean slate with the new Walkman facade -- Sonicstage 3.3 was the stop-gap for many locales in the meantime.

hello

has the nw-a1000 a protection like DRM or anything else?

do you think it is a good idea to buy the player right on the release day or should i wait some weeks? would it be very fast much cheaper do you think?  :ol_rolleyes:

thanks a lot

greez  :ol_love:

I my opinion u can wait for a review atleast before buying that player.So u will pros & cons of that player.But the review given by Kurisu is very informative so u can also buy the player right on the release.It depends now how there sales goes...

Called into a Dixons in Cardiff this afternoon and they had on display 2 A1000.The attendant suggested that they had had them for nearly a week and were expecting the A3000 within the next few days.

Got a chance to have a quick play and have to say that I can't believe how small they are. The A3000 should not be too bug either; very tempted to buy one now.

Connect player must be shipping with these units - anyone had a chance to use it or have available to download from somewhere?

sony has updated its site, including a BUNCH of info on the walkman series and everyting else!! looks like they are trying REALLY hard to sway people to buy this, and they need to!

and i think it has worked on me!

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArticle.act...&site=odw_en_GB

That is really nice.They r trying everything to sell there products.

Gooood Marketing!

Edited by Stuge

Hey again! :ol_lol:

Saw the NWA1000 in a shop yesterday and it looked great :ol_love: .  I really need to know if you can put any music from any legal site onto the Connect Player and the NWA1000 itself????  Please reply this time! :ol_exclaim:

:ol_love: xxx :ol_love:

hello

has the nw-a1000 a protection like DRM or anything else?

do you think it is a good idea to buy the player right on the release day or should i wait some weeks? would it be very fast much cheaper do you think? 

thanks a lot

greez 

I don't think it will come down much more as places like www.amazon.co.uk and www.play.com have already reduced them from £170 to £150 so they probably won't go down again especially not before Christmas and probably not after.  Hope this helps!

xxx

http://www.atraclife.com/index.php?showtopic=407

Pl read this review again & try to get ssver.3.3 as connect software supplied with player is worst then Sonic stage ver3.3 if ur thinking to buy the player right now(As Reviewed by the member of the forum).

A little funny, the Zen Sleek Photo has an OLED screen, and is capable of color, photos. So it seems that a color OLED screen is possible.

Hoping that Sony will use that technology in there next network walkman

A little funny, the Zen Sleek Photo has an OLED screen, and is capable of color, photos. So it seems that a color OLED screen is possible.

It has been always colour possible, Sony was even planning on releasing laptops wtih colour OLEDs, but put back the idea for one year or so until they can develop the tech more.

I do agree colour would be a perk with the new walkmans, but in some of the pictures the one same colour OLED which looks seamless with the body is a nice touch.

One question remains: Do all of these super-duper-mega-bling-color-photo-video-whatever-players have the same sound quality?

That's one of the main reasons, why I'm sticking with MD.

And the main focus of the A3000 could be more on sound quality than on the bling factor.

Plus, the lifetime of OLEDs is still limited, especially on color screens.

As I recall correctly, it is less than 10 000 hours continuous on, based on 50% of the original brightness.

That may be also the reason, why the A3000 has no continuous on setting for the display.

As I recall correctly, it is less than 10 000 hours continuous on, based on 50% of the original brightness.
From where did u get that information? Just tell ...

If ur information is correct still then u may not be using ur player for such a long period.New player will come into market by that time & To ur information a year consists of About 8760 HOUR ,SO r u going to listen to the player all the time.I don`t think so

That may be also the reason, why the A3000 has no continuous on setting for the display.

But all NW-400,500,600 have continnous OLED display,So why not A3000

I don't understand why the display is such an issue. Color is useless on a DAP and eats up battery life -- I always thought the black&white ipod displays looked cooler than their color ones. I don't look at album art while I listen to music on my stereo or computer at home and I wouldn't while on the go with a DAP. If you could actually see front & back of album art and all pages of inserts/lyrics/etc. that might be cool, but it's superfluous as far as I'm concerned when players have basic issues to fix.

The NW-A series has a really neat style and tons of benefits over the ipod, but 20GB is pathetic. Also, there's something to be said for all the ipod hacks & user-developed software that I haven't seen for Sony players. I know I don't have to use itunes if I get an ipod, but I don't think there's an alternative to Connect/SonicStage proprietary bullshit. Portable HDD functionality (like the iAudio) would be amazing but I know that's out of the question with big-name DAPs.

I'm just really bummed that companies are missing their opportunities to make an ipod killer when we are in dire need of one.

Edited by blastocyst