aeriyn

The Almighty "best Headphones Under $100" Thread

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

The best headphones under $100 by a longshot in my experience are the Crossroads MylarOne X3's from Jaben Network

http://www.jaben.net/

Read about them on HeadFi and I'm going on my third pair (I break them, they send me new ones every time free of charge... It's my fault most of the time.)

They aren't the sturdiest earbuds but they sound AMAZING.

Best neckband type under $10 has got to be one of the MDR-G street style from Sony.

Mine is the original model-the G61 from 1997 and it is a nice sounding headphone.

2008 models in Sony's street style line are the MDR-G45/G55/G75LW.

I would like to add , The AKG K420's , that AKG just released , I went to Akihabara , and there s a Pro Audio shop in the very Back end and a Hidden part of Akiba , That deals JUST , I will say that again , JUST , as in ONLY ..... Headphones , Man , good grief there was some serious ear candy in there .

I tried a few of the medium grade phones ( 300 - 700 dollars ) ( that was their MEDIUM grade ) and browsed some more , then came across these K420 @ 98 dollars

16 ohms , Ideal for Md Battery life , Extremely comfortable , cool color ( Denim ) and a short cable ?!?!?! someone was thinking here , the cable is the right length for Remotes . Most headgear has quite a Long cable for home usage , these are MADE for portables .

They sounded VEry good as well , Of course I would expect that from AKG .

http://www.akg.com/personal/K_420,pcatid,6...ow,gallery.html

image_Imag48982c3cde2bf.jpg

Ive been using Senn CX95 for a while now and so far am quite happy with it. Not a bad set of canalphones, although I believe they cost slightly more that 100$. I enjoy a deep bass and after burn in the Senns offer plenty of that, particularly when coupled with a nice phone amp.

Update on the AKG K420's

I listened to the K420's with a Hi Md player this morning coming thru the 40elk remote , Derek Trucks , First Album . This MD has had so much airtime in my machines I know every single event , note , crack, bam rattle , intro outro , whatever . This disc doesnt have to be in my player for me to listen to it , it is in my head .

I know what it sounds like thru each different MD as well ....... Thru the Yamaha RH5Ma phones , it is pretty fat and lots of sizzle , it sounds great , but I wasnt really expecting what I got thru the K420's ...... It sounded more lifelike , and the cymbals were much smoother and silkier I stood in Yodobashi just listening for an hour ( the whole disc LOL ) and then switched discs , Les Nubians First CD (Optical copy in SP ) Princess Nubians ...... in both instances , the sound stage was more 3 dimensional , and richer . for a 98 dollar set of phones , these are a MUST have . Also the Cable is just the right size , between portable use , and sitting in front of the desk .

1 Meter cable , Very comfortable ( I am hard to please there) , just plain good sounding phones , I have to get these , buy some more md's from me so I can get some money to get them .......!!!!!!!

Edited by Guitarfxr

Update on the AKG K420's

I'm intrigued. Would you call these neutral-sounding headphones? I wish there was a place I could listen to these...

I'm intrigued. Would you call these neutral-sounding headphones? I wish there was a place I could listen to these...

They are finally Home .........YAY some little good things have happened .

Neutral.............. I am having to reevaluate that term , In a quieter setting where I dont have the Background noise of the store , I hear a LOT more detail , than I was getting from the Yamaha's I normally use . These are much more efficient requiring less power , only 16 ohms .

Older discs , I can hear very sublte parts than I did not hear before , much more of what was going on behind the mixing board as the songs were recorded.

a very good Balance , from high to Low , ohhhh but the Lows ...... you FEEL them , for small phones these really reach down there , but not in an artificially enhanced way , Pianos , sound like your sitting at the bench next to the player . Separation is nice the sound field gives definate placement of everything

I had forgotten that I had a lot of points on my Yodobashi card ( they use a Point system here ) and the points cut my cost WAY down , so a Little extra money , and I was able to get them .

as good as they sound now , I cant wait till they burn in .

The best heagphones Ive ever had are the Sony MDR-V6, they just sound incredible, and I bought them for 70 dollars.

It really enhances the sound and makes everything sound god-ish.

Hey, I'm trying to decide between the Sony MDR-V6 and the MDR-7506. I know that you guys said that they are pretty much the same thing, but I read comments on that they sounded somewhat different? Which one should I get? The 7506 is $100 while the v6 is $75. Thanks.

I am not experienced about sony but I have used skullcandy and shure. These both are good stuff.

Hey, I'm trying to decide between the Sony MDR-V6 and the MDR-7506. I know that you guys said that they are pretty much the same thing, but I read comments on that they sounded somewhat different? Which one should I get? The 7506 is $100 while the v6 is $75. Thanks.

Ive never had the 7506s on my ears so I can't tell. but if you pick the V6 I promise you wont be dissapointed, they are great headphones at a good price I believe...100+ on headphones seems like too much for me.

Edited by Juan22

Best headphones i have ever used were under 40 bucks. These Incipio F38's are pretty great for their price range.....im still pretty unsure who the heck incipio is but....they work pretty good!