Sony DS-HMD1 Pictorial-Review

Rate this topic

Today, I went Yodobashi in Kawasaki city and bought the DS-HMD1. It looks pretty strong, but feels very light and is made in Malaysia. It is somewhat larger than a portable Hi-MD recorder. I think that this Data storage idea was a good one, but that it has not been advertised very well here. I work in a public school here and I know that many teachers still use MO media and Floopy disk. Both the HI-MD media and the Hi-MD drives are much smaller and allow for much more storage on the media than MO or Floopy Disk. I hope MD will catch on with more public school teachers, after all they are the ones who keep Floopy disk and MO alive and strong.

Well, I have posted a few pics to this mail of the DS-HMD1.

PICT0001.JPG

post-6144-1116654756_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1116654777_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1116654791_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1116654805_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1116654822_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1116654838_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1116654853_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1116654869_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1116654887_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1116683385_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1116683404_thumb.jpg

post-6144-1116683436_thumb.jpg

I see it comes with sonicstage so Sony are hoping to convert some people to HiMD/ATRAC rather than just using it as data storage. How much did you pay, about the same as an NH600 would cost? I think it's a good idea to try and build popularity by making it a data storage as well as music format; it builds on one of the other great benefits of HiMD. It's a shame the transfer is just so slow.

Dear Mikami,

Thanks very much for the photos. I really wish I had a Yodobashi Camera near where I live (at least I can only look at their webpage).

I wonder if you can clarify some matters about your HMD1:

1. You have not shown the unit in an opened state. Am I correct in saying that the unit opens like a regular Sony MD? Do you have any comments on its loading and unloading?

2. I can't see what is written on the dark button on the top of the HMD1, near the ACCESS light. Can you tell us what it says and and what it is for. Thanks!

3. Is the top surface a similar metalic surface to the NH1?

Anyway, thanks for the trouble to share these pictures. Its a big help! biggrin.gif

What's the perfomance like in comparison with whatever other portable storage you have to compare with?  I mean in terms of transfer speed either way?

Well, its' speed is USB 1.1 which in terms of speed does not compare well with some other USB storage devices that are soild state. But, it compares well agaisnt the MOs and and floopy disk that are often used in Japanese public schools over CD-R/RW and DVDR. Price is far more important than speed when you are given a small buget from the school district for supplies. This is why MO is so popular even, now. So, a school setting being able to have cheap re-usable media to hold data, that you do not mind letting others borrow, or to present reports and documents in a tangable non-paper form is very important. The small USB soild state devices are just too expensive to let others have or borrow, but MiniDisc is just right for the job.

Topaz,

1. Yes, you are correct the unit opens just like a normal Sony MD player

2. The black button next to the access LCD light says "Release". And when the access light is on, if you push the "release button" the LCD light turns off and it is then safe to eject the MD media or to un-plug the the USB from the computer.

3. Well, I like the feel of the MZ-NH1 better, but this unit feels like it could be aluminum or some alloy HOWEVER, I think it is PLASTIC because it is so light and magnets will not stick to the shell of this drive like they would to the shell of the MZ-NH1.Also, inside the DS-HMD1 there is a Plastic layer althought the componets are mostly metal. So, the MZ-NH1 is probably more scratch resistance and much stronger because it is made of a cool metal and it looks like it has groves.

I hope that helps,

Mikami

P.S.

(but a magnet will stick on the black bar on the side of the drive that say's "portable Hi-mD drive DS-HMD1" but not on on the black bar that has the USB plug or on the rest of the body of this unit)

Edited by Mikami

Thanks Mikami for the pics.

What interests me is the seek times, especially when copying small files.

Faster than your NH1 or the same?

All and all the seek times seem about the same to me. It might be faster(to start up), but I really think that the NH1 and this new unit seem to run about the same speed. My NH1 makes a certaint sound when burning, than this new unit does not or at least this new unit has a different sound. As for recording times.

9 sec from SonicStage to Hi-md for decent quality(in truth most files take about that long from the time you hear the unit start up) And somewhat less than 8 sec from lower quality. For PCM or WAV it takes a little longer even up to 14 sec for one of my files. However, if you are burning more than one file at a time like a normal 75 mintue CD or 60 mintue CD the times can be cut alittle. But I have only just started playing with it.

regards,

Mikami

Edited by Mikami

Question:

I see SonicStage 3.1 is supplied.... So can the HMD1 transfer native-mp3's to a Hi-MD disc so that they can be used with second-generation Hi-MD walkmans? (e.g. my NH700 can't)

Yes, Sonicstage 3.1 can transfer native-mp3 files to a Hi-MD but it will only play from the the HmD1 unit or from a 2nd generation unit. And it also claims to be able to burn an Mp3 CD as well. I have not tryied that, yet.

Yes, Sonicstage 3.1 can transfer native-mp3 files to a Hi-MD but it will only play from the the HmD1 unit or from a 2nd generation unit. And it also claims to be able to burn an Mp3 CD as well. I have not tryied that, yet.

That is not totally true. When I connect my NH700 to a PC with SonicStage 3.1 mp3's cannot be transfered to the NH700 without conversion. When I connect a RH10 however (to the same PC with SS 3.1) transfering mp3's right away is possible, so my question is still unanswered..... is the HMD1 a "NH700-like" or "RH10-like" unit.

So transfering mp3's right away is dependant of the unit not of the software. Only a unit that can play mp3's natively let's you put them on a disc, otherwise mp3's are automatically converted before transfer.

so my question is still unanswered..... is the HMD1 a "NH700-like" or "RH10-like" unit.

Okay, I will give it one more try:

1. The HMD1 can transfer Mp3s without converting them.

2. So, there is no need to convert Mp3 to transfer it to Hi-mD media when using the HMD1.

3. One has the ability to transfer a native formate natively to Hi-mD media when using the HMD1.

4. But the HMD1 is not a portable player: it is a Data storage drive. So, the HHMD1 is not like the NH700 or the RH10.

regards,

Mikami

Will this unit be able to do NetMD, ie the older generation for compatability of MDLP bookshelf+car stereo's etc?

According to the manual;

in normal MDmode(formate) It can trasfer: stereo ATRAC/292Kbps, Atrac3/132, 105kbps, and Atrac3/66kbps to a 60/74/80 minute MiniDisc.

Regards,

Mikami

Edited by Mikami

Okay, I will give it one more try:

1. The HMD1 can transfer Mp3s without converting them.

2. So, there is no need to convert Mp3 to transfer it to Hi-mD media when using the HMD1.

3. One has the ability to transfer a native formate natively to Hi-mD media when using the HMD1.

4. But the HMD1 is not a portable player: it is a Data storage drive. So, the HHMD1 is not like the NH700 or the RH10.

regards,

Mikami

I know it cannot play back Hi-MD discs but it is nice to know it can prepare Hi-MD discs with mp3's for the second generation Hi-MD's. It would have been a huge disappointment if the HMD1 was based on a first-generation Hi-MD and would be unable to transfer mp3's right away (only ATRAC3(plus) & PCM). But nice to know it can!

Now my last question is answered I have another one:

What does "PIT-I......" and the logo mean on the front of the manual (right corner)?

user posted image

Oh, and another one.... does it work with the MCMD-R1 Hi-MD cardreader to create a standalone flash-card copy machine?

Now my last question is answered I have another one:

What does "PIT-I......" and the logo mean on the front of the manual (right corner)?

user posted image

Oh, and another one.... does it work with the MCMD-R1 Hi-MD cardreader to create a standalone flash-card copy machine?

1a. "Pit-in" is the name that Sony chose to call the DS-HM1 and maybe the models that might follow it. Therefore, I think it is really the name of a line of machines. The Logo(the arrow) most likely means "in". The "n" in "Pit-in" was cut off in the picture.

1b. The phrase "pit-in" as found in the 2nd edition of Sanseido's Consise Katakana Dictionary means: a place for cars to stop in a race for gas, to gear up, or a place to stop for repairs. The katakana word "Pit" in Japanese can also be used of a place where boats stop in a race. Basically the same meaning as "Pit-stop" in English. I am guessing Sony's meaning is that the "pit in" is place to dock your Hi-MD and load it up for the road. It is just cool to borrow words and then use them in Japanese language.

2. The DS-HM1(Pit-in) manual says nothing about using the MCMD-R1 with it.

I think you really have to have a computer with Windows to operate it. And I think that is the way Sony likes it.

If the MCMD-R1 has a USB socket on it, then you could hook the DS-HM1 to it, but that does not mean it would work. I am sure someone with enough motivation and time on their hands might be able to make the MCM-R1 work with it.

Regards,

Mikami

Edited by Mikami

Does it require a particular usb-cable or will any usb-cable work?  In other words do I have to take the cable with me also between home and work or can I use a generic cable already at work?

Any USB-Cable will work. The wire looks a little different, but the plugs are of the generic USB family. So, yes it will and does work with any USB wires.

regards,

Mikami

According to the manual;

in normal MDmode(formate) It can trasfer: stereo ATRAC/292Kbps, Atrac3/132, 205kbps, and Atrac3/66kbps to a 60/74/80 minute MiniDisc.

I'm sorry...? You mean to say that this baby can do REAL-SP transfers? And since when was there a 205kbps ATRAC3...? Surely you mean 105kbps?

1a.  "Pit-in" is the name that Sony chose to call the DS-HM1 and maybe the models that might follow it. Therefore, I think it is really the name of a line of machines. The Logo(the arrow) most likely means "in". The "n" in "Pit-in" was cut off in the picture.

1b. The phrase "pit-in" as found in the 2nd edition of Sanseido's Consise Katakana Dictionary means: a place for cars to stop in a race for gas, to gear up, or a place to stop for repairs. The katakana word "Pit" in Japanese can also be used of a place where boats stop in a race. Basically the same meaning as "Pit-stop" in English. I am guessing Sony's meaning is that the "pit in" is place to dock your Hi-MD and load it up for the road. It is just cool to borrow words and then use them in Japanese language.

2. The DS-HM1(Pit-in) manual says nothing about using the MCMD-R1 with it.

I think you really have to have a computer with Windows to operate it. And I think that is the way Sony likes it.

If the MCMD-R1 has a USB socket on it, then you could hook the DS-HM1 to it, but that does not mean it would work. I am sure someone with enough motivation and time on their hands might be able to make the MCM-R1 work with it.

Regards,

Mikami

About 2: my NH700's manual also does not say anything about the cardreader. Furthermore the MCMD-R1 takes over the controls when connected to a Hi-MD so probably it will work because the HMD1 looks like a "stripped" Hi-MD-walkman. The only way to know for sure is someone who can test it in real life.

Are we sure it's actual transfer and not Fake SP rebadged to pass 292 Kb per sec? Or that it doesn't refer to real time recording?

And how much do these babies cost?

My writting is not the best, but I am going to try to write as clearly as I can with the little I know about my new Data Drive. So here is my two cents or my try to answer you questions(If it is not clear then please ask me again):

(1.) They cost about 140 USD, and actually 15,000Yen but some places have it for 14,799 and Amazom.co.jp has it for 16,092 yen. So, the price is somewhat subjected to change.

‘(2a) Yes, I have tried burning “true SP” from WAV files of Orange Range’s 1st contact CD. It is slow but not as slow as real time recording. For a 2.55 minute song it took about a minute and 27 secs and it claims 292kbs. When viewing the music file from Simple burner it also showed up as 292kbs. It sounds pretty good to me, but wither it is true or fake I am not able to tell.

(2b.) there are only three ways to transfer music files using this Portable Hi-MD Drive DS-HMD1. (1)The drag and drop way is only data and thus will not play on a player. And the other ways are (2) Sonic Stage and (3) Simple burner.

The transfer option that you are allowed depend upon the mode the drive is in. Wither it is in NET mode or Hi-MD mode.

(1)Inserting a normal Minidisk will cause theDS-HMD1drive (under Simple burner) to register as a NET MD, only.

(2)With Simple burner (with a normal MD in the DS-HMD1) you are only allowed to transfer LP2 and LP4. However, with a Hi-MD in the drive “my” Simple burner will not even allow me access to the Hi-MD in fact it will not even sow the Hi-MD as registered(It might just be a problem with my machine).

(3)In Sonic Stage 3.1 one is allowed access to both their Hi-MD and their normal MD with their DS-HMD1. But, the options (bit rates) for transferring file types given for each NET mode and Hi-MD are different and there are slightly different bit rate transfer menus.

(4)IN Sonic Stage 3.1 with the DS-HMD1+Hi-MD, 256Kbps is the highest bit rate of the atract codec allowed (WAV/PCM is also allowed).

(5)In Sonic Stage 3.1 with the DS-HMD1+normal MD the (S) option will transfer the file the same as imported into Sonic stage or recorded in Sonic stage. (D) Option is only Lp2 and Lp4 and the © option given claims it is “Stereo” SP and will play on both MDLP and non-MDLP units.

(6)It may also be possible to import true Sp into SS and then download it with the (S) option in NET mode.

I hope that is clear, if not then please tell me,

Mikami

sounds excellent mikami, thanks for the pics & detailed info.

so it does real SP via SS. big thing, the first net/himd fully backward compatible even back to the beginning.

sounds excellent mikami, thanks for the pics & detailed info.

so it does real SP via SS. big thing, the first net/himd fully backward compatible even back to the beginning.

No, problem it was fun. You guys have made me think a lot more.

Now, I have a question and it might be a strange one.

Is there anyway I could checkout/analyze the bit rates of files that have been down loaded and burned with the DS-HMD1 without use of SonicStage/Simpleburner?

So far now my 'bit rate' information has been dependent on:

(1)SonicStage 3.1

(2)Simple burner 2.0

But, is there any other softwear that would allow be to access or view the bit rates?

regards,

Mikami

Mostly clear. But it sounds to me that the SP that unit gets is actually the Fake type. Why would SS allow true SP for this unit, and not the rest? I mean, SS wll record in Stereo/Fake SP mode for other units, so probably that's what it is with this one. It might be 292 KBPS all right, but it has been upconverted from LP2.

Thanks for your information. Most useful

Unless evidence is provided to the contrary, I'm inclined to agree with Syrius on this one.

Mikami, is the interface in SonicStage for transferring music any different from a traditional Hi-MD?

do us a favour zero, or anyone else, click on a trueSP encoded track in simple burner & tell us what the bitrate says. this'll either muddy or clear the waters.

i'm currently sans-recorder

• 1 month later...

What about the DRM side of this unit? Does it still only allow a single upload of any self-made analogue recordings, whether entirely successful or not?

If the answer to this is "no", then I'm DEFINITELY buying me one of these!!! That and I'll still patiently wait for a component deck with an S/PDIF out of either variety. rolleyes.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I registered with this forum just to get an answer to a simple question: is it possible to drag and drop or copy and paste (simple transfer no software involved) music files from regular (not hi-MD) minidisc media to a computer hard drive using this USB MD drive? I have a big collection of music on minidiscs from the 90s and I've been trying to find a device that would do just that but no luck. I was going to do a digital recording transfer via optical in real time using my sound card but my God that's like really a lot of time needed to do that. Also if this simple copy/paste transfer is possible I assume that those files are going to be in that Sony special format? Will it be possible to convert those files to MP3 for playback and further transfer? Thank you very much for the info.

Edited by azovsky