NW-A608 availability

Rate this question

leonremi

Question

first info from customer representative in France : NW-A608 should be available the 10th of november :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonjour,

Par votre mail, vous souhaitez connaitre la date de disponibilité du NWA608 .

J'ai le plaisir de vous informer que le NWA608 sera disponible a partir du 10

novemnbre dans le stock de Sony France.

Si des informations complémentaires vous étaient nécessaires, l'équipe de Sony

France est à votre disposition au 0 892 35 07 35(0.34 Euros/min), du Lundi au

Vendredi de 9h00 à 18h00.

A très Bientôt,

Votre Conseiller, Naïma GARGARI

not quite.....

NW-a608 versus NW-e507 :

* 2 GG versus 1 GB

* USB 2.0 vs USB 1

* color coordinated headphones

* software tweaks (improved artist search, yearly shuffling etc.)

* connect vs sonicstage (although I suppose the E507 should work with the new software as well)

* oh and different colors for the player

not quite.....

NW-a608 versus NW-e507 :

* 2 GG versus 1 GB

* USB 2.0 vs USB 1

* connect vs sonicstage (although  I suppose the E507 should work with the new software as well)

Interesting. I've still got the old Connect software that came with my NET MD years ago. Funny how they've gone back to Connect.

apparently the NW-A608 will be available in France the 18 th of November. At least it is listed by Pixmania with this date of availability. Funny thing, orignally this was supposed to be the release date in Japan only......

anyway the listed color is "violet" although the photo looks more like emerald....

not quite.....

NW-a608 versus NW-e507 :

* 2 GG versus 1 GB

* USB 2.0 vs USB 1

* connect vs sonicstage (although  I suppose the E507 should work with the new software as well)

Instead of comparing Nw-a608 & nw-e507,u should compare NW-A607(1GB) & NW-E507.

Now come to the point ,firstly i don`t think giving color coordinated headphones change anything B`coz they r going to be crap like before{also they hurts}(compare headphones of NW-E MODELS & NW-A MODELS except for color nothing is differet) .The old headphones took out a bit of skin from both of my ears,therefore it is recommded to buy a new headphone again.

secondly: Also new shuffle features is not going to justify everything to buy a new one.

Thirdly:Even new colors like Emerade,gold etc which u can see on sonystyle japan r only few selected models which r going to be sold in few selected countries.I don`t think they r going to sell these limited edition models in India.(As sony india is still selling nw-e505 instead of nw-e507).Thats why i was forced by to buy Nw-E505

But still it is for those u still haven`t bought any NW-E models.

Edited by Stuge

Instead of comparing Nw-a608 & nw-e507,u should compare NW-A607(1GB) & NW-E507.

Now come to the  point ,firstly i don`t think giving color coordinated headphones change anything B`coz they r going to be crap like before{also they hurts}(compare headphones of NW-E MODELS & NW-A MODELS except for color nothing is differet) .The old headphones took out a bit of skin from both of my ears,therefore it is recommded to buy a new headphone again.

secondly: Also new shuffle features is not going to justify everything to buy a new  one.

Thirdly:Even new colors like Emerade,gold etc which u can see on sonystyle japan r only few selected models which r going to be sold in few selected countries.I don`t think they r going to sell these limited edition models in India.(As sony india is still selling nw-e505 instead of nw-e507).Thats why i was forced by to buy Nw-E505

But still it is for those u still haven`t bought any NW-E models.

well yes and now. Actually I was comparing old high end model : NW-e507 with new high end model NW-a608.

and there I believe there are 2 really significant updates :

1/ the twofold increase in memory (2 GB vs 1GB)

2/ connection is now USB 2 vs USB 1 ( and this is valid when comparing e507 and A607).

I agree with you the rest is unsignificant (except the new connect software but I assume it will work with the older E series as well).

And I agree as well that their earphones suck (sorry to hear about your ears :ol_rolleyes: ). I personnally plan to buy Shure E2 for this.

NW-E4xx/5xx are all USB 1.1, 2.0 compatible meaning it'll work in a USB 2.0 port. Actually, on Sony's Japan website, there is no claim about USB 2.0 at all. Someone in marketing somewhere outside of Japan decided it would be really nifty to add USB 2.0 compatible and confuse everyone. Of course anything USB 1.1 is 2.0 compatible, sheesh.

NW-E4xx/5xx are all USB 1.1, 2.0 compatible meaning it'll work in a USB 2.0 port. Actually, on Sony's Japan website, there is no claim about USB 2.0 at all. Someone in marketing somewhere outside of Japan decided it would be really nifty to add USB 2.0 compatible and confuse everyone. Of course anything USB 1.1 is 2.0 compatible, sheesh.

Yes u r right there noting metioned about usb 2.0 in sonystyle japan site.

As USB 2,0 devices r faster than USB 1.0 devices so they think more people will be attracted

Edited by Stuge

FWIW, The Sony USA esupport site has the A608 in the list of devices to select from now... nothing of interest there right now, but there's a placeholder for it... when will the US announcement come?!

Interesting enough, I just went to check out the sony.ca support site, and be hold:

Digital Music Players

-Connect 2 Player software download for NW-A3000

For more information on the Connect 2 player, please visit http://esupport.sony.com/EN/C2CA

Connect 2 Player software download for NW-A1000

-For more information on the Connect 2 player, please visit http://esupport.sony.com/EN/C2CA

Firmware Upgrade for NW-A608

-Firmware Upgrade resolves and modifies issues relating to operating system and Connect 2 Player.

So hopefully this week. :ol_biggrin:

Interesting enough, I just went to check out the sony.ca support site, and be hold:

Digital Music Players

-Connect 2 Player software download for NW-A3000 

For more information on the Connect 2 player, please visit http://esupport.sony.com/EN/C2CA 

Connect 2 Player software download for NW-A1000 

-For more information on the Connect 2 player, please visit http://esupport.sony.com/EN/C2CA

Firmware Upgrade for NW-A608 

-Firmware Upgrade resolves and modifies issues relating to operating system and Connect 2 Player.

So hopefully this week. :ol_biggrin:

Sony CONNECT Player Update Version 1.0.01.02110

I got only this much of information by clicking the above link.No information about Connect 2 player

I got only this much of information  by clicking the above link.No information about Connect 2 player

The connect 2 players come with the units just like in the UK, the updates will be released once the units go on sale. It would be pointless to have an update on the site with no products on the shelves.

A firmware upgrade for the A608 before it is released sounds like a serious quality control problem somewhere.

Then again the E407 & E505s I purchased in Australia a couple of recently still only had the original v1.0 firmware. Unfortunately Sony Aust likes to hide any firmware updates on its site. Also you would expect that they could advise you that there is newer V2 available when you register these products.

A firmware upgrade for the A608 before it is released sounds like a serious quality control problem somewhere.

How can say that?New firmware could help to add some more exciting like new clock & screen were add to 400 & 500(series) with frimware 2.

edit#2

But right now there is no firmware update for 600(series)

Edited by Stuge

What firmware update? There is no firmware update available anywhere for the 608 before it's released like you say there is, lthough there will be one in December of January to add things like WMA support.

Then again the E407 & E505s I purchased in Australia a couple of recently still only had the original v1.0 firmware.  Unfortunately Sony Aust likes to hide any firmware updates on its site. Also you would expect that they could advise you that there is newer V2 available when you register these products.

Let me expand what is on teh sony site:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl...=EN&news_id=101

Posted: 11/07/2005

There is no firmware update is currently posted for the NW-A608.

No update at all. none either for the A1000/A3000. Like finalcoolman mentioned, once WMA support comes out, it will be offered as a firmware update in december.

Ascariss, thanks for the clarification, it was a bit of selective reading on my part.

Haven't seen any mention of the NWA608 in Australia yet but atleast the A1000/A3000 are supposed to be released in December.

What is so damn special about WMA??? I don't understand why people are making such a big deal out of WMA.. it is not a widely used codec, and is not as good as atrac3... so who cares if it is supported or not? Just so it can be a gimmick spec?

This just a greediness .Sometimes we like to have things that we r not going to use,but we still want....................

This just a greediness  .Sometimes we like to have things that we r not going to use,but we still  want....................

I think WMA is smart. Sure most of us in this forum are picky about our audio quality and codecs, but the average person who doesn't know anything else will start ripping their music in WMA because all they know is windows media player (I know people like this-- it's true).

Besides, the more codec support the better, that's just more people that will be attracted to Sony's products and thus a better chance at Sony succeeding. I think it's great they're doing WMA.

Besides, the more codec support the better, that's just more people that will be attracted to Sony's products and thus a better chance at Sony succeeding.  I think it's great they're doing WMA.

Yes ur absolutely right .This just a Human nature,......

I held a 608 in my hand at a store in Akihabara, Japan on Thursday (Nov. 17th). The guy behind the counter said it was the first day they were selling it. The one I looked at was the dark blue color... really cool. The price, even without consumption tax, would be $215 (26800 yen with consumption tax). That's the same price as a nano, even with tax, in the U.S.

If I bought one in Japan, other than the FM tuner not working (or only in limited range), are there any other problems with using a Japanese unit in the U.S.? It appeared the menus were already in English.

I held a 608 in my hand at a store in Akihabara, Japan on Thursday (Nov. 17th).  The guy behind the counter said it was the first day they were selling it.  The one I looked at was the dark blue color... really cool.  The price, even without consumption tax, would be $215 (26800 yen with consumption tax).  That's the same price as a nano, even with tax, in the U.S.

If I bought one in Japan, other than the FM tuner not working (or only in limited range), are there any other problems with using a Japanese unit in the U.S.?  It appeared the menus were already in English.

The radio issue is the only one I know of. Want to pick a blue one up for me too? =D (it'd cost me nearly $300 to import one, gah...)

I imagine it would come with japanese connect software, but that shouldn't be a big deal as you'll be able to get Connect or Sonic Stage 3.3 in English.

I am a little confused as to why the radio frequencies should even be an issue. Cowon, who also sells some very nice mp3 players, allows for setting the radio frequencies based on your country. It is just built into the firmware.

WHY can't Sony just make a single unit with the options to adjust for each country? It would seem to be such a simpler thing to do, yet Sony seems to go out of their way to add differences to each country's specific model. I just don't understand the business model at all.

Joe

I am a little confused as to why the radio frequencies should even be an issue. Cowon, who also sells some very nice mp3 players, allows for setting the radio frequencies based on your country. It is just built into the firmware.

WHY can't Sony just make a single unit with the options to adjust for each country? It would seem to be such a simpler thing to do, yet Sony seems to go out of their way to add differences to each country's specific model. I just don't understand the business model at all.

Joe

Sony doesn`t make universal model basically b`coz they think there market would be down in specific countries.

Sony doesn`t make universal model basically b`coz they think there market would be down in specific countries.

That still makes no sense because it would be cheaper to make one unit versus creating several models of so many of their units. Heck, some of the MD units aren't even physically the same. One unit with a single firmware that supports unicode and everyone would be set.

Hi all!

I'm glad I found this forum. I had ordered my NW-E507 on Amazon because it looked like a totally cool player... but now I have something to look forward to: the NW-A608.

Question is, do any of you think it will come to the US? I mean, I've seen companies like Casio do the sell-good-stuff-only-outside-of-US thing (namely the EX-Z4 with video vs EX-Z4U without US Only).

I did some searching and came up with http://www.dynamism.com/nw-a608/pricing.shtml selling the A608 unit, the special edition ones too (I think the Emerald color looks awesome!). Anyone think it's worth it for ~$320 US? These'll probably be the JP imported ones so I'm thinking the FM radio won't work.

If importing the canadian ones, radio should be fine, right?

/sylikc

Here is the thing, NA radios will work, ie car radios, but not as well as european stock ones in cars. My uncles chrysler voyager radio from canada doesn't work very well in europe. but it does pick up stations. Never tried any thing from europe to NA though. My old sony casette walkman with radio worked just fine in europe though when I brought it over back in 95.

US & europe has same  frequency range i.e ( 87.5 – 108MHz ).So it should work ..

For futher information u can check word file(Radio broadcasting frequencies around the world) attached

Sweet. Ok, the UK and US frequencies overlap almost all the way... hmm, thanks for the info Stuge. Gosh, then I might be tempted to go hunting for it in Europe...

those Emerald and Gold color ones look so cool though!

Sweet.  Ok, the UK and US frequencies overlap almost all the way... hmm, thanks for the info Stuge.  Gosh, then I might be tempted to go hunting for it in Europe...

those Emerald and Gold color ones look so cool though!

I have seen some in the shops in UK, but mainly violet colour and son wants the blue one but my computer windows 98 SE will not support the software. I will buy a new one but not until after Xmas for the sales. At the moment I have got sonicstage version 3.3, Stuge, do you think, if I use sonic instead of connect, will it work. Son has his library music in Sonic. I would also like memebers feedback on the new NWA 608. Also, I think, I have read that there is a clock on the Sony NWE 407. I have just download version 3.3 a few days ago, do I need to update any software or driver. Thanks