Question On Battery Life

Rate this topic

hanz0

ok, im gonna be recording in Hi-Sp with my MZ-NH900, on a Hi-MD disc. i will also have the AA battery thing hooked to it and have a fully charged NH-14WM battery. i guess those specs werent entirely neccessary, but heres my question. if the player is set to record, and paused (with hold > On). how long will the player stay paused(does it automatically turn off if paused for too long)? and does it use a lot of battery life while paused? im thinking the player could be paused for while, so im just wondering.

thanks in advance

note: the entire show will last around 3 hours or so, but the player will only be recording for about 2 hours. and maybe be paused for an hour. will the battery along with the AA extension last?

Edited by hanz0

You can try the experiment yourself with your unit.

I just left my NHF-800 paused overnight, for 8 hours. It didn't shut off, and it may have gone down by one (of four) bars on the battery meter. It uses just the one AA battery.

During the pause, though, you should hit stop to save the first half of the recording. There must be a way you could hide the MD for a few moments to set manual volume again. Everyone else will be playing with their cell phone, camera, etc., so if you don't flaunt it no one will notice.

thanks a440. (dont know what id do w/o you man)

anywho, ive decided to sneak a small pair of headphones in aswell, so i can listen to the recording during intermission. the reason that itll be on pause for a while, is cause i only wanna record one song from the opening act. i was gonna just leave it on pause after that, but im thinking itll be a good idea to go to the bathroom or something so i can listen to it, and maybe tweek the settings a bit.

thanks again

You do realise that the disc still spins in the MD player as it is paused. Its the same as play function without the sound coming through

***Oh yeah, i friend told me that the battery case (black thing u put AA batteries in) is like a portable charger to ur battery (the NiMH also known as the bubblegum battery a.k.a gumstick battery) (The low down: AA charges NiMH battery, player gets power from NiMH battery), its the not the best thing to do cos its just a diversion if u leave ur battery in there! I think its best to use the attachable battery case, without the NiMH in, it'll save ur NiHM's life * i hope* ***

*recording is fun!*

Edited by Silvadragon

• 2 weeks later...

I made the huge mistake of completely forgetting that I have my MZ-NH1 recharging... I have been hearing a high pitched buzz when I go to bed at nights... and 30 mins ago, when I was at my desk, I heard it louder... looked down at the cords, and found it was the MD cord buzzing!!

I then realised it had been charging for about 3 days :| sad.gif!

Turned it on... all seems to be working.

Do you think I have done any long/short term damage to the MD/battery?

when you say 'buzz' you deffo don't mean the high pitched 'white noise' produced by many PSUs [like some powerbricks & tvs]?

unplug & let them cool off for a bit just to be on the safe side.

do u have those kind of magnet like things that ur power cord is wrapped around on the charging cable. Cos mine does. To apply physics, its designed to increase the voltage without increasing required energy to charge the MD. You ppl might noe this from the idea of copper wire wrapped around a magnet to increase the magnetic field's power. But newayz, if u do have those magnets and u've left them on for 3 days. I think the magnets may have gone into overtime.

Btw, does it make a noise like a transformer (for electicity)?

I hope u didn't do ne dmg to ur battery

It did make en electricity kinda sound!

There was this constant buzz in my room every time I went to bed it really annoyed me!

I took the MD Cord out of the power unit, and the buzz slowly died away :| sad.gif

I hope it didn't do any damage either!

There is a good resource at battery university - lots of info about battery charging etc. Im sure a few days of trickle charging will leave your battery unharmed. At worse, I would guess it'd be the battery which has gone bad, rather than the unit, just check it over and try it out. It says on the link somewhere about the pressure building up in the battery as charging goes on - perhaps this caused the noise!

As for the "phyiscs lesson", that may cause damage - the "magnet" things are "clamp filters", they are not magnetic - they don't even hold a paper clip - I think they are cable tidies. And besides, wrapping a current carrying cable around a magnet will do very little to the voltage in the cable unless the magnet is moving relative to the cable. cool.gif

wrapping a current carrying cable around a magnet will do very little to the voltage in the cable unless the magnet is moving relative to the cable. cool.gif

Correction - the charge is moving relative to the clamp so if it were a magnet it would affect it (by a tiny amount).

Edited by matrulesok

this might b a worry

as stated on the home site minidisc.org

Battery life PCM/Hi-SP/Hi-LP on reformatted 300MB std-MD medium Play Record Recharge

LiIon

LIP-4WM 8/14.5/17.5 hr 5/8/9 hr full: 3 hr, 80%: 1 hr

Battery life PCM/Hi-SP/Hi-LP on 1GB Hi-MD medium Play Record Recharge

LiIon

LIP-4WM 10/15.5/18 hr 6/8.5/9.5 hr full: 3 hr, 80%: 1 hr

Battery life SP/LP2/LP4 Play Record Recharge

LiIon

LIP-4WM 14.5/17/18.5 hr 8/10/10.5 hr

sorry its messy

i cbf re-arranging it cos i have hw to do

Edited by Silvadragon

• 2 weeks later...

I am concerned about the battery life of the RH-10. I have barely used it but it seems to use up the whole battery while off. I had previously fully charged it and took it out today and found the battery flat. I had put 'hold' on to avoid any buttons being accidentaly pushed while in the pouch. There is no 'off' button as such on this model - it just switches itself off - or does it?

Any ideas?

Sounds like you have the Quick Mode on. That keeps the unit in a semi-ready state so it doesn't take as long to get started. Access the Options Menu and set the Quick Mode to Off. That should fix your problem. I haven't had any problems like that with my RH10. But I did forget to change it on my old NH900 and it did drain the battery even though

it was "OFF".