Hi-md Transplant By Bwerbrou M.d.

Rate this topic

since sony doesn't plan to release coulorful himd discs in the near future in europe, here's my MD transplantion. Enjoy it while watching, but please respect the aseptic conditions.

user posted image

the equipment you need: latex gloves, sterile equip like bistouri, kocher, cissors, cutter, cotton, syringe, screwdriver, glue and two MDs!

user posted image

first put on the gloves, for hygienic reasons,; you never know if the patient is seropositive (even though i'm vaccinated for hepatitis cool.gif

user posted image

work in aspectic conditions. you can use a solution of chlorhexidine 5%

user posted image

user posted image

anesthesy, you don't want the disc to suffer during the operation. heavy boys do it without. you can use xylocain with adrenaline

user posted image

use the knife to open the shutter and pull the shutter off very gently. don't break it!

user posted image

user posted image

done!!! first difficult step of the operation...

user posted image

user posted image

open the disc with a knife with a very thin blade or use a screwdriver as a handle. but be careful. The MD disc was piece of cake to open (click click click and it was open). The HiMD disc seems to be glued together. The body was damaged during the operation. But don't think I will need that Himd coat ever again so...

be careful that you don't loose any pieces, but think this is very obvious why... rolleyes.gif

user posted image

the two discs after the transplantation. try not to take out the discs by hand, transfer them by putting one part of the MD disc shell to the HiMD shell and flip it. that way, you don't need to move it by hand (fingerprints!!!! :eek: )

user posted image

glue everything together, but beware to let the disc dry for one night before you put it in your MD player/recorder!

user posted image

ione lucky patient (the acceptor thanks his HiMD donor!)!

user posted image

without flash, hopefully healthy, if there's rejection i will see tomorrow when i play the disc, but there were no complications during the operation

user posted image

user posted image

the family visits the patient in hospital.

thank you Doctor bwerbrou for saving my life!

Man you are alot more careful than I was last night! LOL! Hope those are powder free latex gloves. I always hated wearing those in the lab....

http://www.pbase.com/dirtweed/junk

Oh yeah don't forget to cover the hole under the write protection tab on the back in order to record on your new HiMD if you keep the back of the Std MD. I like to keep the backs of the Std MD as I use Neige, Hello Kitty and now my TDK Fine blanks.

Valder

Edited by Valder

Man you are alot more careful than I was last night! LOL! Hope those are powder free latex gloves. I always hated wearing those in the lab....

http://www.pbase.com/dirtweed/junk

Oh yeah don't forget to cover the hole under the write protection tab on the back  in order to record on your new HiMD if you keep the back of the Std MD. I like to keep the backs of the Std MD as I use Neige, Hello Kitty and now my TDK Fine blanks.

Valder

so, this looks interesting! i have lots of regular md's and several hi-md's and wouldn't mind trying this out. i like bwerbrou's job with gluing it together and using the hi-md shutter. i'm wondering how you distinguish your "new" hi-md blanks, valder? i'm also wondering if you (valder) had problems getting the hi-md disc apart? bwerbrou mentioned breaking the case to get at the hi-md disc inside. i'd like to be able to use all of the discs and am leary of taking them apart if i only get one good hi-md out of the deal (no matter how stylish it now looks) and end up having to throw the regular md away because the hi-md case is too broken to put it in. i still use old md's in sp mode in my auvi shelf unit and need a stash on hand for new cd->md dubs. hi-md is more for listening to at work (so i don't have to have so many md's around) and for live recording.

anyway, if you can give me a little reassurance that i can get two functional md's out of the deal, i might be up fo giving this a whirl smile.gif

thanks!

nikolaus

I found the TDK Fine discs are more brittle and I went through a few of them to get a good cover. The Sony discs seem a bit more flexible and the Hello Kitty discs just about popped apart. The HiMd discs I have trashed every disc casing. sad.gif

I got the regular Neige and Fine discs cheap so I don't mind wasting a few to try it out. I think I'll be only using the Neige discs and putting the 1GB HiMD shutter on them so as to tell the difference between them and the regular discs. I have to think of a sticker to use to cover the 74 on them though. The Hello Kitty discs I am just leaving them as is....darned things were $6. HA!

I am also gluing the cases together as well...I just did a quicky yesterday with tape to see if it worked OK.

Valder

Edited by Valder

so the hi-md cases are glues together? i guess that's okay for the most part. i have some of those memorex colr series md's that start to pop apart after awhile blink.gif i'll have to think about prying the hi-md's apart then! do y'all think there's any hope of getting 'em apert without breaking them?

I found the TDK Fine discs are more brittle and I went through a few of them to get a good cover. The Sony discs seem a bit more flexible and the Hello Kitty discs just about popped apart. The HiMd discs I have trashed every disc casing. sad.gif

I got the regular Neige and Fine discs cheap so I don't mind wasting a few to try it out. I think I'll be only using the Neige discs and putting the 1GB HiMD shutter on them so as to tell the difference between them and the regular discs. I have to think of a sticker to use to cover the 74 on them though. The Hello Kitty discs I am just leaving them as is....darned things were $6. HA!

I am also gluing the cases together as well...I just did a quicky yesterday with tape to see if it worked OK.

Valder

i look forward to hearing back about whether or not you think the hi-md cases can be salvaged!

I wasn't all that careful as I did not care if they survived the transformation. I'll give it a go tomorrow on another HiMD and see if I can get it to live.  Off to bed for now.

Valder

it seems the HIMD discs are glued together at only one side. I did another transplant yesterday and now I didn't trash the HIMD casing, just be careful enough and try to do it when you have enough time. Stick a small knife in one of the sidesholes and use it as a lever. Free the three sides first and then you have to use force to break the glued part. Open the disc as like you are opening a book.

I was a bit impatient with the first disc and used almost a brute force attack and so I broke one shell. but i glued that one together and it seems to work.

btw,, the gloaves were only for the show since they were indeed powdered. i took them immeditaley off since i didn't want any dust on the discs.

btw2,, seems like i forgot the hole issue at the back of the disc. i will first try some read/write tests to see if the whole write protection issue is a problem

YES: THE DISC IS INDEED WRITE PROTECTED. ( mad.gif @ myself)

stay calm, doc, we need an IV line with saline here, adrenaline 1 mg

analyzing rhytm, everybody clear????, shock..... tuuuuuuuuuut .....

we're not giving up on you MD! (to be continued)

Edited by bwerbrou

think i will fill it with some epoxy in stead of the tape. but while wiaitng for some epoxy, i'll use the tape method smile.gif

I was thinking of using hot glue...wonder if it will stay? Thanks epoxy is probably a better idea. I have epoxy for my fly rod building might as well get them all done and just fill them in at one time.

Valder

so, it looks like bwerbrou's confirmed that you can get the hi-md's apart without trashing them too badly. that's a good sign. i might have a crack at it this weekend when i've got some time then. thanks for the update on that.

regarding the rear hole. if you epoxy it so that it's permanently filled in, don't you run the risk of accidently erasing the material at some point? perhaps i'm just being paranoid, but i think the tape method sounds more cautious. it's what i used to do with cassette tapes after recording them - break off the tabs and then put tape over them if i wanted to erase/record again.

later

nikolaus

I was thinking of using hot glue...wonder if it will stay? Thanks epoxy is probably a better idea. I have epoxy for my fly rod building might as well get them all done and just fill them in at one time.

Valder

so, it looks like bwerbrou's confirmed that you can get the hi-md's apart without trashing them too badly.  that's a good sign.  i might have a crack at it this weekend when i've got some time then.  thanks for the update on that.

regarding the rear hole.  if you epoxy it so that it's permanently filled in, don't you run the risk of accidently erasing the material at some point?  perhaps i'm just being paranoid, but i think the tape method sounds more cautious.  it's what i used to do with cassette tapes after recording them - break off the tabs and then put tape over them if i wanted to erase/record again.

later

nikolaus

in those two years I use MD, I have NEVER used the write portection tab ever, so I don't use this old-school-audio-cassette-era-like-write-protection-hole anyway smile.gif

Edited by bwerbrou

guess i'm just paranoid about my md's then. i've always used the write protection tabs - even going back the my pre-netmd days smile.gif

in those two years I use MD, I have NEVER used the write portection tab ever, so I don't use this old-school-audio-cassette-era-like-write-protection-hole anyway smile.gif

very entertaining thread indeed.

i had to try it out myself immediately, and it worked. glue is still drying, but i'm rather shure that it worked...

after a while of fiddling with a knife, i switched over to using my fingernails, got more feeling in them...

soft violence is the keyword.

my hi-md case also survived.

seems like a full success, thanks a lot for this wonderful idea ! good.gif

very entertaining thread indeed.

i had to try it out myself immediately, and it worked. glue is still drying, but i'm rather shure that it worked...

after a while of fiddling with a knife, i switched over to using my fingernails, got more feeling in them...

soft violence is the keyword.

my hi-md case also survived.

seems like a full success, thanks a lot for this wonderful idea ! good.gif

i fixed the problem of the hole by putting some silicone paste in it (the same silicone that my father uses in the bathroom for the bath and so) it works like a dream, but i can't put the write protect tab on anymore, but I don't mind that.

glue's dry now, and everything works !

i used the scotch tape method, since it needs no time to dry, and is removable.

and i'm bothered, that the "sensor" might be damaged by solid material, since the write protection tab is not entirely flat in the original.

-a solid flat material might apply pressure to that sensor, scotch tape is a little flexible, and therefore would not apply such pressure. maybe that silicone is flexible enough anyways but i don't like the smell of it, i'd prefer quick-epoxy.

but one could use that for the standard md in hi-md case, only by filling the slider with such material, and cutting off the hi-md part of the slider.

too much work for my lazy ass anyways, scotch tape is perfectly suitable for my purposes...