Sony VAIO Pocket VGF-AP1L Pictorial

Rate this topic

Well.... almost 24 hours since I opened the Vaio Pocket package and.....

I have had no trouble so far. Sonic Stage 3.1, Music move, Simple burner 2 installed fine on my laptop(was done ahead of the Vaio delivery). USB connection was immediate, firmware upgrade went flawlessly. Loaded an album of MP3 and played just fine. Encoded about 5 albums in SS to Atrac HI-SP and played back flawlessly. SS take a little getting used to but mostly reliable. I've used very early versions of Sony O-My-God (Open-MG) blink.gif software for my older Net-md (Sony MZN505) for titling MD etc. and find the SS to be much improved in terms of reliability and usability.

I wished that Atrac3 and MP3 tracks on the Vaio Pocket can be deleted on the unit itself without having to connect to SS on the PC to free up space in emergencies for photo storage. Connected to my Sony F717 and transfered a bunch of 5MP JPEG photos and displayed on the Vaio just fine(a little slow displaying but bearable for a small folder). Transfered photos also received on my laptop when connected. Will try more on photo capabilities and see how far I can push things. We shall see... ohmy.gif

Very pleased with sound quality of playback for MP3 192Kbps VBR and Atrac3 256 Kbps encoded music. Using my Sony Eggo D66, Koss Portapro, KSC75 and Shure E2 (all unamped)for the listening in various situations.

I like the QVGA LCD screen quality for photo review a lot, I immediately put on a sheet of PDA screen protector on it to prevent from scratching. G-sense keypad takes a little getting used to but I got the hang of it within the first hour or so.

These are my initial impressions for day one. So far, I am very pleased with the purchase. It has not frozen up on me just yet(knock on wood) but it has met my expectations and then some...... tongue.gif

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woah 3 times the first day? how did you know it was due to a file corruption? restarting constantly won't damage the machine will it? hope it won't do it often..

Because whenever I played that track, the unit would crash, and I couldn't even shut it down. So then I deleted it and copied new files onto it, and it's been working fine ever since.

Because whenever I played that track, the unit would crash, and I couldn't even shut it down. So then I deleted it and copied new files onto it, and it's been working fine ever since.

oh i gotcha well that's good that it wasn't your player...for me, i don't htink it was my song that caused it to freeze...i just fast forwarded a song and it went kinda crazy and then it froze...it hasn't happened again when i played it. i don't know, just hope the player is fine.

Here is the neoprene pouch I am using.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...egoryNavigation

I bought it eons ago for my travel point-and-shoot camera and it fits the Vaio Pocket just right (not too tight just a little room to have the remote plugged in), good in a way because I can have the remote plugged in and close the pouch and put it in the pocket or use the belt loop to hang it on the belt and play music on the run. You can't see the screen when it is in the pouch but that's what a remote is good for. biggrin.gif

Your local electronic store or camera shop might have one on the shelf. Inexpensive enough that you can have a couple of them(in different colors) for the price sony charge for one leather one.

Damn, discovered a MAJOR problem with this player.

It doesn't transfer songs on a 2nd comp unless it's re-initialized and everything on it deleted! I have an account at Connect.com, but SonicStage can't register the device(which is supposedly to allow me to use the device with multiple computers). It just puts me on "please wait" message forever, which means I can't get my 45 free songs. On top of that, the coupon code that came with the player for 5 free songs is invalid too. Plus, Sony doesn't reply to correspondence. Now that's borderline scam.

Edited by Max Spider X

Damn, discovered a MAJOR problem with this player.

It doesn't transfer songs on a 2nd comp unless it's re-initialized and everything on it deleted!

May be I am not understanding you properly. You are attempting to transfer same song to the device multiple times and it won't allow you to do that unless Vaio Pocket is re-initialized/reformatted?

Vaio Pocket seem to be running some sort of music indexing Database on it. Inserting same row of data in DB with same key is a no-no on some DB, if that is the case at least the SS should clearly tell you that you are making a boo-boo instead of making you guess. May be you should delete the first one in SS so it is removed from the index(DB) and then transfer it again? Have you tried that?

Having to wipe out the device every time you want to attempt transfering same track again is a little too extreme.

I have an account at Connect.com, but SonicStage can't register the device(which is supposedly to allow me to use the device with multiple computers). It just puts me on "please wait" message forever, which means I can't get my 45 free songs. On top of that, the coupon code that came with the player for 5 free songs is invalid too. Plus, Sony doesn't reply to correspondence. Now that's borderline scam.

Which SonicStage did you install? And what are your setups(OS, servicepacks etc)?

I installed the SS 3.1 with the installer from Sony Connect(not the standalone one from MDCF without connect component) on two machines without a hitch, W2k Prof. desktop and a XP Home notebook. Registered both machines, and the device(vaio pocket) without a hitch.

I didn't know about the free download stuff. I don't care much for their on-line music so it does not matter one way or the other I guess.

Seems like your problems are Sonic Stage related. SS is in control of machine/device registration as well as maintaining data integrity of downloaded tracks.

I meant I couldn't transfer songs onto the player using computers other than the first one I used. Meaning, the player cannot hold songs transferred from 2 or more computers, unless all the songs obtained from the first computer are to be deleted.

I am using SonicStage 2.3. I am gonna have to try that 3.1.

I meant I couldn't transfer songs onto the player using computers other than the first one I used. Meaning, the player cannot hold songs transferred from 2 or more computers, unless all the songs obtained from the first computer are to be deleted.

I am using SonicStage 2.3. I am gonna have to try that 3.1.

OK. I understand now. I have ripped and transfered CD's from both registered machines to the device using SS 3.1. No fuss what so ever.

You should do complete uninstall of that V2.3 and reboot and reinstall SS3.1 as soon as possible for your maximum enjoyment of this Vaio Pocket. biggrin.gif

I am loving this machine. If the price drops another $50, I may be tempted to buy another one just for back-up and spare parts(considering Sony charges $70 for cradle and similarly for the remote). tongue.gif

OK. I understand now.  I have ripped and transfered CD's from both registered machines to the device using SS 3.1.  No fuss what so ever.

You should do complete uninstall of that V2.3 and reboot and reinstall SS3.1 as soon as possible for your maximum enjoyment of this Vaio Pocket.  biggrin.gif

I am loving this machine.  If the price drops another $50, I may be tempted to buy another one just for back-up and spare parts(considering Sony charges $70 for cradle and similarly for the remote).  tongue.gif

I forgot to mention, be sure to upgrade the firmware (before reinstalling Sonic Stage or anything) from the link Ishi has provided if you have not already.

It makes a H-U-G-E difference, believe me.

Sad news, I have tried 3.1 on my computer 2 and it's no go. It won't even transfer songs I myself ripped from music CDs, unless I wipe my player's harddrive clean. And I did manage to authorize computer 2 onto connect.com using SS 3.1. But seems like it has nothing to do with music transfer problem.

Are you talking about the v3 firmware with the native mp3 support?

Sad news, I have tried 3.1 on my computer 2 and it's no go. It won't even transfer songs I myself ripped from music CDs, unless I wipe my player's harddrive clean. And I did manage to authorize computer 2 onto connect.com using SS 3.1. But seems like it has nothing to do with music transfer problem.

Are you talking about the v3 firmware with the native mp3 support?

Yes, the latest firmware seem to be optimized and device operates smoother even if you don't care about MP3 playback capability.

I also had trouble with trying to rip and transfer CD to the device the first time, SS tells me it cannot transfer the tracks. Then, I figured out that I didn't have the device registered. Once I had the device registered, all worked without problems.

You might also try unregistering and re-registering the device(I am not 100% sure but I think there is an option to actually do this).

Where do you see the register option? I was only able to find "Update music service authorization info" under Tools. Are we talking about the same thing?

Sorry I was not very precise with the terms. I meant to say Authorize/De-Authorize Device.

In SS3.1, when click on Transfer (Music Source/My Library/Transfer) you see "Device/Media Info" button on the lower right side of Atrac Audio Device box.

When click on that button, you see "Device/Media Properties" dialog box. There, you see Authorize and De-authorize box. If your device is already authorized, then authorize button is disabled and vice versa.

This is what I mean. I was thinking, updating firmware might (not sure) erase Authorized signature from the device. So, was going to suggest that you de-authorize first then upgrade firmware then..... upgrade FW.... then redo Authorize. Not sure all of this is necessary. But, just a suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I found the PDAir's custom-made case(supposedly better than Sony's)  for this player on their website:

PDair VAIO Pocket VGP-AP1L leather case

EDIT:  Hmmmm...WTF! PDAir is based in UK, and its website is pdairshop.co.uk. Who the hell did I just order from?

Rest assured. PDair is indeed based in the UK; and your order will likely be shipped direct from the UK. I have purchased from PDair before and their leather case speaks of quality. The AP1L leather case is quite nice but I am not so keen on its design. Nonetheless, you will find its leather and stitching quality to be impeccable.

wow thank you for mentioning this site for the case...i'm still desperatly looking for one and I think I just might purchase this one instead of the usual Sony ones. How much is the s&h to the states though?

Hey, I found the PDAir's custom-made case(supposedly better than Sony's)  for this player on their website:

PDair VAIO Pocket VGP-AP1L leather case

EDIT:  Hmmmm...WTF! PDAir is based in UK, and its website is pdairshop.co.uk. Who the hell did I just order from?

wow thank you for mentioning this site for the case...i'm still desperatly looking for one and I think I just might purchase this one instead of the usual Sony ones.  How much is the s&h to the states though?

I believe they offer free shipping worldwide. Is this correct, Max?

Yup, free shipping worldwide. I have sent and received an email back, stating that my item was scheduled to be shipped on 7/19. But 7/19 has come and passed in Asia, and still no shipping confirmation. I just hope I will get it before my trip to CA in Aug. They are definitely legit tho, I have emailed PDair UK, and the fact was justified.

Here is the comparison between Sony's and PDair's cases: http://www.siliconpopculture.com/review/112_0_2_0_M/

hmmm...omg i didn't know they made a review between the cases too at siliconpop...haha too funny. Okay Max and Ishiyoshi...think you guys have convinced me again...thank you! Totally grateful that you guys mentioned this new case...kinda excited now..especially with the free shipping perk. Thank God I waited.

Yup, free shipping worldwide. I have sent and received an email back, stating that my item was scheduled to be shipped on 7/19. But 7/19 has come and passed in Asia, and still no shipping confirmation. I just hope I will get it before my trip to CA in Aug. They are definitely legit tho, I have emailed PDair UK, and the fact was justified.

Here is the comparison between Sony's and PDair's cases: http://www.siliconpopculture.com/review/112_0_2_0_M/

oh yeah i made sure it was the 40 gig...i just placed my order...kinda nervous on them receiving my payment since they don't give out confirmation codes. Did you ask them when it should be shipped to you in your e-mail? How soon did you receive an email back from them?

*edit* oh nevermind, I just received a confirmation email..and then I emailed them back asking what's the estimated shipping date. I really like the credit card holder feature, that's awesome.

No prob. Just be sure not to follow the link in the Silicon review. That's for the 20GB version.

Edited by chenfurfur

Wah? I have never received any confirmation email. Are you referring to the Paypal receipt? They replied to my email the very next day.

Hi,

Thank you for your order. Your Order Transaction ID: 88762107BA722813X will be processed. We will plan for send out on 19 Jul'05 schedule. An e-mail will be sent to you once the item is being shipped.

If you have any enquiries, please forward your email to enquiry@pdair.com

Yours truly,

PDair Workshop

lol yeah i meant the paypal receipt...sorry to alarm you smile.gif. I'm still waiting for them to reply to my email stating the shipping info. When did you order your case by the way?

Wah? I have never received any confirmation email. Are you referring to the Paypal receipt? They replied to my email the very next day.

Edited by chenfurfur

I am glad to inform you that...

Hi,

Thank you for your order. We are glad to inform you that your shipment has been processed and send out by air on 19 Jul'05. Please note that the delivery time for air mail via Post Office is around 7 to 10 days.

In order to improve our services to our customers, your feedback to us is very valuable. We would like to check whether our delivery is on time or not. Thanks in advance for your feedback.