Sensitivity (dB): 104

Frequency (Hz): 10~25,000

Weight (g): 120

Color Variety: Black only

Cord Length: 0.5m and 1.5m cords

Cord Arrangement: detachable

Cord Type: OFC

Plug Type: Stereo mini

Included Accessories: 0.5m and 1.5m cords, carry pouch, Stereo plug adaptor.

<HR noShade SIZE=1>

MDR-D66SL

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Specifications

Headphone Type: Foldable elastic headband

Driver: 40mm

Impedance (Ohms): 40

Sensitivity (dB): 108dB

Frequency (Hz): 10~25,000

Weight (g): 120

Cord Length: 0.5cm plus 1.0m extension

Cord Arrangement: Single-sided

Cord Type: Litz OFC

Plug Type: Gold-plated Stereo mini

Included Accessories: 1.0m extension cable, plush-felt carrying pouch, gold-plated Stereo plug adaptor.

<HR noShade SIZE=1>

MDR-D77

** pictures coming soon **

Specifications

Headphone Type: Foldable elastic headband

Driver: 40mm

Impedance (Ohms): 45

Sensitivity (dB): 106

Frequency (Hz): 5~30,000

Weight (g): 120g

Cord Length: 0.5m and 1.5m cords

Cord Arrangement: detachable

Cord Type: OFC

Plug Type: Stereo mini

Included Accessories: 0.5m and 1.5m cords, carry pouch, Stereo plug adaptor.

<HR noShade SIZE=1>

Eggos Replacement Parts

MDR-D55

Cardboard: Part # 495879801

Band ASSY, Head: Part # A4540187A

Housing [L] ASSY: Part # A4540192A

Housing [R] ASSY: Part # A4540193A

Plate [L] ASSY, Front: Part # A4540194A

Plate [R] ASSY, Front: Part # A4540195A

Micro to Mini Cord 1.5 m: Part # 169692821

Micro to Micro Cord 0.5 m: Part # 169692911

Lid [L], Rotor: Part # 495643501

Lid [R], Rotor: Part # 495643601

Pad, Ear: Part # 495644711

Stopper, Screwdriver: Part # 495644801

User Manual: Part # 375622321

MDR-D66SL

Carrying Pouch: Part # 322106401

Housing [L] ASSY: Part # A4540633A

Housing [R] ASSY: Part # A4540634A

Plate [L] ASSY, Front: Part # A4540635A

Plate [R] ASSY, Front: Part # A4540636A

Hanger [L] ASSY: Part # X33794401

Hanger [R] ASSY: Part # 322079101

Cord: Part # 175712211

Pad, Ear: Part # 322079301

Tube, R: Part # 322117401

Band ASSY, Head: Part # 495642402

Slider [L]: Part # 495642702

Slider [R]: Part # 495642802

Stopper [upper]: Part # 495643111

Stopper [Lower] [L]: Part # 495643211

Stopper [Lower] [R]: Part # 495643311

Lid [L], Rotor: Part # 495643511

Lid [R], Rotor: Part # 495643611

Bracket [L], Slider: Part # 495650901

Bracket [R], Slider: Part # 495662001

Housing [R] ASSY: Part # X33806111

Housing [R] ASSY: Part # X33806121

MDR-D77

Driver (040F011): Part # 150513021

Housing [L] ASSY: Part # A4540188A

Housing [R] ASSY: Part # A4540189A

Plate [L] ASSY, Front: Part # A4540190A

Plate [R] ASSY, Front: Part # A4540191A

Micro to Mini Cord 1.5 m: Part # 169692821

Micro to Micro Cord 0.5 m: Part # 169692911

Case Soft (FAB-NW): Part # 495651001

Pad, Ear: Part # 495644701

Stopper, Screwdriver: Part # 495644501

User Manual: Part # 375622301 or 375622311

<HR noShade SIZE=1>

You're not missing much. I really cannot justify the D22's - they're really only good for budgeted situations if you catch them for the right price. This is an excellent pictorial, by the by..your pictures are fantastic and really display the 'eggos' look. Out of all three that you own, which do you use the most?

You're not missing much. I really cannot justify the D22's - they're really only good for budgeted situations if you catch them for the right price.

i did grab them for a decent price enjoy them greatly but regret not paying the extra for the 66s, mostly for the single cord & heavier duty construction.

i did grab them for a decent price enjoy them greatly but regret not paying the extra for the 66s, mostly for the single cord & heavier duty construction.

the poor constrcution was what bothered me the most of the sony eggo d22. that and also the 2 cord. I sold them after a few months because i thought they were not that good after all.

In stead I now own a ATH-FC7! Didn't regret it yet smile.gif (and don't think i will ever regret it)

• 1 month later...

Hahaha, I had those two both at the same time...I will say that the A500s have the smoothness which the D66s do not. I do need a new pair of eggos since my band broke sad.gif (cracked)...

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

great pics Ishi... bet all that great jazz you listen to sounds sweet on any of them :)

do you use them while travelling? or just at home?

Edited by garyc

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of D66SL's which I bought a year ago from Audiocubes for about a hundred bucks. No complaints at all about the sound or build quality, but, being a clumsy fool, I managed to break one of the plastic brackets that connect the earcups to the band. The are currently marred by an unsightly strip of masking tape. Thanks to your helpful post I can now replace the bracket and restore the 'phones to their previous pristine glory.

Of course, being a new member, I have to ask the obligatory and damning stupid question(s);

How does one contact Sony to order the replacement part, approximately how much does said part cost, and (heres the worst) which part do I kneed? Sony jargon is unintelligible to me.

Thanks in advance.

I have a pair of D66SL's which I bought a year ago from Audiocubes for about a hundred bucks. No complaints at all about the sound or build quality, but, being a clumsy fool, I managed to break one of the plastic brackets that connect the earcups to the band. The are currently marred by an unsightly strip of masking tape. Thanks to your helpful post I can now replace the bracket and restore the 'phones to their previous pristine glory.

Of course, being a new member, I have to ask the obligatory and damning stupid question(s);

How does one contact Sony to order the replacement part, approximately how much does said part cost, and (heres the worst) which part do I kneed? Sony jargon is unintelligible to me.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums!

Sorry for the delayed response. Could you provide a picture of the damaged area? Please send them via pm and I will try my best to help.

As for Sony replacement parts, you can order items direct from Sony DAPC either by web/phone/mail. However, not all parts are available since the eggo in question (MDR-D66SL) was never released in the States.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ah, the beauty of egg-like shapes... you horrible ppl, look what you've done now... I just ordered the MDR-D66SL from audiocubes :angry::lol:

well, I can hardly wait till I get to try them (will be in about 5-10 days depending on customs trouble)

now I've got myself an open/summer pair of phones --> Sennheiser px100, a closed/winter pair (and Belgium has long winters :D ) --> Sony MDR-D66SL eggos, an in-flight isolating pair --> panasonic RP-JE50 and even some stock-bud replacements for rough circumstances --> Senn MX350/450 and then there are the quite decently sounding Senn HD497's but as they hurt my ears like hell after about ten minutes so I'm thinking of donating them or something :P

glad I'm not really audiophile (yet) as I'm getting slowly hooked on phones I guess :lol:

hi, two additional questions strictly related to the eggo's (but if you think this might be too distracting from the main purpose of his thread, feel free to drop 'em in a thread of their own)...

- has anyone here ever performed the Bower-mod (the one with the holes in the membranes, not the filter mod... see also this page)? Is it worth it? Is it a sure no-go?

- the eggos are meant to be portable phones and that will be my main use for them, and as such are expected to perform quite well with a low-power source... but do they still benefit from a dedicated portable headphone amp?

I'll be traveling by train/plane often and as I always carry a bag with my 12" PowerBook G4 I could easily stuff a flatpack containing my RH1, a small preamp and a couple of discs in there so I'm looking at a couple of cheap but decent little preamps (the Pengamp Cmoy and the Little Dot Micro+ essentially) and I wonder whether it would actually be worth it to go RH1 -> line-out -> pre-amp -> D66SL.

well, interested in what y'all think about this...

I was also thinking of doing the Bass Mod, but I was afraid it would make the Eggos a tad more open and I'd lose the isolation that I desperately need at places like the library. It's so tempting to just do the mod and if things don't turn out as planned, I'd get the K81 for on-the-go and Eggos for home.

jaylen, as far as I know, you could just 'undo' the mod by placing tape over the holes and thereby making the phones fully closed again...

I just haven't got a soldering gun so I'll wait till I have the phones with me and see what the membrane is actually made of to make up my mind in doing the mod or not... I'd like a bit of bass and I do not care that much about isolation...well not inside --> outside isolation at least

Oooh, I didn't know that. After doing more searching on Head-Fi, I ran into this thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113171

I may just try it. Well, once I find a geek with a soldering iron that I can borrow.

great, I have just received my D66SL's :D ... brilliant!

I am currently listening to some Tool with them, but I can't really say I think the bass is too 'thin'... it is tight yes, but it is definitely present... I will give them a day and after that I'll probably decide to do the mod anyway :lol: (especially as it is so easy to reverse)

one question streamline... were the shiny caps easy to remove without damaging any paint? what did you use (to remove the caps and to make the hole)?

• 3 weeks later...

wow. nice pics, ishii. but aren't d66s frequency range 10-25000hz? i can't remember. i threw my box away.

Thanks for the kind comments. :) You are quite right; the D66SL's frequency range is indeed 10-25,000Hz. Thanks for the note. That reminds me, I still need to update this thread with my D77 and other eggo variants. Stay tuned!