Sony VAIO Pocket VGF-AP1L Pictorial

Rate this topic

1. Are there any problems at all that you have encountered ever since you have purchased it (whether they are minor or major)? I've read that the software that came with it was the big problem, or that it's difficult to use.

2. Is it true that you can view the lyrics of the songs on it (after downloading the updated firmware)? Because this is one of the features that is really attracting me to this player.

3. I listen to a lot of international songs (japanese, chinese, korean, etc.), do the ID3 tags work with these as well? If not, is it easy to manually input/type them in yourself?

4. I've read that it is possible to buy this player now for $250...can you tell me where? I've only seen them for $299 at SonyStyle.

5. Is there a Japanese import version available in the states? Is there a big difference between the Japanese version and the US version?

6. Do the songs skip at all if you shake it or if you go jogging/running with it?

7. Why is this player so cheap? $299 for a 40gb? I feel like there's a catch or

something.

8. Is it possible to make playlists on this player?

Welcome to MDCF! smile.gif

I will try and be precise as possible with the answers:

--> 1) No problem whatsoever. I have the VAIO Pocket since last December and have yet to experience any problems with either software: SonicStage or VAIO Music Move/Music Transfer.

--> 2) Yes, you can view lyrics of the song in question; but I have yet to try this feature - for your information, you can manually input the lyrics via SonicStage.

--> 3) Yes, the VAIO Pocket supports Japanese and Chinese text; and you can title them manually via SonicStage if needed. *I have yet to try Korean text - will try it shortly. Please drop me a pm as reminder. wink.gif

--> 4) I believe you can get the VAIO Pocket for $250 from ecost; and Ubid.com had listings of the VAIO Pocket for about $230-250 two weeks ago.

--> 5) If you are in the US, I suggest you should just acquire the US version. The only difference is its capacity. Japanese version: VGF-AP1, 20GB; US/Canadian version: VGF-AP1L, 40GB; European [AEP/UK] version: VGF-AP1, 20GB/AP1L, 40GB; International [Asian/Oceania/South Africa] version: VGF-AP1, 20GB.

--> 6) It is plausible to state that its playback does not skip or shake if you will when you use it in the gym; however, I do not take the VAIO Pocket out for a run. wink.gif

--> 7) The decline in its retail value is a culmination of various factors - one being the release of new devices such as the NW-HD5.

--> 8) You can certainly create playlist on the main unit itself, but not on the PC or SonicStage.

Cheers,

Ishii

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.siliconpopculture.com/review/92_0_2_0_M9/

there's a pretty decent review here, tipped me over the edge, i'm just trying to source one atm.

Let us know where you buy 1 from if you do Adrain! As I'd love to know!

Ishi, I read a review last night, stating that all the buttons on the righ hand side were very sensitive, and hard to use, making it very difficult to scroll down lists etc...

Do you find this the case at all?

Ishi, in your pictures, it looks really big, but in the reviw above, it is suggested it is no longer than a mouse.. Can I have some dimensions of how long, and thick it is please...

And do you find it top-heavy, with the battery in the 1 side..?

Let us know where you buy 1 from if you do Adrain! As I'd love to know!

Ishi, I read a review last night, stating that all the buttons on the righ hand side were very sensitive, and hard to use, making it very difficult to scroll down lists etc...

Do you find this the case at all?

Ishi, in your pictures, it looks really big, but in the reviw above, it is suggested it is no longer than a mouse..  Can I have some dimensions of how long, and thick it is please...

And do you find it top-heavy, with the battery in the 1 side..?

The G-Sense button is somewhat sensitive. However, there are two settings to the G-Sense - Thumb operation and Flat - and its sensitivity is relative to the size of your fingers. In my case, I used "Flat" settings, which makes navigation thru the G-Sense buttons easy compared to the "Thumb operation."

As for its size, I thought my size comparison pictures was clear - comparison with the RH10, TDK BitClub and D-777. Regardless, I can confirm that the author of the VAIO Pocket review is correct - the size of the VAIO Pocket is no longer (inclusive of length and width) than a mouse such as the Logitech MX700. Let me know if you need more comparative pictorial.

As for the VAIO Pocket's dimensions:

VFG-AP1L, 40GB model:

Approx. 4.6 x 2.5 x 0.8 inches (115.2 x 63.3 x 20.4 mm) (w/h/d) *[widest part: 1.1 inches (27mm)

VFG-AP1, 20GB model:

Approx. 4.6 x 2.5 x 0.7 inches (115.2 x 63.3 x 17.2 mm) (w/h/d) *[widest part: 1.1 inches (27mm)

As for weight distribution, it is not top heavy in any sense. Bear in mind, there’s a LCD and HDD module in the middle and the other end of the device to offset the battery’s weight should it be of any significance.

Mass:

VGF-AP1L, 40GB model: Approx. 7.4 oz. (210g)

VGF-AP1, 20GB model: Approx. 6.9 oz. (195g)

Just one comment about skipping. I have had mine skip on me once or twice while walking around with it in my pocket. I don't know if that's because I had skipped tracks and thus the memory buffer was empty or what, but it was an otherwise empty pocket of some board shorts so it was moving around a lot. In general it doesn't skip but I'm not sure I'd strap it on me at the gym or not. I prefer MD or flash players for gym use, but I recognize not everyone can afford to have a separate player for the gym.

Navigation isn't *quite* as slick as the iPods (interface is fine-- it just feels a tad less responsive, but who knows-- I only ever browse and listen by groups).

Oh... and there was one time-- I'm not sure how I did it, but I froze the unit such that I could find no way to power it off. The screen was still on but the unit would not respond. Rather than wait for the battery to drain I had to open the battery compartment (some tiny screws involved) and manually unplug the battery to kill the power and shut the player down. I had to reset a few things when I put it back together, but all the music was still there intact. I spoke with Ishi about this and he's never had this problem, and I had this problem once in the 6 months I've owned it. Otherwise it's been a great player. (I've frozen my iPod Mini a couple times too but it had a way to shut it down manually... Ishi has the service manual for the Vaio Pocket I believe, maybe there is a way to force it to shut down without resorting to removing the battery).

Edited by Rumz

(I've frozen my iPod Mini a couple times too but it had a way to shut it down manually...  Ishi has the service manual for the Vaio Pocket I believe, maybe there is a way to force it to shut down without resorting to removing the battery).

I do have the service manual. However, it does not provide any service mode info - just the typical schematics and part numbers for the VAIO Pocket.

Thanks so much Ishi for your input, the player sounds so great to me! What a bummer though, I can't find it on ECOST at all..so i guess SonyStyle it is. A few more questions (i'm so sorry again)..

1. Are the earphone wires (remote attached to the earphone) really really long? How do you like the Sony earphones that come with it? How does it sound to you (enough bass)?

2. I'm a little confused on the difference between the "flat" and "thumb" settings of the G-sense pad. What's the difference besides depending on the size of your fingers? Do you have to press down on the buttons or something?

3. Is there an unlimited amount of playlists you can make on the player?

4. Any possibility of games on it?

5. Do the album arts for the Japanese (international albums) come with the ID3 tags often? Or do I have to manually find the album art and assign it under the song?

6. Is it possible to convert some songs to ATRAC format while leaving other songs in MP3? Or do all of the songs have to be the same format?

7. This may be a stupid question but is there a sound quality difference between an ATRAC song and an MP3? I'm not too familiar with ATRAC (dealt with apple's mp3s all my life) and if they don't have any difference in sound and can take up less space then the ATRAC should be better right? I guess the only hassle is converting all of the songs to ATRAC?

8. I'm just scared that when I buy it, I'm going to receive a defective item or that I won't like it (but i find that highly unlikely)...and I've read their return policy but am confused by it. Do they give full refunds back?

9. Any possibilty of another update with the firmware any time soon?

Thank sooo much again for your help...you should receive commission or something lol (well after I buy it of course).

Take Care!!

Oh and did you try the korean font yet??

Thanks so much Ishi for your input, the player sounds so great to me! What a bummer though, I can't find it on ECOST at all..so i guess SonyStyle it is.  A few more questions (i'm so sorry again)..

1. Are the earphone wires (remote attached to the earphone) really really long? How do you like the Sony earphones that come with it? How does it sound to you (enough bass)?

2. I'm a little confused on the difference between the "flat" and "thumb" settings of the G-sense pad.  What's the difference besides depending on the size of your fingers? Do you have to press down on the buttons or something?

3. Is there an unlimited amount of playlists you can make on the player?

4. Any possibility of games on it?

5. Do the album arts for the Japanese (international albums) come with the ID3 tags often? Or do I have to manually find the album art and assign it under the song?

6. Is it possible to convert some songs to ATRAC format while leaving other songs in MP3? Or do all of the songs have to be the same format?

7. This may be a stupid question but is there a sound quality difference between an ATRAC song and an MP3? I'm not too familiar with ATRAC (dealt with apple's mp3s all my life) and if they don't have any difference in sound and can take up less space then the ATRAC should be better right? I guess the only hassle is converting all of the songs to ATRAC?

8. I'm just scared that when I buy it, I'm going to receive a defective item or that I won't like it (but i find that highly unlikely)...and I've read their return policy but am confused by it. Do they give full refunds back?

9. Any possibilty of another update with the firmware any time soon?

Thank sooo much again for your help...you should receive commission or something lol (well after I buy it of course).

Take Care!!

Oh and did you try the korean font yet??

Answers:

--> 1) The included earphone is just the typical Sony MDR-838SP stock buds; nothing special. The cords are not excessively long (inclusive of the remote cords). To be honest, I didn't even bother to try the included stock buds; they are likely to be very mediocre.

--> 2) G-sense Sensing Area Settings:

Thumb operation --> this setting works best when holding the unit with one hand and operating it with your thumb.

Flat --> response is evenly distributed over the button area.

--> 3) Yes, it is plausible.

--> 4) Unfortunately, you can't play games with the VAIO Pocket.

--> 5) If you purchase Japanese music (either by individual song or albums) from Mora, album covers are already embedded in the song itself. Since, I prefer ATRAC3+ 256kbps, I usually assign/add album covers to Japanese songs manually via SonicStage.

--> 6) You can import either format onto the VAIO Pocket.

--> 7) There is definitely difference in sound quality between ATRAC3/3+ and Mp3s. To be fair, the choice between both formats is relative to one's listening requirement. So, I would suggest you run a search within this forum or elsewhere for more in-depth information regarding sound quality and conversion. Personally, I prefer ATRAC3+ because I require gapless playback and I usually convert to ATRAC3+ direct from my CDs. Thus, no hassle at all.

--> 8) You can definitely return the device if it's defective. In addition, you can also purchase extended warranty to protect your investment.

--> 9) It has been six month since the last firmware update. Let's pray Sony VAIO will continue to update the device.

* I will try titling in Korean as soon as I can. wink.gif

Alright... you better go get the VAIO Pocket now. wink.gif

thanks so much for your help ishi, I really really appreciate it! Oh and do you think SonyStyle will issue refunds if you just decide not to keep it (even though it may be working fine)?

Does anyone know a place in the NY metro area where I can try out this player? I'd like to just try it out and see how it feels before I by it. I've tried the major electronic stores such as Best Buy and Circuit City but yeah they don't have it of course.

Answers:

--> 1) The included earphone is just the typical Sony MDR-838SP stock buds; nothing special. The cords are not excessively long (inclusive of the remote cords). To be honest, I didn't even bother to try the included stock buds; they are likely to be very mediocre.

--> 2) G-sense Sensing Area Settings:

Thumb operation --> this setting works best when holding the unit with one hand and operating it with your thumb.

Flat --> response is evenly distributed over the button area.

--> 3) Yes, it is plausible.

--> 4) Unfortunately, you can't play games with the VAIO Pocket.

--> 5) If you purchase Japanese music (either by individual song or albums) from Mora, album covers are already embedded in the song itself. Since, I prefer ATRAC3+ 256kbps, I usually assign/add album covers to Japanese songs manually via SonicStage.

--> 6) You can import either format onto the VAIO Pocket.

--> 7) There is definitely difference in sound quality between ATRAC3/3+ and Mp3s. To be fair, the choice between both formats is relative to one's listening requirement. So, I would suggest you run a search within this forum or elsewhere for more in-depth information regarding sound quality and conversion. Personally, I prefer ATRAC3+ because I require gapless playback and I usually convert to ATRAC3+ direct from my CDs. Thus, no hassle at all.

--> 8) You can definitely return the device if it's defective. In addition, you can also purchase extended warranty to protect your investment.

--> 9) It has been six month since the last firmware update. Let's pray Sony VAIO will continue to update the device.

* I will try titling in Korean as soon as I can.  wink.gif

Alright... you better go get the VAIO Pocket now.  wink.gif

thanks so much for your help ishi, I really really appreciate it!  Oh and do you think SonyStyle will issue refunds if you just decide not to keep it (even though it may be working fine)?

Does anyone know a place in the NY metro area where I can try out this player? I'd like to just try it out and see how it feels before I by it.  I've tried the major electronic stores such as Best Buy and Circuit City but yeah they don't have it of course.

Sorry, I can't speak for SonyStyle since I am not familiar with their return policy. However, you can definitely enquire at the SonyStyle store in New York. For your convenience, here's the address:

Sony Plaza

550 Madison Avenue

New York, NY 10022

212-833-8800

*For your information, all SonyStyle stores (the ones, which I have visited) have the VAIO Pocket on display. So, I am sure the Sony Plaza in Madison Ave. will have it.

Have fun. smile.gif

after drooliong over rumz & ishi's pics & reviews i've purchased one of these on ebay. sadly i'll be on holiday for three weeks so i wont see it for awhile...

oooh i'm so happy you told me about the one on Madison..I'm sooo going to check it out there today...

Are you sure it's not $249 instead of $239? Did they raise the price or something? What are the shipping costs?

As I said yesterday, "grab it while you can" - it was at $239. I reckon the immense demand pushed it back to $249.

haha are you sure you don't work for sony? i'm just kidding...but i'm totally sold on it...$249-$299 for a 40 gig is a sweet deal...just want to touch it and see it first before i drop it like it's hot...going around the city today to check it out. Thanks again Ishi!

ps. about how many mp3's can it hold max? and how many ACTRAC does it hold max? I just want to know the difference storage wise.

As I said yesterday, "grab it while you can" - it was at $239. I reckon the immense demand pushed it back to $249.

Edited by bestillmyheart

Hi, I just had to register to ask you a couple of questions.

Where did you get the VGP-CKP1 carrying case and for how much? I have been looking up and down for the VGP-AMC4 case at a decent price, because SonyStyle sells it for $50 after shipping and tax, but have had no luck. VGP-AMC4 is said to have a see-through part so that you can see the LCD without pulling out the player from the case. But I guess I could live with VGP-CKP1.

Also, do you know if Sony will be able to replace our batteries 2-3 years down the road?

Hi, I just had to register to ask you a couple of questions.

Where did you get the VGP-CKP1 carrying case and for how much? I have been looking up and down for the VGP-AMC4 case at a decent price, because SonyStyle sells it for $50 after shipping and tax, but have had no luck. VGP-AMC4 is said to have a see-through part so that you can see the LCD without pulling out the player from the case. But I guess I could live with VGP-CKP1.

Also, do you know if Sony will be able to replace our batteries 2-3 years down the road?

Welcome to MDCF!

I bought the VGP-CKP1 while I was back in Tokyo for vacation last year. If I remember correctly.. it was approx. USD$25-30. The VGP-CKP1 is also available in the UK and Asia (I have seen them in Hong Kong and Singapore).

As for battery replacement, you can replace the battery on your own - the VAIO Pocket user manual provides detail replacement instruction. Hence, there's no need to send it back to Sony for replacement. For your convenience, please refer to the diagram below.

user posted image

But the problem is that you can't buy the battery separately. At least not in the US.

You can order the internal battery direct from Sony DAPC for approx. USD$51.54. I will update the original post with the appropriate battery part numbers shortly.

Update: The VAIO Pocket part numbers - check with the first page of this thread.

omg i didn't know you can replace the batter yourself..and the batter being only $51.54?? Wow seriously thats so great, unlike apple's lack of battery replacements. I just hope these batteries don't become extinct or something by the time I get mine. Thanks so much Ishi..seriously you are such a great help! I can't wait to get off from work so i can run over to sonystyle!! woohooo..! smile.gif

You can order the internal battery direct from Sony DAPC for approx. USD$51.54. I will update the original post with the appropriate battery part numbers shortly.

Update: The VAIO Pocket part numbers - check with the first page of this thread.

okay so i went to SonyStyle today to hopefully check out the Pocket Vaio myself but it was nowhere..so i finally asked the worker there and he said that it has been discontinued b/c a newer model will be out. He was being kinda shady and rude though and I felt like I had to pry answered out of him. He said he doesn't know what the new version will be called but he said that it might come out in a few months (how can he not know what it looks like if it's supposed to come out in a few months)..yeah so I don't know know if he's being truthful or not. Also I asked him what new features the new model will have and he said he doesn't really know but he "hears" it might be able to play videos. So if this is really true..i don't know...it sounds tempting to wait and see if a new one does come out. But the price won't be as good i'm sure...

One more thing, has anyone bought anything from ECOST before? Is the Sony Vaio up for grabs a totally unopened, unrefurbished model? I don't want a refurbished or a return product b/c their return policy isn't too good. Someone please answer me before I place my order...thank you!!

One more thing, has anyone bought anything from ECOST before? Is the Sony Vaio up for grabs a totally unopened, unrefurbished model?  I don't want a refurbished or a return product b/c their return policy isn't too good.  Someone please answer me before I place my order...thank you!!

I believe it's a brand new-sealed in box unit. I've bought a few items from eCost.com in the past and my experience was a pleasant one.

Hey Max, I'm a little confused about the coupon..is this only for Buy.com or for Ecost as well? I don't think i see the pocket vaio at buy.com unless I'm typing it in the search wrong. Can you please provide me with the link for it?

EDIT - haha nevermind I found it....but they don't seem to have anymore of it at buy.com sad.gif

Use the 10% off coupon here: http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=...7073&adid=17662

to make it $215.99

Edited by chenfurfur

haha because of this wonderful message board they should thank us!

Anyone know where i can get the Vaio Pocket cases (either the VGP-AMC4, or the VGP-CKP1 for cheaper than what SonyStyle sells?

Lol!

Sony will be wondering what on earth is going on - with the sales of their Vaio Pocket sales tongue.gif

Every store will be outta units tongue.gif and asking for more tongue.gif

Keep checking buy.com, they might have it in stock again. If you place order on the backordered item now, you won't get the free shipping. And the 10% is only for buy.com.

The shipping cost and tax of VGP-AMC4 at CDW is way to high, which kinda beats the purpose of shopping outside SonyStyle. Buy.com has it for $28, but it is currently backordered. And I have had no luck on Ebay.

Edited by Max Spider X

OK. I grabbed one from ECost as well.

Got an email flyer from Ecost yesterday and noticed that it was in the bargain countdown bucket for $239. Was contemplating...... Then I saw buy.com 10% coupon deal with same price so I tried to add that dang thing to my basket for about an hour with no luck what so ever. I just gave up and grabbed one from ECost, they got about 9 more left I think. smile.gif

Buy.com deal would have been sweeter but hack..... For $20, I will just press my gas paddle easier for next 30 days and I should recover it. smile.gif

I am absolutely looking forward to this. I kind of wanted one when Ishi did a preview sometime last year but was going for 400 bucks. Now, this is much better with superb gapless playback and MP3 as well as 20+ hour of playback. I am not sure I'll be using to download from my camera much but I don't mind.

Just for a portable USB2.0 hard-drive with 20 hour battery life alone is worth the admission already. Thanks again Ishi for all your enthusiasm on the Vaio pocket. I am sure next release of this player will be much better but I will cross my fingers on sony enhancing photo management features of this little baby with future firmware updates. I can even hope for gapless FLAC playback. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

And folks who are wondering about ECost, these guys are just fine. I have gotten a couple of really good deals and most of my experiences with them are very pleasant. Only gripe is that I had to pay sales tax cause I am in California. Dang!