Why I Will Not Be Buying Into 2nd Generation

Rate this topic

Embio

hey, I own an NH900, and I love it. I was one of the 1st to see the pictures on this forum of the RH10 and thought it looked amazing (as I still do). However, I am incredibly dissapointed for a few reasons.....

1, Its BIGGER! Sony have demonstrated how they can make extremely small units, like the NH1, and the HD3, which has an OLED. So why not the RH10?? Size and thickness is very important to me.

2, The REMOTE!! Its the same for godsake. no progress at all, the remote from the NH1 or the DNE20 would have been great.

3, No HD amp - need I say more? My NH900 will sound better....

I'm gunna buy the new Sony DAB portable instead

I sort of agree that there has been a change in strategy from Sony. Top of the line unit is big and non-recording (line-in) for the first time. No HD amp in the RH10 is puzzling to say the least as well.

But there is one solution, give us updated firmware for 1st gen units and it is sorted (I will take lower bat. life on the NH1 for lower ebay price).

I was tired when I put that....

ok ok ok so the HD3 doesnt have an OLED, and niether does the NH1 (which isnt what i put, because then i would have said 'have'.... not to worry....)

I'm extremely mad with Sony over this - why cost-reduce the top of the line model?

I'm extremely mad with Sony over this - why cost-reduce the top of the line model?

Ever heard of economies of scale?

I do agree that the thickness of RH10/RH910 gives it a bulky look; but it's only a mere 4mm. Until we see and feel the unit in person, we can never discern the appearance of the unit by referring to those web photographs.

As for the remote, I do somewhat agree that Sony should have bundled newer remotes such as the RM-MC55ELK with RH10. However, the fact that RH10 employs an OLED screen explains why it did not. Just to rationale, the VAIO Pocket spot a vibrant display and it comes with a simple remote, which many would argue it’s not good enough. As a VAIO Pocket user, I thought the remote could be better but soon find myself using the display screen more than the Pocket’s remote or other variation that I own. [just to name a few: RM-MC40ELK/MC35ELK] As for the NH1, the justification of using the RM-MC40ELK is obvious – the NH1 does not have a large display screen. Therefore, it is fair to construe that the need for remotes such as RM-MC40ELK is of a secondary concern [and also explains why the price of RH10 as a whole is lower].

Well, it seems that NH900 have satisfied your needs thus far. Perhaps you could wait for the 3rd generation or other possible offerings from Sharp.

I do business economics A Level (i think thats a major or something?? I dont properly understand the American system) and I dont think economies of scale is quite what your looking for.....

Your right actually, the NH900 is a really great unit, if I see an NH1 for less than £150 I'll snap that up. Just that the possibilities with 2nd generation Hi-MD hav'nt been realised. I get the feeling they keep stuff out, or make the units a bit c*****r so we will buy 3rd gen....

I'm optimistic about the new generation. Sony has recently sacrificed good large-sized audio grade components for teeny little not-so-audiophile components in making their units very small. Sure, Sony's MD players were the smallest, but Sharp's sounded better. Sharp's units were never smaller than Sony's or even the same size.

I think the fact that they are bigger means that maybe Sony decided to use better parts, not worse ones. Better in the audio world usually means physically larger capacitors, premium resistors, etc.

I'm optimistic about the new generation. Sony has recently sacrificed good large-sized audio grade components for teeny little not-so-audiophile components in making their units very small. Sure, Sony's MD players were the smallest, but Sharp's sounded better. Sharp's units were never smaller than Sony's or even the same size.

I think the fact that they are bigger means that maybe Sony decided to use better parts, not worse ones. Better in the audio world usually means physically larger capacitors, premium resistors, etc.

I'm hoping for a sturdier optical block. The death of all my MD units was that damn lens screwing up. I doubt that there are many audiophile parts being used, it's not their primary concern. I do hope they're building things better than a circuit board screwed into a metal bit. I read that you can now search by artist, album, etc. That's on the Sony Europe PDF. I'd consider buying one now, provided it's in the NZ$350 range. I mean, I have 50 discs already. The next addition should be smart playlists. Why buy a 1GB flash player when you can get 10 of them for around the same price?

What I want is a database. Say, you download your music collection onto ~10 1GB discs. First one has a database of all 1283 tracks. You wanna listen to YUKI. It says "Please insert <previously titled disc number>". Of course you can just have a playlist disc. But that would sorta solve the problem of not knowing what's on the disc, if you can have a disc telling you where it is. Hairbrained scheme no doubt.

Personally I'm content with regular MD. I just bought a great bookshelf unit which combines the features of a deck with NetMD. There are things I can do with that unit that aren't yet possible with Hi-MD.

For example, the scale-factor edit means I can add fade-ins and fade-outs to tracks I've recorded live or from the radio. I can boost the volume levels of tracks, and perform other fancy editing features either from the unit itself or with just a simple point and click operation from the PC. And still I get quite decent portable audio quality in either realtime Type-R Sp or LP2 via high-speed NetMD.

Sure PCM recording, MP3 playback and increased disc capacity would be usefull feature I see myself using - but I don't think it's enough on it's own to entice me to 2nd gen. I don't have a real need for uncompressed recording, nor do I have too many MP3s.

In the future I could see myself getting a nice high-fi sharp AUVI MDP, or perhaps just a bling-bling unit - the E10! ohmy.gif

I will probably not be buying Sony's 2nd generation HI-MD units for the following reasons:

(1) A month ago I bought my first Hi-mD unit the MZ-NH1, and I am very happy with it.

(2)I do not have but, a hand full of MP3's and therefore have no need for the 2nd generation.

(3) I like the way the MZ-NH1 looks the best.

(4) But I like my 2003 Sharp IM-DR80-B's docking bay the best, and if Sharp comes out with a HI-MD that is like to my old SHARP NET recorder unit, then I will buy it.

(5) I am hopping that when the sony's new units go on sale that the price of the MZ-NH1 will drop and then I might buy another one of those.

Till next time,

Mikami

I won't be buying a second generation Hi-MD because I simply don't need it. That NH900 was expensive enough cool.gif . I'll get a new one if it breaks and it's too expensive to get it fixed. Whatever generation that may be...

I only use MD for the sound quality and don't need MP3 compatibility. It was a good decision to support MP3 but it's not important to me.

Now, when will SonicStage work on my Apple iBook? That's the most decisive factor for my next purchase. ph34r.gif