Sony MDS-JB980 - Device Not Recognised Issue

Rate this topic

Mr_Bass_Man

All,

I recently acquired a JB-980 deck on EBay with all accessories, but no software CD.

I have software CDs for my other NetMD units, MZ-N10 and MZ-N510. (I have only ever used the MZ-N10 with my computer, the other is the machine I use in my car ...)

Basically I am unable to get my PC (I have tried it on two) to recognise any of the drivers on either of my discs as the right one for the JB-980.

I have tried a number of things :- Removing all previous NetMD software (Sonic Stage etc, deleting registry entries, etc) but I always end up with the problem of my PC recognising "new hardware" but being unable to locate an appropriate driver for it.

I have tried the latest version of Sonic Stage (3.1) and the Sony drivers application from their web site, but without success.

I would have thought the "standard NetMD drivers" would have worked OK, but they don't.

Anyone think of anything I haven't tried.

I get identical results on a Windows XP Pro machine, and a Win98SE machine.

Always I can get my MZ-N10 working again as a NetMD device without any difficulty (thank goodness!)

Regards

Martin

Does the JB980 appear in the Device manager? (Control panel --> System)

If not, check/replace cable.

If still not, the USB-interface in the recorder is dead --> Off to Sony Service.

Which drivers did you install? These?

( Install *BEFORE* connecting the recorder. )

Yes the deck appears as "Net MD" in the Device Manager, but with the dreaded yellow "?". It is in "Other Devices".

I am 95% certain that the cable is OK.

The drivers I installed (apart from the bundled ones with Sonic Stage) are indeed the ones in your link.

It appears that the system is looking for a _different_ driver to the ones I have.

If it isn't a straight hardware problem with the deck (difficult to prove or disprove) I have a sneaking suspicion that something in the registry is screwed up.

Having used the computer with other NetMD devices before may have confused matters.

Does anyone know if the software supplied with the JB980 is "special" in any way, as all I have used is the stuff which came with my portables, plus the stuff off the Sony site.

The JB980 doesn't seem to exist as far as the "Support" part of the Sony site is concerned.

Thanks for reading ...

Where are you located? If we could locate the part number for your unit's software CD-ROM – there's a possibility for you to acquire it direct from your local Sony DAPC.

*Edit: I was just reading the user manual of the MDS-JB980 and realized that the software CDROM included with the unit is not SonicStage but the older OpenMG Jukebox CDROM. Perhaps, this is why your system did not recognize the JB980 properly. (since the NetMD drivers present in your system was derived from the SonicStage CDROM.)

I am sure you can attain the JB980's drivers from any OpenMG Jukebox CDROM. I will try and locate my copy of OpenMG Jukebox and extract the NetMD drivers for you.

*Update: Please try the NetMD drivers I've extracted from the OpenMG Jukebox CDROM, which was supposed to come, bundled with the MDS-JB980. I hope this will resolve your dilemma.

*attachment removed - uploaded to download section of the forum --> click here.

Edited by Ishiyoshi

Where are you located? If we could locate the part number for your unit's software CD-ROM – there's a possibility for you to acquire it direct from your local Sony DAPC.

*Edit: I was just reading the user manual of the MDS-JB980 and realized that the software CDROM included with the unit is not SonicStage but the older OpenMG Jukebox CDROM. Perhaps, this is why your system did not recognize the JB980 properly. (since the NetMD drivers present in your system was derived from the SonicStage CDROM.)

I am sure you can attain the JB980's drivers from any OpenMG Jukebox CDROM. I will try and locate my copy of OpenMG Jukebox and extract the NetMD drivers for you.

*Update: Please try the NetMD drivers I've extracted from the OpenMG Jukebox CDROM, which was supposed to come, bundled with the MDS-JB980. I hope this will resolve your dilemma.

Thank You ! ! ! biggrin.gif

You are right- the installer recognised the driver straight away, and I am now working fine!

It seems that Sony forgot to include the deck on their later software release?

I am in England, btw, and very happy!

Thanks again

Martin (Mr_Bass_Man)

Thank You ! ! !  biggrin.gif

You are right- the installer recognised the driver straight away, and I am now working fine!

It seems that Sony forgot to include the deck on their later software release?

I am in England, btw, and very happy!

Thanks again

Martin (Mr_Bass_Man)

Most brilliant! I am pleased that it worked out for you. Happy MD and enjoy your stay here. wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Most brilliant! I am pleased that it worked out for you. Happy MD and enjoy your stay here.  wink.gif

Excellent piece of gear -- BTW if you use the Optical OUT into a DVD players's optical in and then Optical OUT the DVD player into a HI-MD or other MD unit's OPtical In you bypass SCMS (although real time recording).

Even better I just plug the optical out of this unit into the Optical In of an AUDIGY 2 ZS PC soundcard on my Laptop and use the creative software to record a WAV file that I can do anything I want with. (Again real time but no big deal).

Don't bother with the older Open Jukebox software that came with the unit's CD disk. As you've discovered the hardware drivers will work fine.

For transferring TO MD from the computer I use SS with a HI-MD unit and transfer in LP2 to a MD which I then play on the unit. Disks play fine on the unit -- can't really say if there is much if any difference between genuine old SP mode and LP2 --at least not on the speakers and cans I'm using.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent piece of gear -- BTW if you use the Optical OUT into a DVD players's optical in and then Optical OUT the DVD player into a HI-MD or other MD unit's OPtical In you bypass SCMS (although real time recording).

Even better I just plug the optical out of this unit into the Optical In of an AUDIGY 2 ZS PC soundcard on my Laptop and use the creative software to record a WAV file that I can do anything I want with. (Again real time but no big deal).

Don't bother with the older Open Jukebox software that came with the unit's CD disk. As you've discovered the hardware drivers will work fine.

For transferring TO MD from the computer I use SS with a HI-MD unit and transfer in LP2 to a MD which I then play on the unit. Disks play fine on the unit -- can't really say if there is much if any difference between genuine old SP mode and LP2 --at least not on the speakers and cans I'm using.

Cheers

-K

Interesting ...

One of these lifetimes I will get round to trying the ruse with the DVD optical connections!

I haven't worked out why you transfer via your HiMD unit, maybe I have missed something there?

I must say the versatility of the 980 suits my setup perfectly (see the pic of my "stack" in the gallery). Presently the optical in goes to the CAV-U5 which lurks at the back and can produce digital sound from my PC, although I don't use it often, but occasionally I will record something streamed from the internet onto MD. The coax in is connected normally to the DAB tuner (let's not get into a "DAB vs FM quality" argument! and the Technics CD player has a coax output available too, if required.

The analogue line in is connected to the record output of the amp, which has a nice array of inputs.

The MZ-N10 and the JB980 both connect via the USB to the PC which although it is only an old Gateway Pentium II runing WinXP, all co-exist very nicely.

I have recently picked up a Hi-MD unit (NH900) which also happily co-exists with the other MD units on the USB bus - all on a S-L-O-W computer AND a USB hub!

I am well pleased with the whole lot.

FM is noticeably better than DAB, btw - the comparison is rather like MP3 128K vs ATRAC3 - no contest! biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

my 780 is not finding the drivers.

i`ve told it to search in the folder i downlaoded from here but it still will not find the drivers....

Upon download of the zip file I have provided in the preceding posts, unzip and run the setup.exe. The required drivers should be present and your system should recognize the MDS-JB980 accordingly. If your problem still persists, drop Mr_Bass_Man a pm.

• 3 years later...

Upon download of the zip file I have provided in the preceding posts, unzip and run the setup.exe. The required drivers should be present and your system should recognize the MDS-JB980 accordingly. If your problem still persists, drop Mr_Bass_Man a pm.

Thanks Ishyoshi !

I had the same problem and your solution worked perfectly !