Sony Insider Forums
Ishiyoshi

Sony Eggos ~ D55 | D66SL | D77 ~ Pictorial

Rate this topic

i never realised i hadn't posted in this thread...

excellent pics Ishi, especially including all the replacement part numbers. most impressive.

i wonder if i should create a thread containing my "Eggo Flower" (damn, that D11W still eludes me)

ah, the beauty of egg-like shapes... you horrible ppl, look what you've done now... I just ordered the MDR-D66SL from audiocubes :angry::lol:

well, I can hardly wait till I get to try them (will be in about 5-10 days depending on customs trouble)

now I've got myself an open/summer pair of phones --> Sennheiser px100, a closed/winter pair (and Belgium has long winters :D ) --> Sony MDR-D66SL eggos, an in-flight isolating pair --> panasonic RP-JE50 and even some stock-bud replacements for rough circumstances --> Senn MX350/450 and then there are the quite decently sounding Senn HD497's but as they hurt my ears like hell after about ten minutes so I'm thinking of donating them or something :P

glad I'm not really audiophile (yet) as I'm getting slowly hooked on phones I guess :lol:

hi, two additional questions strictly related to the eggo's (but if you think this might be too distracting from the main purpose of his thread, feel free to drop 'em in a thread of their own)...

- has anyone here ever performed the Bower-mod (the one with the holes in the membranes, not the filter mod... see also this page)? Is it worth it? Is it a sure no-go?

- the eggos are meant to be portable phones and that will be my main use for them, and as such are expected to perform quite well with a low-power source... but do they still benefit from a dedicated portable headphone amp?

I'll be traveling by train/plane often and as I always carry a bag with my 12" PowerBook G4 I could easily stuff a flatpack containing my RH1, a small preamp and a couple of discs in there so I'm looking at a couple of cheap but decent little preamps (the Pengamp Cmoy and the Little Dot Micro+ essentially) and I wonder whether it would actually be worth it to go RH1 -> line-out -> pre-amp -> D66SL.

well, interested in what y'all think about this...

I was also thinking of doing the Bass Mod, but I was afraid it would make the Eggos a tad more open and I'd lose the isolation that I desperately need at places like the library. It's so tempting to just do the mod and if things don't turn out as planned, I'd get the K81 for on-the-go and Eggos for home.

jaylen, as far as I know, you could just 'undo' the mod by placing tape over the holes and thereby making the phones fully closed again...

I just haven't got a soldering gun so I'll wait till I have the phones with me and see what the membrane is actually made of to make up my mind in doing the mod or not... I'd like a bit of bass and I do not care that much about isolation...well not inside --> outside isolation at least

Oooh, I didn't know that. After doing more searching on Head-Fi, I ran into this thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113171

I may just try it. Well, once I find a geek with a soldering iron that I can borrow.

I just got a replacement headband part from Sony and repaired my eggos. Did the bass-mod at the same time. Nice improvement. Subtle, which is good since it doesn't ruin the overall sound of the phones.

great, I have just received my D66SL's :D ... brilliant!

I am currently listening to some Tool with them, but I can't really say I think the bass is too 'thin'... it is tight yes, but it is definitely present... I will give them a day and after that I'll probably decide to do the mod anyway :lol: (especially as it is so easy to reverse)

one question streamline... were the shiny caps easy to remove without damaging any paint? what did you use (to remove the caps and to make the hole)?

I didn't remove the caps. Unscrewed the ear cup and cut a hole in the paper over the dome to get access to it. Then took a hot soldering iron and popped the hole in the clear plastic dome.

wow. nice pics, ishii. but aren't d66s frequency range 10-25000hz? i can't remember. i threw my box away.

Thanks for the kind comments. :) You are quite right; the D66SL's frequency range is indeed 10-25,000Hz. Thanks for the note. That reminds me, I still need to update this thread with my D77 and other eggo variants. Stay tuned!