Mz-n707 Recording Problems

Rate this topic

Scratch

Hi. I recently started having problems when recording with my MZ-N707. The recording seems fine but when I listen to the songs some "interruptions" appear, is like the music is cut for a fraction of a second, many times in each song. It happened on SP both using the line and digital reording. I usually re-record the songs and then some of them result ok.

It happened in my last three recordings (different discs), the problem seems worse at the beginning of the recording. I also had a REC ERROR message in the last two recordings.

Any idea of what`s wrong and how can it be solved?

Thanks.

Hey i had N707 and something like that happened to me at some point but it was just the sign of something worst to come. what used to happen in my case was when the recording head reached near the end of the disc or to the point where the riborn (date cable)connecting the board to the recording head was stretched it was already cracked so once the data flow was interrupted information was skipped and at the end of the recording sessions i'd hear first the pauses and then later down on the disc mechanical noise from the unit cuz it couldn't read nething or what could be your problem is that some dust is captured somewhere under the lens inself but if that's the case it should affect play back as well i suggest u have the lens cleaned with some blowing device he he or a cutip.. and ur last resort to open the unit..

jeebus, crazeybt1 please punctuate your sentences.

check out the 'blank disc solution' sticky at the top.

i've added some info on interrupted playback.

I'll check that. Thanks

Crazybit: you might be right, I think the problem is getting worse sad.gif , in my case the interruptions are in the begining of the disc. I also heard some noise from the minidisc recorder motor picked in some recordings.

thanks

• 5 months later...

Anybody come up with a good reason/fix for this? It's started happening on my 707. I know the recording/disk is good because last week it was fine; this week it keeps skipping over big sections of songs or jumping to the next song.

This particularly worries me since I have TWO 707s and I hope it's not a sign of planned obsolescence. Ah well, might be time for Hi-MD!

Thanks for any assistance; will try blowing clean before my next listen, but would like to hear any feedback that might help.

Donna

Thanks for any assistance; will try blowing clean before my next listen, but would like to hear any feedback that might help.

Donna

Well, I cleaned the optic group with a cotton swab and alcohol and the problem disappeared, but I suspect there is a broken wire in the ribbon that randomly becomes off contact when the ribbon moves. I'll eventually go HI-MD but I would like to have my 707 in operational shape.

good luck.

• 3 months later...

I had that problem once with a new MZ-R70. But it only dropped out once in a while. I took it in for service and the guy told me the laser block was weak. A replacement block was nearly the price of the MD recorder itself. Lucky it was under warranty.

The only other thing I could point out was already mentioned: disc fragmentation.

Sorry to hear about your recording woes Scratch... :( Although I am not a techie-person and have not had that problem with my 707, have you by chance tried one of those specialized cleaner discs? I personally don't have one but it might be worth a try...

Best,

blu

Sorry to hear about your recording woes Scratch... :( Although I am not a techie-person and have not had that problem with my 707, have you by chance tried one of those specialized cleaner discs? I personally don't have one but it might be worth a try...

Best,

blu

well, I tried to clean the optic group with a cotton swab and alcohol but the problem is still there, it happens randomly and sometimes I'm able to record an entire minidisc with problems in just one song (which a re-record) or no problems at all, but sometimes it gets worse (very frustating). Since minidisc is not an official Sony product here, where I live, there's no tech support, however I found a technician who might be able to help.

Thanks for your suggestion.