Insert Existing Mics Into Croakies?

Rate this topic

Jeff DLB

dont multiple post threads of the same content, PLEASE!!!

Argh! I was posting from my Treo, and my submission kept coming back with an HTTP error message, so I thought I had posted zero threads. Sorry!

Now, about my original question...

SoundPros builds them from scratch, I assume, so they can thread the wires through before attaching the capsules and jack. I am wondering whether I can take my already-assembled BMC3s and shove them through the croakies.

So far I have not been able to find a local store that sells Croakies in order to inspect them myself.

SoundPros builds them from scratch, I assume, so they can thread the wires through before attaching the capsules and jack. I am wondering whether I can take my already-assembled BMC3s and shove them through the croakies.

So far I have not been able to find a local store that sells Croakies in order to inspect them myself.

just take two thin tubes in wool/cotton, pull the BMC3 elements through each one of them, attach the tubes to the arms of you glasses and make sure the elements are in place (use doublesided tape if you have to)... behind your head, where both tubes connect, place a bead or an elastic band or something to keep them together and lead the cables into the back of your shirt... like on this pic here lended from Soundpro's

user posted image

I really don't see why they would have to build them from scratch just to mount them in croakies... this really looks like something you can do yourself

greetings, Volta

Well, I did it myself with SP-CMC-2s. I followed the instructions on Sound Pros website. Simple-ish job.

Each 'arm' of the croakies are made up of 2 thin tubes. The idea is, you snip off the end, then roll back one of the tubes on each arm, leaving about an inch at the front end.

Lay your mic cable ON the inner tube (not inside it!), and insert the mic capsule end into the 1 inch you left.

Then roll the outer tube back down over your cable. Seal the loose ends with duct tape or elastic bands.

Note - whilst you could take your mics out again afterwards, it is not a process that is quickly repeatable. You would want to keep them in, or out. I'm keeping mine IN.

• 4 weeks later...

When looking at their site I couldn't work out why anyone would spend the extra $23 to get their mics permanently inserted into the croakies. Surely it's better to go for the cheaper option, which also gives you the option of removing them for non-stealth use? Or is the cheap option messy and unreliable?

Many thanks for that information! I had not realized Sound Professionals sold croakies and had instructions for inserting the mics. This is very helpful.

-Jeff DLB

Besides, these thick croakies look ridiculous IMO. ---> DIY

Will, in fact I did do it myself. I found a pair of eyeglass retainers that are made of some sort of cloth tubes, somewhat like thick shoelaces. After some surgery I was able to slide the mics through. It works, and is very stealthy, but I need to add something to clasp the croakies & mics more tightly to the glasses so they keep their position.

-Jeff DLB

Heat shrinkable tubing works very well for fixing the mics at a certain position, but you obviously have to be careful not to apply too much heat [it could damage the diaphragm]. Chances are, you won't even need additional retainers, nobody will notice these tiny mics anyway, especially if you slightly cover them with your hair.

I've shot a few pics of my current setup, for the SP-BMC-2's it could look slightly different - notice the difference in mounting position - closer to the ears will give a more natural stereo separation compared to SP's up front mounting position:

[attachmentid=430][attachmentid=431][attachmentid=432]

Beware of the guy with glasses cool.gif

post-6863-1121348107_thumb.jpg

post-6863-1121348133_thumb.jpg

post-6863-1121348150_thumb.jpg