Sony Insider Forums
Damage

Damage Reviews: Sony MDR-XD400

Rate this topic

yeah 5% not that great given sony's high prices.

honestly, for portable use i'd grab either

Audio Technica ATH-FC7 for $48

user posted image

or

Sennheiser PX100 $63

user posted image

both from bluetin

+10ish shipping

or maybe some portpros by koss

Had at look at AudioCubes, Mdr-xd200 are $63 AUS$$, which is 20 cheaper than Sony...

Thanks every very much for all your help!

Much appreciated!

I more question tongue.gif

Is it better to have a lower or higher Sensitivity?? Sony xd200's have 102 (dB/mW), others like the Sennheiser PX100 have 114 dB(SPL)...?

Thanks guys!

Many people have said thee 200's arn't very loud...

I was told that through an e-mail from Sony as well "be aware that headphones like this aren't made for portable devices. They will not be very loud."

Wouldn't I overcome this by turning up the volume? tongue.gif

i'd seriously look at the phones i put up in a previous post. both actually portable, fold up & drive easily from all portables, even weak md amps.

turning up the volume won't always help if the phones aren't efficient enough.

have you ever tried to drive up a steep hill in a high gear? flooring the accelerator won't help, you need to find the right gear for the circustances.

i'd seriously look at the phones i put up in a previous post. both actually portable, fold up & drive easily from all portables, even weak md amps.

turning up the volume won't always help if the phones aren't efficient enough.

Yeh thanks. I have been having a good look at the PX100's as well... need to try both out.

The PX100's just look like they'd fall off a moving head... wink.gif

Other thing is the px100's don't have the lowest sounding frequency... 15-27,000...

Sony's is 10-22,000

most frequency responses are for shit. like battery life times, you will be able to audition the px100s at walkman hut, they have them at jb but 1/ they're $120 & 2/ the don't let you trial headphones. bastards. the fc7s you can't try out in aus as far as i know but bowerbru[sp?] just got a pair & wrote a review on the tstation iirc.

Finally.... the $16 XD400 catch from eBay is here. smile.gif

Initial impressions: I am currently listening to Charlie Parker with the D-777 and I have to say that I am pleasantly amazed. The XD400 certainly handled the saxophone in a balanced, detailed manner - no murkiness so to speak.

I shall drive the headphone further and post a pictorial accordingly. wink.gif Damage... thanks for the thorough review once again! I thought I was just a MD collector... now my headphones collection is growing as well. happy.gif

Finally.... the $16 XD400 catch from eBay is here. smile.gif

Initial impressions: I am currently listening to Charlie Parker with the D-777 and I have to say that I am pleasantly amazed. The XD400 certainly handled the saxophone in a balanced, detailed manner - no murkiness so to speak.

I shall drive the headphone further and post a pictorial accordingly.  wink.gif Damage... thanks for the thorough review once again! I thought I was just a MD collector... now my headphones collection is growing as well. happy.gif

Could you please post a link of the $16!!!!!

We have to pay $150 AUS, which is at least 60 american!!!!

just trawl ebay, ishi got lucky.

I hope this thread isn't dead and someone can please help me. I am seriously considering mdr xd400's but I have a few questions for happy owners. Does anyone wear glasses and spend long hours with your xd400's? Is it comfortable with glasses on after a few hours use? Also, do your ears get warm/waxy/sweaty? Finally, I'm concerned about the lack of manual size adjustment, is the headband oppressive (especially for large-headed people)? Thank you.

Edit: Also, I intend to use them with my PC, without amplifier. Does that mean that they will sound weak? Thank you.

Edited by Anonymouse

1. Comfy with glasses on or off. There's plenty of padding.

2. It gets warm, but my ears gets warm with any closed set of headphones. It's a tradeoff, you live and learn to deal with it.

3. No, headband auto adjusts with its springs. It might be slightly tight for really ginormous heads, but I find it rather comfortable.

Agree with Damage.

I wear galsses for computer work, and wear the MD200's (the headphones down from the 400's) and the padding is very comfortable all the time.

Ears get a little hot if I turn up the volume of a really energetic piece.

Love my 200's. There awesome!

Thanks for the replies. Since my ears sweat so much, I guess I can't get these. Do you know of some good quality open ear or closed ear with ventilation headphones for ~$80 (US) that are durable and don't have excessive bass? Thanks.

Edit: I am reading up on senn HD 485's, they seem closed but people say the ventilation is good?

Edited by Anonymouse

quick question, im picking up the xd200's this weekend; i realize they are quite big ( i havent tried them on) but i was wondering if they would look ok if i wore them around the streets with my mp3 player.... or not so much?

Yeh you can get a round with them on ya head walking around streets, though I personally wouldn't do it. You mihgt get some stares and weird looks from some people though tongue.gif

Maybe take a small mirror into the shop you are buying them from, so you can get a look at them.

Hello,

I have a question to people who use these headphones. I think I used Sony headphones all my life (usually the cheapest ones), in most cases Im 100% satisied with the quality of sound and design for the price, but what cheap headphones lack is reliability, mdr v 150 crack about six months of use the chromed logo vanishes almost within 2 weeks if you mess with it and so on, but theyre cheap and i don't have any complaints about em.

The last headphones I bought were XD-200, I was blown away by the quality of sound compared to cans like v150, it's just amazing for their price, but they have some serious problems with finish. Some people don't care about such things, but I do and thats what my question is about. XD-200 had a chromed circle around each earcup - it's very easy to damage or peel off, I had to carefuly remove it with a tooth paste after like a week of use because they look really bad if theres atleast a tiny scratch on this chromed surface. So my question is: what about xd400? Are these circles around the earcups and "SONY" logo chromed like on XD200? or do they have a real layer of metal or real chrome inlays? So is it a finish like on cheap walkmans or is it durable?

I plan to buy xd400 and I want to use them for a very long time, I need headphones with a lasting look. S thats why I'm asking.

IPB Image

Edited by mx daydreamer

the best headphone you could find is for sure the HD- 25 by Sennheiser !!! up to 120 db !!! ok , quite big compared to the sonyxd 400 but what a SOUND so PURE... i enjoy it for two years now :)

thx Damage for the fantastic review :give_heart:

but I have one Q :scratchhead:

Q\does your ear into the phone or on rim the phone ?