Professional Copyist Needs Help!

Rate this topic

mikio

The attenuator is only for live loud music, don't use it.

A440,

Got it! Don't use the attenuator for transferring analog (CASS) to digital (MD). Your process was crystal clear and I've already transferred files successfully. Finally.

Now I need to learn how to mark between tracks. I assume I'll get better at this process as I go along. However, thusfar, I'm lousy at it. Any hints to get better?

Also, if I chose to get a preamp/battery box, where does it get hooked up in my setup? Like the attenuator it's only used in live settings. When do I use the P/B?

Mikio

Quick question.  Is the picture under your name a Volume Attenuator?

Yes, it's the (in)famous Radio Shack Headphone Volume Control.

Track marking is just timing--push it and it's on the MD. You can get rid of track marks afterward by playing the track, Pause-ing it and going back (|<<) to where it will display MARK 001 (or whatever number); pushing the Track button deletes the mark and you can try again.

The Mic-In jack provides power to the mics and preamplification. If you are using a battery box (power) and preamp, then you don't need either one, so they go through Line-In, which expects a more powerful signal than a mic alone.

Mic--Preamp--Line-in. No attenuator necessary. Look at levels while you're recording, but unless you're recording in a superloud club standing right next to the bass speakers, or you're out on an airstrip recording jet engines, you should be OK.

Success at last!

Well, lest not get ahead of myself, I'm moving slow but I'm getting there. LOL! I've managed to achieve 1 of 3 tasks on my MD. First, and only thus far, have I mastered how to adjust levels via my CD and MD to transfer files of perfection. tongue.gif

At this rate, I may not need a preamp/battery box combo if my CASS can do what my CD did for me. Of course, one is analog and the other is digital, but I think I can manage it if my MD can handle the overload of heavy bass rollovers. Hmm?

It'll be interesting to hear the quality between my CD PLYR and my CASS PLYR. The former is top notch and the latter is not. My MD (I supsect) is somewhere in the middle. However, it's holding up pretty darn well. Now, to mark tracks. Ugh!

And, of course, my last task will be to record a Big Band via a MIC. I decided to hold off on that until I learned the basics. Hence, tasks 1 and 2. Regardless, I'm getting the swing of things and it's thanks to you all. Much appreciation really!

Mikio

p.s. I'll post as T2 and T3 become a reality. Ha ha wink.gif

If your cassettes were made from albums, with silences between songs, then go into REC SET until you find Sync Recording, and switch it to On. Tracks will automatically be inserted into the silences when you record. This happens automatically with Line-In anyway, so you may have some track marks on your recordings from cassettes already.

Tracks will automatically be inserted into the silences when you record.

You would think, right. Wrong. When I was transferring tracks from my CD to my MD, it only created tracks IF the silence was long enough to allow it to do so.

On the CD, tracks 1 and 2 were clearly separate. However, when there were transferred, tracks 1 and 2 were combined. Hence, my need to mark tracks.

Mikio

You're right, it does need a certain length of silence--2 seconds, I think.

Also, if you are transferring from cassette, there may be tape hiss and other sounds that your ears know how to tune out but the MD doesn't. But at least Sync will do some of the work for you.

A440,

I can say this much with assurance. It is VERY frustrating, sitting around, waiting on a track to end so I can mark it. I don't get it. I'm transferring tracks from a store bought CD. What gives?

Will I have to transfer these tracks to my PC? At least then I could place 2 second phases between tracks. But that of course is an added process. I wanted to eliminate that process with an MD.

Mikio

Your Sharp MD-MT821 is a six-year-old unit, and you're stuck recording to it in real time. Later MDs are NetMD or Hi-MD, both of which allow quick transfer of CD tracks to MD. In your situation, you might well be better off copying the CD's to the PC and having the PC play back with gaps between tracks that will be long enough for Sync Rec.

Or if you're planning to transfer a lot of CDs, you could get a NetMD or Hi-MD unit and very easily transfer them (with tracks already titled) using SimpleBurner.

A440,

Care to suggest a NetMD or Hi-MD in particular? If so, could you include your pros and cons on each unit? I'm aware there are online reviews but I don't know who's posting what. And quite frankly you haven't steered me wrong.

Mikio

Well, thanks. Short answer: get a first-generation Hi-MD, NH700, NHF800 or NH900.

If Sharp made a Hi-MD, it would probably eliminate the biggest pain about Sony MD recorders, which is that you can't make Manual Volume the default for recording. You always have to pause the unit and go through menus. But there are no Sharp Hi-MD recorders, and since Sharp seems to have stopped making MD recorders completely, I'm not betting there ever will be.

For me, Hi-MD makes NetMD and pre-NetMD obsolete. The ability to upload recordings and the capacity to make PCM recordings (even though I mostly use Hi-SP) is a huge advance in minidisc recording. For you, even NetMD would be an advance: that lets you download CDs onto MDs faster than realtime.

I bought a first-generation Hi-MD (NH) and see no reason to get the second (RH). The only change is (low-quality) mp3 playback, for which Sony removed the feature of being able to record via mic-in or line-in using old MD formats--the ones that would play on your Sharp. You can still, with SonicStage, make discs of downloaded material (from CDs, for instance), that would play on your Sharp at SP.

I haven't tried all the Hi-MDs. I'm happy with my NHF800 because it takes a regular AA battery (not a rechargeable gumstick, even though you could buy an extra and recharge it or use an outboard battery pack in other models). If you can find that or an NH700 (same thing minus the FM radio that I never use), grab it.

For live recording, I indulged myself and got the RM-MC40ELK, which has a backlighted display and is 80 percent of ideal for stealth recording. (It would be perfect if it could access REC SET menus and had a Record button--you still have to do that on the unit in Pause.)

Next choice is the NH-900, which has a gumstick battery and an outboard AA battery pack (bulkier), but also has some other good features like line-out. Look at the Browser on the www.minidisc.org homepage to compare features. As a copyist, you might like to play with pitch control, not available in 2d generation models.

The NH1 is pretty and thin but has too many Sony-only parts: its battery and its USB connector are both Sony-only, and to recharge it you have to have the cradle. You also have to use the remote for some functions, something else to carry around, break or lose.

If they're not available, then RH910 or, if you want what looks like a very nice display on the unit, RH10. Since I do stealth recording, I'd rather have the display on the remote.

I have owned so far: MZ-R900, metal case, pre-NetMD, and to my eye the best looking MD ever--except that the battery latch kept coming open in my pocket and needed to be taped shut. But with no fast transfer to MD via NetMD, it's not for you.

MZ-R700, a workhorse, nice big jog wheel. But also not NetMD.

MZ-N707. NetMD. actually my first MD and thus I'm quite fond of it. Lacked a Mic Sensitivity switch--always on High--which caused me to find the RS Headphone Volume Control attentuator method. Also can't change manual record level without pausing, another reason the attenuator was useful.

You can find NetMD's on eBay, and if all you want to do is download music onto MD and make recordings that stay on the MD, you can search them out. You might want to get N910 because I think that allows you to change the recording volume as you record. Or look at Sharp's NetMD's if you want to make live recordings that stay on the MD. (The only way to get them onto a computer is what you've been doing with CDs: realtime.)

• 1 month later...

You can simply connect your headphone jack out to your soundcard in (telling Sonar to find that input as ozpeter explained). Either way, optical out or headphone out, you simply use Sonar like a tape recorder, making a .wav recording in realtime.

A440,

Is there some sort of device that will allow me to convert my Optical/Line In jack so that it is compatible for transferring tracks to my computer? I've decided that I really like my MD, even as old as it is, so if you could figure a solution that would be grand. I have a vocal track I need to transfer asap. Thanks much!

Mikio

If you mean the optical/Line-in on the unit, line-in means it's going in to the MD. You need out, and the only out is the headphone jack.

Some old MD bookshelf units had optical out--look at the Browser tab on the www.minidisc.org homepage--but even if you can find one on Ebay it won't be ASAP. You would also need an optical input on your computer.

And even then, it's realtime recording.

But I'm going to be heretical here. The sound geeks all want digital recording: either optical in and out in real time, or digital uploading. If they're available, they're always preferable of course.

But for most uses, analog is good enough. Headphone out into your computer's line in, at the proper level, will give you a very good track unless you have a bad jack in your computer.

If you do have a jack that's staticky or sounds bad because it goes through a cheap soundcard, then get a Griffin iMic (which provides line-in and mic-in jacks with a USB connection) and record through that. Yes, it's analog, but it will sound fine.

But for most uses, analog is good enough. Headphone out into your computer's line in, at the proper level, will give you a very good track unless you have a bad jack in your computer.

If you do have a jack that's staticky or sounds bad because it goes through a cheap soundcard, then get a Griffin iMic (which provides line-in and mic-in jacks with a USB connection) and record through that. Yes, it's analog, but it will sound fine.

A440,

Thanks for a quick response. I've been on the road, sorry to get back with you on an overdue issue. Your kind beyond belief!

As for analog, no problem I don't mind it. I just need to get a vocal track into my computer asap. What app do I use to transfer it?

I have Sonar 4 but I'm not savvy with its application. If you would care to give me a quick 'how to' that would be just swell.

As for a soundcard, I have the EMU 0404 pro card. I don't think I'll have an issue with staticky jacks. I just need to get an adapter.

If my MD headphone jack is stereo, does that matter? I assume my EMU inputs are mono, seeing as I have two of them. Hmm?

Mikio

p.s. I'm grasping the process believe it or not. Thanks so much!

The trickiest thing may be getting a cord, but any decent electronics store should have one. You have two 1/4" inputs on your EMU, I'm assuming they are left and right channels. You'll need to get a cord that has a stereo miniplug (like your headphone plug) on one end and left and right 1/4" plugs on the other end--it may be called a Y cord for obvious reasons. If they're red and white, match the colors on plugs and jacks--Red is right channel.

Sonar has to know what it's recording: the line-in input from the EMU. Either Windows or the Sonar software will have a recording mixer.

If you go through Windows, use Start/Settings/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Audio/Sound Recording--Default Device should include Emu to select in a drop-down list. You can set volume by clicking Volume--set it at about 3/4 up just for starters. Sonar may access the Windows mixer or its own mixer--look in its help files to see about recording through Line-In.

If you have a Line-Out option on the Sharp--I don't know if it does--then switch to that. If not, turn off all EQ and set the playback volume to full.

You'll also have to set the input volume on the Sonar. A pro recording program like that should have obvious controls and good readable gauges. Play the track from the MD and watch the levels (you may have to Record) and set it so you get the maximum signal without the waveform flattening (peaking/overloading) on top.

Push Sonar's Record button, play back the track on the Sharp, watch the waveforms unfold, and Stop when you're done.

If Sonar is confusing, then download Audacity from Downloads here and use that, which has everything in obvious places.

The trickiest thing may be getting a cord, but any decent electronics store should have one. You have two 1/4" inputs on your EMU, I'm assuming they are left and right channels. You'll need to get a cord that has a stereo miniplug (like your headphone plug) on one end and left and right  1/4" plugs on the other end--it may be called a Y cord for obvious reasons. If they're red and white, match the colors on plugs and jacks--Red is right channel. 

A440,

Believe it or not I have a Y cable and adapter. Here's what I understand thusfar:

plug one end of 3.5 stereo cable into the MD headset stereo out

plug other end of 3.5 stereo cable into the 3.5-to-1/4" adapter

plug the 1/4" side of adapter into the Y 1/4" cable with mono-to-mono

plug one end of Y cable mono into the EMU 1040 right input (red)

plug other end of Y cable mono into the EMU 1040 left input (white)

Mikio

Sonar has to know what it's recording: the line-in input from the EMU. Either Windows or the Sonar software will have a recording mixer.

If you go through Windows, use Start/Settings/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Audio/Sound Recording--Default Device should include Emu to select in a drop-down list. You can set volume by clicking Volume--set it at about 3/4 up just for starters. Sonar may access the Windows mixer or its own mixer--look in its help files to see about recording through Line-In.

A440,

My pro soundcard EMU 1040 is already set as my default via Windows. I would prefer not import thru Sonar if at all possible. It seems a bit too complicated at this point. Besides I have Audacity ready to go. I'm just waiting on your OK in regards to my MD to PC setup.

Mikio

I think that should work.

Only thing to do is try it. Make sure that Audacity's own mixer is receiving from Line-In. You'll see immediately whether you're getting the recording or not.

Fingers crossed for you. If you have troubles, let's troubleshoot.

I think that should work.

Only thing to do is try it. Make sure that Audacity's own mixer is receiving from Line-In. You'll see immediately whether you're getting the recording or not.

Fingers crossed for you. If you have troubles, let's troubleshoot.

I see the mixer but it isn't highlighted so I can't compute the Line-In. Hmm?

Edited by mikio

The mixer has a speaker and slider (volume out), a mic and slider (volume in) and a drop-down list, probably reading Microphone. You may not need to change anything. Have you tried recording into it?

Also, just to make sure Audacity is working, try using Audacity to open a music file on your computer, any mp3, and see if it will play back.

The mixer has a speaker and slider (volume out), a mic and slider (volume in) and a drop-down list, probably reading Microphone. You may not need to change anything.  Have you tried recording into it?

Also, just to make sure Audacity is working, try using Audacity to open a music file on your computer, any mp3, and see if it will play back.

Audacity is working properly. I imported an MP3 as you suggested. It opened up immediately. It even did a conversion without prompting. Sweet!

BTW Audacity expects files to be imported from my HD. I think that might be the problem. My MD tracks have to be imported from the unit itself.

Hmm?

p.s. As far as the mixer goes? It works. When I imported the MP3 the wave tracks appeared. I was then able to click on them and gain access to the controls. Naturally that didn't work when I tried to import MD tracks. Duh!

I'm learning.

Slow but sure.

Mikio huh.gif

You're not importing. You're recording, exactly as if Audacity was a big ol' cassette recorder or MD recorder.

For editing existing files, Audacity looks on the HDD. For recording, it should look to wherever the Windows mixer is telling it to look: the Emu soundcard.

So let's try it:

Connect the MD to the Emu with the Y cable.

Start Audacity.

Click the big red Record button.

Start playing the track on the MD (at or near full volume) and see if it's recording. Adjust the incoming volume level if it's too high.

So  let's try it:

1. Connect the MD to the Emu with the Y cable.

2. Start Audacity.

3. Click the big red Record button.

4. Start playing the track on the MD (at or near full volume) and see if it's recording. Adjust the incoming volume level if it's too high.

here's outcome:

1. connect md to emu, OK!

2. start (open) audacity, OK!

3. click record button, OK!

4. start playing track from md, OK!

4. see if it's recording, NO!

mikio

p.s. per #1 instructions, connect Y cable mono-to-mono to emu soundcard, not the mixer ... correct? btw, i did troubleshoot by connecting Y cable to mixer but it didn't work either, same process ... hmm?

md spec link:

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sharp_MD-MT821.html

Edited by mikio

OK, it's got to be either a simple connection problem or the computer not picking up the soundcard input.

Let's do an experiment. Disconnect the Emu and connect the MD from headphone-out to whatever input you have on your computer: Mic-in (it has to have one) or Line-in (it may have one). Tell the Windows mixer (under Sounds and Audio devices) to make that the default for recording. See if you can get that through Audacity. See how the quality is, and if that's good enough. If the computer has decent connections, it might be all you need.

-----------

If it's staticky, etc., then it's back to the Emu. I wish I were at all familiar with the Emu.

I'm not sure I understand this mono-to-mono thing you mention.

You're plugging the minijack into headphone jack (which you've switched to line output), not the mic jack, right?

The adapter you mention: what is it? Does it take the two channels from the stereo miniplug and separate them as right and left channels? And then you're plugging the right and left 1/4" into the Emu?

And the Emu has been set as default not only for playback but for recording?

Also, about the Emu. Is it completely replacing your computer's built-in soundcard? Have you been able to use it for playback?

-----------

Alternately, what is the mixer you are referring to? Is it a separate outboard mixer? Have you been able to get sound from it into the computer? Can you send the output of the MD into the mixer and into the computer?

RE: Simple connection issue

Probably. No doubt I've done something stupid!

RE: PC and EMU input

PC picks up EMU input all the time. Not the problem!

RE: Disconnect EMU test

I'll do this later. Let's see if it's my connections!

RE: Mono-to-Mono thing

See pix of MD setup. Y cable has mono-to-mono 1/4"s!

RE: MD setup to EMU

3.5-to-3.5 stereo cable:

one 3.5 into MD headset stereo out

one 3.5 into adapter stereo 3.5 jack

---

adapter 3.5-to-1/4":

one 1/4" into Y cable stereo 1/4"

---

Y cable with mono-to-mono 1/4":

one 1/4" mono tip goes to EMU left 1/4" input (white)

one 1/4" mono tip goes to EMU right 1/4" input (red)

RE: Emu set to record

Yes, it's set as system default!

RE: Mixer

Behringer UB1202 and it works flawlessly with EMU! (That is until I tried to transfer MD tracks.)

RE: Built-in Audio

It worked great when I used it. EMU and UB1202 replaced it months ago!

RE: Recording via Emu

Not a problem in the past. Again, problem/conflict only arose due to MD situation!

RE: MD out to Mixer

It works. Mixer LED activity, yes. Speaker playback, yes. What's wrong?!?

That's rhetorical. I'm frustrated. I bet there's some software conflict. I've been installing applications left and right lately. That includes Audacity. Maybe one of them triggered a device shutdown. Or a conflict with one mixer trying to replace another. Who knows. But it does make sense, doesn't it?

Off to troubleshoot hardware while waiting on your response(s). Thanks again for hanging in there with me. I'm not giving up. I'm determined. Believe it or not I learn alot from my mistakes. Really! biggrin.gif

Mikio

post-8798-1122863819_thumb.jpg

If you can send from the mixer through the EMU to the PC, then how about sending the MD output through an input on the mixer?

And what were you recording from the EMU with? Can you go back to using that?

Generally, I like to put as few devices in a chain as possible. But if you had a chain that was working, I don't see why it shouldn't work with the MD as the source.

If you can send from the mixer through the EMU to the PC, then how about sending the MD output through an input on the mixer?

And what were you recording from the EMU with? Can you go back to using that?

Generally, I like to put as few devices in a chain as possible. But if you had a chain that was working, I don't see why it shouldn't work with the MD as the source.

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!

Via Control Panels/Sound & Audio Devices/Audio/Sound Recording/Volume an error appeared. It reads:

There is a problem with your software hardware. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers & Other Hardware, then click on Add Harware.

1. I don't have a Printer & Other Hardware folder.

2. I do have an Add Hardware folder.

3. I opened Add Hardware folder and followed prompts.

4. It's recommends that I use EMU CD to reinstall it.

5. I can't do that now. I'll get back with you.

Until then, can you tell me what this error REALLY means? Sound Playback and Voice Playback volume controls can still be deploded. And yes, EMU is the default.

Could this be a glitch? I never understood that term. Maybe I do now? tongue.gif I know I shouldn't be laughing but what else is there to do? We're getting SO close!

Mikio

p.s. Before MD conflict, I recorded to EMU via MIDI controller. I can still do that but I can't hear playback. Makes sense now.

Try their website, they might even have an updated driver.

http://www.emu.com/support/welcome.asp?centric=764

I FOUND THEM! I reinstalled EMU software and all is well in regards to recording from MIDI controller to Mixer to Sonar 4. Playback and visual track activity a-ok.

Now, as for the error reading, it's still there. I suspect due to MIDI having nothing to do with Voice & Sound recording. Playback however via mixer/speakers a-ok.

This makes NO SENSE to me! Any suggestions to what might be going on? In the meantime I'm going to see what other ways I can record into Sonar 4. MD last!

Mikio

p.s. After reinstalling EMU software, under Sound & Audio Devices, the volume was shut down automatically. I turned it up and when I restarted again, it was down again. I can't figure out why. Maybe that's part of the problem. Hmm?

Under Settings/Control Panel/System/Device Manage or in Sounds and Audio Devices under Hardware, what other audio controllers are installed? Something else must be seizing the volume control.

Do you need a lot of audio devices plugged in at once? You might be better off unplugging extra ones and perhaps even using Device Manager to Remove them from your system--they'll be detected again and reinstalled when you plug them back in. It's always a good idea to have the installation CDs on hand, of course.

A good way to find the problem is to add the devices one by one. As long as they're all in there, it's difficult to isolate what's going wrong.

Under Settings/Control Panel/System/Device Manager or in Sounds and Audio Devices under Hardware, what other audio controllers are installed? Something else must be seizing the volume control.

I agree. But I don't know what device is seizing volume. And now there are audio controllers I have never seen before. Here's the list:

CD-ROM pioneer ... DVD/CD Rom Drive

DVD-ROM pioneer ... DVD/CD Rom Drive

Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device ... Sound, Video and Game Contollers

C-Media Audio Device motherboard ... Sound, Video and Game Contollers

E-MU E-DSP soundcard ... Sound, Video and Game Contollers

Audio Codecs ... Sound, Video and Game Contollers

Legacy Audio Drivers ... Sound, Video and Game Contollers

Media Control Devices ... Sound, Video and Game Contollers

Legacy Video Capture Devices ... Sound, Video and Game Contollers

Video Codecs ... Sound, Video and Game Contollers

*Italized = items I can identify.

Do you need a lot of audio devices plugged in at once? You might be better off unplugging extra ones and perhaps even using Device Manager to Remove them from your system--they'll be detected again and reinstalled when you plug them back in. It's always a good idea to have the installation CDs on hand, of course.

All that's plugged into my motherboard is a modem, graphic card, and soundcard, that's it. All those other Devices listed above under Hardware/Sound and Game Controllers are news to me.

I've never had a problem with audio issues until a few days ago, as you know. I'm sure the conflict is due to converter/audio applications I've installed recently to assist in MD transfers. I hope.

Either way, I've removed these applications. But you know their folders are still in the Program Files on my HD, shouldn't they be completely removed? I don't get it. Could you explain How To.

Mikio

sad.gif

Ok, so here's the million dollar question.  Is there an ideal setup for what I want without having to upgrade every other month as technology advances?  Let's face it, I'm of the mindset that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I'd like 1 setup for a while.

Mikio,

I agree with with A400, Go with the Core Sound Binaurals. I bought mine with a battery pack that included a bass roll off filter about 4 years ago and they have never let me down. I have experimented with other mics, preamps, including everything mentioned on this thread and nothing beats the Core Sound mics for richness of sound and clarity. The set-up I use is a bit more than you might want to deal with at first, but really it gets down to finding a bag, satchel, purse, whatever with enough pockets and such to conveniently carry and hold in place all of the gear you need.

I have found several that work at thrift stores and yard sales. I like a bag with a padded pocket for the md; a separate pocket allongside to accomodate the battery pack/bass roll-off filter; with a somewhat rounded shape and conveniently placed folds, tabs, pockets on opposing sides of the bag that I can clip the Core Sound Binaurals to with somewhere between 10 to 18 inches of separation between them.

md ~~~~ battery case/roll-off filter ~~~~~cable that Ys to mics clipped to opposing sides of the bag.

It helps to have a bag that can carry AC adapter for the md for those choice occasions when you can plug in to a wall outlet, extra mds, extra batteries etc.

I have tried many other mics, battery boxes, preamps (both the boost box and the church audio). I finally realised that it's all in the mics. Everybody talks a good game, but Len Moskovitz at Core Sound is truly a pro. He uses less sensitive omnidirectional elements (-65 db) than most of the other manufacturers (-35 to -45 db typically) with excellent signal to noise ratio that he claims he modifies them in some way to reduce the phase shifting that you can sometimes get with binaural mics. I don't know as much as I would like about the technical side of what's happening, but I can't argue with the results. Crystal clear, rich, full, balanced sound that sets my live recordings head and shoulders above everyone else's at the venue, every single time.

The web address is:

http://www.core-sound.com/mics.html

The educational info he puts out there is worth the visit even if you end up going with another option.

Good luck!

Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device ... Sound, Video and Game Contollers

Audio Codecs ... Sound, Video and Game Contollers

Legacy Audio Drivers ... Sound, Video and Game Contollers

Media Control Devices ... Sound, Video and Game Contollers

Legacy Video Capture Devices ... Sound, Video and Game Contollers

Video Codecs ... Sound, Video and Game Contollers

*Italized = items I can identify.

No idea what Unimodem is, though it could be your original soundcard. Look under Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and see if you can find some clues under Properties, like when it was installed, etc. The remaining items should have subfolders. Audio and Video Codecs tell your computer how to play back various kinds of files, like mp3s, .avis, wma., .mov, etc. I don't thik Legacy Video Capture is relevant here.

Is there anything in a subfolder under Media Control Devices? What?

OK, this is if you want to get truly geeky and is strictly at your own risk.

If you have been using SonicStage and have built up a library, then go into SonicStage and use the Backup Tool to burn your library to CD or DVD. Should you have to go back to the restore point, you might need the burned backup to restore My Library .

If Unimodem is your built-in soundcard, then leave it or:

If you're feeling brave and you have WinXP, set a Restore point (Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore) and then go into Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and Remove the Unimodem from your system. If it's not some plug-in device then it should detect it again on rebooting. If it was some plug-in device that you're not using, you didn't need it in the system.

I have tried many other mics, battery boxes, preamps (both the boost box and the church audio).  I finally realised that it's all in the mics.  Everybody talks a good game, but Len Moskovitz at Core Sound is truly a pro.  He uses less sensitive omnidirectional elements (-65 db) than most of the other manufacturers (-35 to -45 db typically) with excellent signal to noise ratio that he claims he modifies them in some way to reduce the phase shifting that you can sometimes get with binaural mics.  I don't know as much as I would like about the technical side of what's happening, but I can't argue with the results.  Crystal clear, rich, full, balanced sound that sets my live recordings head and shoulders above everyone else's at the venue, every single time. 

The source follower mod together with a battery module is a gift from heaven, especially when it comes to recording loud music. Without it, most microphones tend to distort at moderate SPLs and are way too sensitive to be useful in a wide range. With it, i can use the microphone input for everything but very loud music without any noticable preamp or microphone overload. Thank you, Siegfried.

No idea what Unimodem is, though it could be your original soundcard.

No, unimodem belongs to my modem.

Is there anything in a subfolder under Media Control Devices? What?

Yes, there are several subfolders.

3.5 Floppy (B:) ... external floppy drive

CF1/CF2 (G:) ... external card reader

MS (J:) ... ?

Removable Disk (K:) ... ?

Removable Disk (L:) ... ?

SD/MMC (I:) ... ?

SMC (H:) ... ?

Subfolder choices when I right click.

Open

Browse with Paint Shop Pro

Explore

Open with Ulead Photo Explorer

If you have been using SonicStage and have built up a library, then go into SonicStage and use the Backup Tool to burn your library to CD or DVD.

I don't have SonicStage, that's why I downloaded Audacity.

Mikio

Edited by mikio

It looks like you have a whole lot of things hooked up to the computer. Are all those external drives simultaneously in use? Can you disconnect them?

None of them immediately look like devices that would be seizing the audio. What audio players do you have installed? Windows Media Player? Realplayer? Winamp? Some other jukebox program?

It looks like you have a whole lot of things hooked up to the computer.

No, I just have a zip, floppy, and card reader connected.

Are all those external drives simultaneously in use?

They're connected but only in use when I need them. (rarely)

Can you disconnect them?

Yes, but I don't see how those components matter any.

None of them immediately look like devices that would be seizing the audio.

They couldn't possibly be, the reader I've only used but once.

What audio players do you have installed? Windows Media Player? Realplayer? Winamp?  Some other jukebox program?

Only iTunes as far as I know. What is a jukebox?

a jukebox program is one like those listed that aims to be the media centre on the pc. they are usually fairly bloated programs that can rip/burn & catagorise music. sonicstage is also considerred a jukebox prog.