Sony Insider Forums
J.u.n.k.e.r.

What are you listening to right now?

Rate this question

Question

We talk about our gear and how to use it correctly, but what do we listen to with our gear?

I'll start us out. I've been listening to a custom mix made for me by a guy at the TBoard. Here's the tracklist.

Super Chicks (title)

01. eye - madvillian feat. stacey epps

02. moon dreams - airto/flora purim

03. ya ma le - gimmicks

04. all that we percieve - thievery corporation feat. pam bricker

05. african challenge - zoot simms

06. why i came to california - leon ware

07. theme de yoyo - art ensemble of chicago w/fontella bass

08. oh bondage, up yours! - x-ray spex

09. philosophy of the world - the shaggs

10. hello stranger - the carter family

11. your love is mine - holly golightly

12. lets live for the present - continental coets

13. lets take a walk on the moon - lucia pamela

14. monkey goes to the moon - christine shields

15. untitled - madlib

16. bialero - sonny & linda sharrock

17. upside down - fela anikulapo kuti+the africa 70 w/sandra akanka isidore

18. outer spaceways inc. - sun ra w/june tyson

19. we travel the spaceways(seg.) - sun ra

So what's in your MD?

2,095 answers to this question

Pestilence - consuming impulse

Asphyx - the rack

Thanatos - emerging from the netherworlds

Hail Of Bullets - of frost and war

misfits - boxset

DRI - dirty rotten EP

DRI - full speed ahead

Exploited - beat the bastards

Malevolent Creation - fine art of murder

I usually format 80min discs in hi-md mode.

I also always have each disc with a different band labeled on it and stuff the disc with as many albums by the band that I can.

I am listening to my own live recording of Leonard Cohen's first concert at the Olympia, in Paris. I was 13. The concert was transmitted by the French radio Europe 1 in a show called "Campus spécial", presented by Michel Lancelot. I recorded it on cassette with a microphone placed in front of my receiver, the 12th of May 1970. Leonard sings a rare song in Yiddish or Hebrew: "Un As der Rebbe Singt".

See http://www.leonardcohenlive.com/concerts/s.../1970-05-12.htm

Just found a group while I was listening to Ultravox and Midge Ure, group is called X-Perience, and Midge did a song with them on their latest album, song is Personal Heaven, But I digress, right now I'm listening to Magic Fields, nice stuff

Bob

I am listening to my own live recording of Leonard Cohen's first concert at the Olympia, in Paris. I was 13. The concert was transmitted by the French radio Europe 1 in a show called "Campus spécial", presented by Michel Lancelot. I recorded it on cassette with a microphone placed in front of my receiver, the 12th of May 1970. Leonard sings a rare song in Yiddish or Hebrew: "Un As der Rebbe Singt".

See http://www.leonardcohenlive.com/concerts/s.../1970-05-12.htm

Funny , at the bottom of the listing it says " No Known Recording "

as you sit and listen to yours ................. Transfer it to MD before the Tape fades . :o

((oh - i (rayzray) am working on my "Secret" project - yeah - forgot about it - i am taking FIVE songs from Rick Wakeman's Concert in Havana Cuba and taking out ALL the vocal and leaving in ALL the instrumentals - it is AWESOME !!!!

i rearranged the songs and put the drum solo at the end - cause i think it was useless in the concert - unless Rick had to go to the bathroom -

footnote#1 - yes - it's awesome and i am awesome - too bad no one knows it except my mirror !!

footnote#2 as requested by bobt -

late edit and footnote#3 - i just burned the final CD's - i named the songs -

1- song 1 (6:39) nonstop into

2- song 3 (3:44) nonstop into

3- song- 4 (4:06) nonstop into

4- song- 5 (9:25) nonstop into

5- drum solo (1:59) nonstop into

6- song 2 (10:52) abrupt ending

((all instrumental - no vocals at all)) vocals edited out on Sony MXD-D40 -

Total running time - about 36 minutes - non-stop

Funny , at the bottom of the listing it says " No Known Recording "

as you sit and listen to yours ................. Transfer it to MD before the Tape fades . :o

I have done that (TCD-5M -> MDS-W1). I had to adjust the pitch also (MDS-W1 -> MDS-W1).

Just listened to a couple of songs off the new Depeche Mode "Sound of the Universe" absolutely fantastic, back to the sound of Music for the Masses, can't wait to get the whole disc, great stuff, wonder if they're coming to Grand Cayman or Cuba on their world tour!!!

Bob

I have done that (TCD-5M -> MDS-W1). I had to adjust the pitch also (MDS-W1 -> MDS-W1).

I Also Happen to be an owner of the wonder that is the Sony TCD-5M , in pristine condition , and sitting in safe wrap , new belt kit just in case it ever needs it .

http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/sonykits.html

scroll down a little over halfway for the TCD-5 belt ( Same one for the 5M )

I Also Happen to be an owner of the wonder that is the Sony TCD-5M , in pristine condition , and sitting in safe wrap , new belt kit just in case it ever needs it .

http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/sonykits.html

scroll down a little over halfway for the TCD-5 belt ( Same one for the 5M )

Thank you for the tip.

These days, I have been listening to a live recording of Ismaël Isaac, a reggae artist from Ivory Coast. I have bought all his CD's since I discovered him in 1990.

The Audio from the Doobie Brothers ," Wildlife Consevation Benefit DVD" Concert Recorded the the RH1 and now being transfered to the Mac for editing.

Listening to The Prodigy's ne album "Invaders must die" Brilliant, energy just doesn't let up, a sonic assault, but a good one, wish I had a monster audio system to unleash it on

Bob

Listening to The Prodigy's ne album "Invaders must die" Brilliant, energy just doesn't let up, a sonic assault, but a good one, wish I had a monster audio system to unleash it on

Bob

Great, I LOVE the prodigy's older stuff, it's the ultimate music to just get pumped up and excited! Glad to hear they're still on the right track, gonna have to listen to this.

I'm currently in love with Amadou & Mariam's "welcome to mali", think traditional mali music + guitar and synths. It's a really happy album.

Great, I LOVE the prodigy's older stuff, it's the ultimate music to just get pumped up and excited! Glad to hear they're still on the right track, gonna have to listen to this.

I'm currently in love with Amadou & Mariam's "welcome to mali", think traditional mali music + guitar and synths. It's a really happy album.

Saw and Amadou and Mariam last summer at the Edmonton Folk music festival, wonderful people, if you like them try Habib Koite

Bob

been listening to all the CD's i sent bobt - looking for mistakes and glitches - lol - but how can a person like me (rayzray) actually MAKE a "Mistake' - that is impossible !!

been listening to all the CD's i sent bobt - looking for mistakes and glitches - lol - but how can a person like me (rayzray) actually MAKE a "Mistake' - that is impossible !!

you the perfect man

Bob

Right now? Right now I am listening to a Van Morrison comp on MD. My own "Best Of," I guess.

SQ = SP

Disc = HiSpace 80

I/O = Sony MXD-D40 > Optimus SA-155 Int. Amp > Sennheiser eH150

listening to a copy of Yoga/Mtv - and it is putting me to sleep - this needs a Rayzray remix - like heavy metal music over their audio -

footnote # 67 - when i do remixong - i (rayzray) ALWAYS use MD's inbetween this and that -

Edited by rayzray

At the moment Im listening to The Velvet Underground, the peel and see box set.

What Goes On (Closet Mix) - Disc 4

been listening to Techno music - been recording for over 10 hours - taking songs off an MP3/M4a CD and recording only MD's i am on my 8th MD !!!!

but - this is FUN and i am getting a LOT of New Stuff- i love it -

Viva MD's and my love for music !!

Crystal Fragments: Best of the Ball

Prince

My own 1998 MD compilation from the 3cd set.

If U only had one year left 2 live

What good is the time U spend if U got no love 2 give?

413ZXYSS6ZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Now back in Japan and cleaning house, including getting rid of several hundred MDs. Stay tuned.

Edited by ShriDurga

been listening to Techno music - been recording for over 10 hours - taking songs off an MP3/M4a CD and recording only MD's i am on my 8th MD !!!!

but - this is FUN and i am getting a LOT of New Stuff- i love it -

Viva MD's and my love for music !!

This is exactly why I'm gonna start hoarding media and move my portable music listening back to the 80 minute MDs, MDLP at most. Yes, you have to record in real time, but the act of getting new music is much easier now than it was before - a few clicks and it's downloaded. My point is that the music experience is getting too easy, and there is too much choice. It may sound crazy, but since I started using MP3 players my appreciation for music has gone way down, to the point where I preferred listening to the sounds of the street rather than my own music. 20 gigs on an ipod and it was a pain in the arse just deciding WHAT to choose to listen to! Too much choice.

Now when I burn an MD, I'm waiting excitedly like a little child for it to finish, and when I finally get to listen it's very rewarding, and I appreciate the music more and get a lot more out of it (MD forces you to listen to the same things more often, too!)

Music is not about how many songs you can fit in your pocket. It's about how much you get out of each song. MDs have soul, and it shows.

PS. I'm listening to Mew now - "and the glass handed kites". It's a little progressive and demands all of your attention. Gotta listen more before judging..

This is exactly why I'm gonna start hoarding media and move my portable music listening back to the 80 minute MDs, MDLP at most. Yes, you have to record in real time, but the act of getting new music is much easier now than it was before - a few clicks and it's downloaded. My point is that the music experience is getting too easy, and there is too much choice. It may sound crazy, but since I started using MP3 players my appreciation for music has gone way down, to the point where I preferred listening to the sounds of the street rather than my own music. 20 gigs on an ipod and it was a pain in the arse just deciding WHAT to choose to listen to! Too much choice.

Now when I burn an MD, I'm waiting excitedly like a little child for it to finish, and when I finally get to listen it's very rewarding, and I appreciate the music more and get a lot more out of it (MD forces you to listen to the same things more often, too!)

Music is not about how many songs you can fit in your pocket. It's about how much you get out of each song. MDs have soul, and it shows.

PS. I'm listening to Mew now - "and the glass handed kites". It's a little progressive and demands all of your attention. Gotta listen more before judging..

sorry it took so song to reply - like i can only get on MDCF on one of my 4 PC's - and it's always busy doing jrojects -!!>>!!

i just FINISHED that project a few minutes ago - lol - i would say WAY over 20 ours !! but it is fruitful - i am getting about 80 songs i didn't have - all house-techno and trance - i am in seventh heaven - and the "Work" involved like you said makes it that more FUNNER and more funner-

well - i will cherish these songs forever - and play them on my Zune over and over - well - until the "Next Project" !!