Hat Trick For MDCF? - Service Mode + 2nd Gen Hi-MD

Hi! I made the hack to the rh710 and now its work perfectly, with the 2Custiom EQ's and more volume. It seems to me that the output is much clear and with more defined bass. ¡And now I love my Hi-MD!

Thanks GREAT THANKS to Ishiyoshi and Kurisu!!! and to all the forum

Thanks induktor for the "spanish reply"

P.D. Excuse me for my basic english

P.D. 2 ¿Why Sony sells in South America an "European model" ????? :scratchhead:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi. I just want to say that hacking my RH10 worked fine... but on different numbers :) the unit I have is a secondhand that surely is an European model. and of course the customized EQ was disabled. I entered 0113, just as you suggested, and changed it to ~01.

now I have both custom1 and custom2 and editing via the recorder is possible as well. I hope nothing wrong happened but it works just like before the change. anyway thanks you all for your help! now it's much better :D

• 2 months later...

Hi! I made the hack to the rh710 and now its work perfectly, with the 2Custiom EQ's and more volume. It seems to me that the output is much clear and with more defined bass. ¡And now I love my Hi-MD!

Thanks GREAT THANKS to Ishiyoshi and Kurisu!!! and to all the forum

Thanks induktor for the "spanish reply"

P.D. Excuse me for my basic english

P.D. 2 ¿Why Sony sells in South America an "European model" ????? :scratchhead:

Me too. I got MY RH710 unit yesterday and did the hack accordingly, got BOTH custom EQ's, full volume AND editing ability after finding out on this thread that 20 was the US/Canada setting.

I checked it out with first my MDR-ERX71SL phones and only noticed a small difference, then I put on both my MDR-E808 and MDR-A34SP phones each, and noticed a bigger difference in volume, similar to me Canadian NH700 unit.

I guess it is suicide to use the EX71s, because although they are also 16 ohms (as are the A34 and E808 units), they only have 100dB SPL, while the A34 and E808 phones have 108dB SPL.... BIGGER DIFFERENCE!!! With more SPL means you use less volume to drive the same loudness. Now I am caught in-between using my RM-MC60 I bought for it and buying a black RM-MC38EL from Sony DAPC (originally supplied with RH1 units). for use with my inline skate gear.

XTRA THANX to both Ishiyoshi and Karisu for making my weekend when I got my new deadstock RH710 from the UK on eBay!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I successfully entered service mode, but if i haven't pressed PAUSE button to confirm all the changes where lost? I mean i do not want to hack my unit by now. I pressed several times CANCEL instead of PAUSE. Did i do any changes? :)

• 9 months later...

I have an RH910 and wanted to use this hack. Unfortunately my FFW button only intermitently works.... I'm guessing there is not an alternate button sequence that will enter service mode. If there is could someone please enlighten me? Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Hello all, I am new here.

I used to have a NetMD Walkman a few years ago but it got stolen. I remained a big fan of the MD format; however, I switched to an MP3 player (Creative ZEN Xtra, which was top of the line at the time) and then to Sony Walkman mobile phones (one of the entry level ones and then to the W950i). Nevertheless, none of these devices matched the MD player in terms of sound quality and for this reason, I decided to get a Hi-MD player recently. I found the MZ-RH710 for 60 pounds on Amazon so I went ahead and bought that.

I used the hacking procedure outlined in this thread and it worked wonders. The player is now, to my ears, RIDICULOUSLY loud (a setting of 18 is more or less as loud as the very top volume of the W950i with the latest firmware) and the excellent sound quality is intact.

I'll probably get one of the high level models when they become cheaper (I want the HQ digital amp and isnt there one that displays album art?) but at the moment I am extremely satisfied with the MZ-RH710 and will certainly use it exclusively for longer journeys that are quite common for me.

Note: Just like a previous poster, I had an increasing number ending with AO under 1113. Changed that to 24 and it did the trick.

I used to have a NetMD Walkman a few years ago but it got stolen. I remained a big fan of the MD format; however, I switched to an MP3 player (Creative ZEN Xtra, which was top of the line at the time) and then to Sony Walkman mobile phones (one of the entry level ones and then to the W950i). Nevertheless, none of these devices matched the MD player in terms of sound quality and for this reason, I decided to get a Hi-MD player recently. I found the MZ-RH710 for 60 pounds on Amazon so I went ahead and bought that.

I used the hacking procedure outlined in this thread and it worked wonders. The player is now, to my ears, RIDICULOUSLY loud (a setting of 18 is more or less as loud as the very top volume of the W950i with the latest firmware) and the excellent sound quality is intact.

I'll probably get one of the high level models when they become cheaper (I want the HQ digital amp and isnt there one that displays album art?) but at the moment I am extremely satisfied with the MZ-RH710 and will certainly use it exclusively for longer journeys that are quite common for me.

Note: Just like a previous poster, I had an increasing number ending with AO under 1113. Changed that to 24 and it did the trick.

Hi! and congrats to your purchase and your return to MD! ^^

The only model displaying album art is the Hi-MD audio/photo unit DH10P (2nd generation Hi-MD) but it's a downloader only, so: no input whatsoever. (But you can make photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) ;-) you can get it at bluetin.

btw: the HD digital amp really is a step forward in terms of sound quality. I HATED my E10 with its standard digital amp.

rgrds

edit-PS: There is also a SonyStyle exclusive red version of the DH10P but it might be expensive (at ebay et al.)

Edited by sinus

Hi! and congrats to your purchase and your return to MD! ^^

The only model displaying album art is the Hi-MD audio/photo unit DH10P (2nd generation Hi-MD) but it's a downloader only, so: no input whatsoever. (But you can make photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) ;-) you can get it at bluetin.

btw: the HD digital amp really is a step forward in terms of sound quality. I HATED my E10 with its standard digital amp.

rgrds

edit-PS: There is also a SonyStyle exclusive red version of the DH10P but it might be expensive (at ebay et al.)

The DH10P is a nice collector's item, but as a regular player / downloader it isn't that great. The battery life is pretty poor due to the colour TFT screen, and the 1.3Mp camera is pretty lame compared to those that can be found on modern cell phones...

The USB 1.1 transfer speed via a proprietary USB port / docking station isn't such a good idea either. Not to mention charging of the battery via that said dock only too...

Thanks for the replies. I never contributed to these forums before but I was always aware of the MD community being a really friendly bunch of audiophiles!

The DH10P looks a little ridiculous actually, I think I'll stick to ordinary players. Nevertheless, if Sony still wants to make MD players in the future, a proper LCD screen with album art, artist/album browsing etc. on a very small, streamlined unit (as in, only marginally larger than the MD itself) should be the way to go. MP3 players with 80gb storage are nice but removable media also has advantages and we, as consumers, should be offered a choice.

I am also still not satisfied with the sound quality of any MP3 player that I ever tried (including iPods, Creative, Cowon, Archos and iRiver devices).

At home, I use the Creative XMOD as an external digital amp (it additionally upsamples the sound to 24bit and cleans it of artifacts) and on the move, well, the outside noise usually makes it impossible to hear the real sound nuances offered by a proper amp anyway.

Either way, I'm satisfied for now :)

Can soimeone cue up the theme from Welsome Back Kotter for this guy?

As an owner of two RH710's (as part of my vast arsenal of units, I say congrats on your find, now don't forget to buy a remote for it, virtually any LCD remote from Sony's lineup will work with it, I myself have a couple of RM-MC55ELK Black remotes for use with mine, to go along with my black MDR-EX85SL IEM's (see http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=20235 for my pictorial of my MZ-RH710 and accessories).