Please A Hi-md Car Radio

Rate this topic

1kyle

Please Sony can you bring out a Hi-MD car Radio -- especially since the new MD units won't record in SP/LP2/LP4 (MDLP) formats any more.

I have an aging Kenwood KMR radio which will play MDLP minidiscs --- and from Jan 2005 Kenwood have ceased making any more minidisc products so when it's broken it's gone.

Here's the message from Kenwood.

http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/minidisc.asp

Considering that at Hi-MD mode on a 1GB disc will give around 7 hours of playing time it seems a much better solution than having to fiddle around with bulky CD's and a changer in the boot of a car. 2 or 3 of these discs are equivalent to 14-20 CD's -- try carrying those around !!! wheras 2 or 3 MD's will slip into a pocket quite easily.

So why on earth have SONY not produced a car radio yet with this capacity --- yet nearly everybody is still making CD changers for cars.

Even finding a radio with a front Audio / Line in is next to impossible.

I can imagine myself going back to a "cassette"radio (whats a cassette!!) and using the Cassette adapter as it has a line in.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

Guest hair old

Sadly, what we are all hearing is the "death knell"...

I too would LOVE a car Hi-MD player, a HOME Hi-MD player (or ANY serious home MD equipment), or ANY professional MD equipment. Unfortunately, Sony has abandoned all three markets.

The fact that new players don't even support plain old MDLP is proof enough...combined with Sony's own direct blatant "hint" on the front of new blank 80 min standard MD packages: "for walkman use". That means they ain't makin' nothin' else to use them in.

MD is apparently going to be kept a portable format with extreme limitations imposed by Sony...until they finally kill it.

Betamax -> Video 8 -> Memory Stick -> MD Data -> MD View -> CD Mavica -> MINIDISC

Sadly, I'm crying again.

Please Sony can you bring out a Hi-MD car Radio -- especially since the new MD units won't record in SP/LP2/LP4 (MDLP) formats any more.

I would also be all over that. I recently purchased a new head unit for my truck (just something cheap to replace the factory AM/FM unit) and briefly considered this model. It's not MiniDisc, but it would provide some capatibility with SonicStage.

I ended up buying a unit with aux input and plugging my MD unit into it.

Michael