Hi Md Confusion

Rate this topic

veezhun

Hello,

I am currently using an Mz N10.. i want to get a hi md recorder to upload my recordings..

my primary use for the md is recording... playback is not important as i have an ipod mini...

i have been looking at the nh1, nh900 and the latest RH10.... and i am so damn confused....

the nh1 is really awesome... lineout, magnesium body, cool remote to monitor recording levels and change them etc etc.

the nh900 has the external battery pack.. line out,, lcd remote and a solid feel to it.

i had the fortune of playing with these 2 models at frankfurt...

but the rh10 with the oled display and the native mp3 support looks good.. but i dont know about the build quality.. i live in india and if something goes wrong.......

i wanted to know if the Nh1 and the nh900 can charge over usb... and can i use a wall charger that connects with USB just as the ipod???

any help would be greatly appreciated...

i also wanted to know if not having an external battery pack in the nh1 is a bad thing if i want to mainly record in PCM...

a confused soul with some cash to spend...

Edited by veezhun

If youre going for functionality, the nh900 is your winner. nh1 is a better looking version of the nh900. thats all.

the rh10 in fact has LESS features than the 1st gen (no lineout, no HD amp).

note that you CANNOT upload recordings made on your n10.

i wanted to know if the Nh1 and the nh900 can charge over usb... and can i use a wall charger that connects with USB just as the ipod???

i also wanted to know if not having an external battery pack in the nh1 is a bad thing if i want to mainly record in PCM...

The NH1 and NH900 do not charge via USB. Only second generation units have this functionality. The NH1 doesn't have an option to use an external battery pack - the NH900 does however and so do a few of the second generation units.

The NH1 and NH900 do not charge via USB. Only second generation units have this functionality. The NH1 doesn't have an option to use an external battery pack - the NH900 does however and so do a few of the second generation units.

thanks for the response

i am stuck between the nh1 or the rh10... i figured if u liked the nh900, i might as well look at the rh10.. but the nh1 is some piece of hardware... i love the metal look and my issue is this:

I have an mz N10 and if this build quality is an indicator, the NH1 should last me for a very long time.

When i record, it rarely ever goes beyond 3 hours. My maximum length recording has been 4 hours at a stretch. I record mainly indian classical music programmes.

I almost never look at the recorder once i start the recording.. it stays stealthily inside my pouch or a bag.. so the OLED display has no use for me while recording..

The main drawback of the Nh1 is the need to carry your charging stand everywhere..

The NH900 is also a superb device... the quality feels and looks good.. the battery back and dc-in on the unit is also a huge plus.

But you are right, the rh10 does look like a good machine with the kickass OLED screen.

any more suggestions and comments would be greatly welcomed..

cheers

if you can get a good deal (i.e. not more expensive than the newer machines tongue.gif ) on a nh900...go for it. The extra safe feeling (darn, sounds like some sanitary towels commercial tongue.gif ) you get from the AA-addon, the fact that it will charge with the charger alone (no need for the stand), the non-proprietairy gumstick battery that is easily upgradable, and the still quite rugged build will suit you very much...

If you can't get a good deal on a nh900 or you really wan't mp3 playback (I think you don't really care about that) get a rh10

I personally would stay away from the (though very nice looking) nh1 as it simply has too much specialities (need the charger, proprietary battery, need the remote for quite a few functions,...)

just my two cents...

just hope you enjoy Hi-MD as much you have MD

If youre going for functionality, the nh900 is your winner.  nh1 is a better looking version of the nh900. thats all.

I wouldn't say that. The NH1 has (in the manual, at the very least) similar recording time as NH900 with the AA Battery pack (I think the difference ends up being about 2 hours or so in HiLP mode...). You do get diminished playback time, but for recording purposes, especially stealth recording, your best option is to go with NH1. I also recall NH1 having on the fly level adjustment, whereas the NH900 doesn't.

Remember in the US, the NH1 is the only official way to obtain a RM-MC40ELK, which works wonders on all HiMD Units. Should be noted that the 40ELK loses out in functionality on some of the other devices, such as the current generation of PCDPs.

If nothing else, the NH1 makes one helluva fancy pocket watch as well. biggrin.gif