Mz-rh10 And Sonicstage 3.0 Problems

Rate this topic

Noam

I got my MZ-RH10 yesterday and have been testing it. I tried the real time

solution of playing the recorded material on the HiMD and capturing with

total recorder. Problem is the HiMD puts tracks whenever the sound level

drops (I use battery box into line in). It put 136 tracks on a 94 recording. When I play it as described in the Minidisk Community Forum, A Guide to HiMD Uploading, Paranoiacs' Option, by pressing "Play" in SonicStage on the HiMD half of the screen*, it plays it with 2 second gaps between the tracks, and this is what the Total Recorder captures. Is there a way to either prevent that from happening, or to set the HiMD so that it doesn't put these damn tracks?

I edited a recording and removed tracks manually on the HiMD,

one by one. When I tried to upload them to the computer through SonicStage 3.0

it crashed and gave me a message "Omgjbox.exe has encountered a problem and

needs to close"**, and of course the recording was lost, impossible to upload

it again. This happened repeatedly, and only made me determined to ALWAYS

capture the recording in real time using Total Recorder, but what about

these 2 second gaps? -

(*http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=7436)

Basically you have to choose between using the SONY software and risking a crash and loss of material, and using the Total Recorder, which is more sophisticated but less straight forward than the SONY software. The Total Recorder is also the only way to edit, because if you try to follow SONY's recommendations on how to edit, they say in the manual NOT to edit with their software on the computer, because it will take HOURS; they recommend editing on the HiMD itself manually. But when you do that it crashes during upload and all is lost.

Additionally, SonicStage 3.0 with the Simple Burner supports only 8x burning speed and does not support CD-RW.

Also, ALL MANUAL MIC INPUT RECORDING SETTINGS WILL RESET to full AUTO (Sony's TYPICAL default) when you STOP recording, so like with previous models of with Sony MD’s, you have to push all the buttons again to gain control for MANUAL REC level and LOW microphone sensitivity SETTING EVERY TIME YOU START UP TO RECORD AGAIN!

Noam sad.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**And this is Microsoft's analysis of this problem:

“Error Caused By Sony Corporation: No Specific Solution Found

Problem Description

An analyst at Microsoft has investigated this problem and determined that an

unknown error occurred in OpenMG-SonicStage Jukebox. This software was

created by Sony Corporation.

Problem Resolution

Microsoft has researched this problem with Sony Corporation, and they do not

currently have a solution for the problem that you reported. Below is a list

of recommendations to take that may help prevent the problem from recurring.

a.. Contact Sony Corporation for support or product updates.

Additional Information

If this problem continues to occur with the latest product updates for

OpenMG-SonicStage Jukebox, we recommend you obtain assistance and

troubleshooting information directly from Sony Corporation.

For more help and information about how to troubleshoot and fix common

errors on your computer, please see the Microsoft Online Crash Analysis:

Help, Support, and Tools article.” (end of Microsoft error report)

set the HiMD so that it doesn't put these damn tracks?

You can try using Rec Set/Time Mark with its longest time between marks--60 minutes. It may or may not override the silence sensor through line-in, since apparently it varies with which model you have.

one by one.

Did you edit the recording after trying to upload? Because when I edit on the machine before uploading, there's no problem--it doesn't know the other track marks were ever there.

Since you can only upload once, editing afterward on the MD may drive Sonic Stage over the brink, since it writes something on the disc to tell itself they were uploaded.

More worrisome is that SS 3.0 crashed and screwed up your upload.

Is Sonic Stage constantly crashing on you? Or does it only crash under these circumstances? The Microsoft "response" sounds like pure boilerplate.

The first step might be to install SS 3.0 again. Use the installer and when it responds that you have it already installed, tell it to do a complete reinstall anyway. This was how I finally got SS 3.0 to work.

If Sonic Stage is still crashing right and left, and you have some time, call up Sony Support and demand that they help you stop the crashes. Your first few levels of tech support will be useless, but if you're persistent they will hook you up with someone who's actually heard of SonicStage.

...it plays it with 2 second gaps between the tracks, and this is what the Total Recorder captures. Is there a way to either prevent that from happening, or to set the HiMD so that it doesn't put these damn tracks?

Regarding Total Recorder: no, there's no way to avoid this. TR is simply doing its job of recording; SonicStage is what is inserting the gaps. Until SS is changed in this regard, there's nothing to be done about it.

However - if you're willing to accept possible dropped samples, there's an option in TR that tells it to drop zero-sections in its recording. There's no guarantee that the beginning/end of tracks will actually meet exactly when using this, but it's worth a try.

A440 already pointed out the only potential solution to auto-trackmarking [using auto time mark].

one by one. When I tried to upload them to the computer through SonicStage 3.0

it crashed and gave me a message "Omgjbox.exe has encountered a problem and

needs to close"**, and of course the recording was lost, impossible to upload

it again.

Not that you'll be happy to hear this, but congratulations - you're the first person to report lost uploads with SS 3.0.

As I never use the editing features on my recorder [NH700], btu always upload [and don't use TR any more because I haven't lost a single upload since using SS 2.2], the only thing I can suggest is that editing the tracks on the unit itself may be the cause of your problem. A440's experience seems to contradict this, though.

The Total Recorder is also the only way to edit, because if you try to follow SONY's recommendations on how to edit, they say in the manual NOT to edit with their software on the computer, because it will take HOURS; they recommend editing on the HiMD itself manually. But when you do that it crashes during upload and all is lost.

Sony's warning about uploading PCM and editing it are absolute bollocks. They are there because most people don't realise the amount of data that makes up a PCM recording, and how much time it can take to copy these files [even from hard disc to hard disc] and edit them. Anyone with even a basic understanding of how these things work [most people don't], a computer fast enough to handle manipulating files that are in the 500MB range [most people now do], and the patience [most people lack this] can basically ignore those warnings.

I regularly work with [audio] files that are up to 1GB in size - you just have to accept that it takes time to do things with that much data. In the end, it takes less time to edit a single 1GB file than it does to edit 20 50MB ones.

I also use SS's combine/divide features regularly, for both short and long recordings, and have never had a single problem using it for such. [i usually combine all contiguous tracks into single files to maintain gapless playback post-editing.]

As for SS crashing on your machine - what else do you have running? Any software for other USB hardware? Are any other devices plugged into the same USB controller as the RH10? Do you have a lot of other programs running in the background? [incidentally, I upload with fair regularity with heavy system load with no problems.]

What version of Windows are you running? Servicepack level? What hardware do you have?

Point being: the problem might be SS interacting poorly with something else you're running.

Additionally, SonicStage 3.0 with the Simple Burner supports only 8x burning speed and does not support CD-RW.

I didn't actually know this, but then, the -only- thing I use SS for is putting MP3s on my HiMD, and uploading tracks. I wouldn't even consider using it for burning CDs.

Also, ALL MANUAL MIC INPUT RECORDING SETTINGS WILL RESET to full AUTO (Sony's TYPICAL default) when you STOP recording

This is a well-known issue, and one that many of us have been griping about for some time.

I agree with A440's response re: MS's response. Boilerplate. Sony are the ones you need to dog about this, if anyone.