What Would You Like to See In 3rd Gen Hi-MD?

Rate this topic

Skradgee

The new rebadged/repainted/Macified RH10 and 910s are already filling the wants listed here, though more as an accessory bundle than anything else. At the very least, I think this is a step in the proper direction. Sony realizes that the iPod and other DAPs have left a void that no other media has filled since the cassettes--easy to record and use media (which can be blamed on many forces, including Sony itself).

At anyrate, thanks to the new SonicStage 3.2, we have a better vision (or conjectural material) of where HiMD could be heading.

1. Content Uploading.

With the removal of the recorded material uploading cap, the HiMD now becomes a viable prosumer/low end recording material gear. The "obvious" next step is for MP3 recording and uploading, but we'll see where this goes.

After all, if they want to capture the 'podcasting' market, you have to make this is dead-pan easy as possible...

Which comes to the next item.

2. Functional Software

With SonicStage 3.2, Sony's added couple of items. One of which was already discussed, the removal of uploading cap. The other crucial item is that OpenMG is getting slightly more open with the optional ability to remove "DRM." Not sure if this is functional as we think it is, but if it at least allows user to upload certain songs from one of thier computer to another with SonicStage, this makes management of music more flexible among multi-PC setup.

I do dearly hope that Sony realizes that, nowadays, some households may have more PCs than TVs (and will in the near future, a lot more households). Hopefully, this will translate into more widespread acceptance of HiMD and Atrac products in general.

The added bitrate is a very nice feature. Hopefully, the new bitrates will result in improved quality overtime like the original ATRAC codec. Perhaps in another couple of years, we'll perhaps marvel at how HiLP sounds much better than 128kbps AAC or what not. I also think that the variable bitrate would signal that a higher capacity media may not be in the work for the near future.

3. Industrial Design

Sony was at one point, known for their industrial design. I'm probably in the minority (not here, but in general) that NH1 looks better than iPod. However, I won't disagree with those who say that iPod is dead easy to use (though a bit scatter-brained, IMO).

Remember the tape walkmans? Press Play, you got your music, press stop, you stopped your tape, etc. Dead easy to use. iPods have that same, easy to use design. By Contrast, the NH1 is cluttered and somewhat counterintuititive (whattaya mean I have to press the nipple?).

I don't suggest that Sony make it dead simple like Tape Walkman, but make it more accessible. A Dedicated Play and Stop button, Fwd and Rwd buttons, menu button, and volume control easily accessible. No holding buttons 2 or 3 seconds for something that could be done in two or three presses. Or something to that effect.

4. Legacy

Keep legacy playback (pop in a MD disc, you can listen to it all you like), but I think the RH910 was a step forward in simplifying the recording experience. You either get SP (PCM), MP (HiSP), or LP (HiLP... yea). While the hard-core recorders here are probably expecting the new bitrates to show up in the next generation recorders, I wonder if this could complicate things furthermore?

Easiest way to solve this? Bring back the Advanced/Simple menu. Keep it Simple for most users, and give the strict three levels of recording. If you need it, access the Advanced Menu, and set accordingly.

5. Video

With rumors of iPod Video, a fair success of the UMD with PSP, it seems like the next logical step for HiMD (Audio->Photo) is video. Dunno if this is a grand idea however, as portable video is still a fairly nascent market (at least with new media. DVD has a well entrenched mobile market, and knocking that off maybe like knocking off Gameboys off the minds and hearts of all gamers.

Still, the PSP/UMD looks like a strong contender for mobile video, so perhaps Sony may be placing the HiMD as a logical recordable solution for portable video.

One thing though, the UMD disc format and HiMD are incompatible, so this leads to the next logical question.

6. Consolidation?

Something that's been discussed here, elsewhere, is the consolidation of HiMD and UMD. Would this be a logical step?

7. The laws of physics.

This, of course, won't have any bearing on what is the most requested feature, faster speed for writing and such. Not to say that they can't eeke out extra mbps here and there, but I think this is one area where not much else can be done. After all, they had several years to make this a reality with NetMD (at least three or four) and nothing much has been to make faster speed a reality.

At anyrate, looking at what's going on now can help us to see what's next. Much like how D-NE series of ATRAC CD Players gave us a hint at what was to come for HiMDs, the current SonicStage and RH series (along with the M series) may give us the hint at what is to come.

Hey, Sony.

You use low power motors when it comes to battery powered playback or recording to extend the life of the battery. Not bad.

How about a blazingly fast hi-power mode used only when the unit is running on USB power in order to upload even faster?

Some sort of lossless codec. Either Atrac Lossless, or FLAC. Come on. It's not like you'll have to pay for using it anyway.

I'd love to see either an 'ultra-low' mic sensitivity setting or a bias voltage (plug-in power) from the line-in. This would make carrying around an attenuator / a battery module/-box for recording loud music through an electret microphone to a large extent unnecessary.

as I also just answered to this (your post aswell) in another thread...USB2 would be useless, as it is the writing process itself that is slow (even slower than USB1.1)

Yeah I know. But as a data storage medium USB 1.1 is too slow. If want to put a 200MB file on there it just takes too long in USB1.1 . So it means carrying another device. MD is only for music. Of course if you only need a few mb then may its ok. But I'd just email that kinda data to myelf.

• 5 weeks later...

What Would You Like To See In 3rd Gen Hi-md?, suggestions, requests, etc.

How about user programmable buttons on the unit as well as on the

remote. At least one or two of them so every user can fast access the

menus/functions he needs the most. But please then make it accessible

to every function. Even like 'type an "a"'.

Someone might need it if he wants to title the tracks like this:

1. a

2. aa

3. aaa

who knows? wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Sony just make a jb940 , ja 20Es based HImd deck ,car HImd unit , 3MEGA pixel/video (500kbps is OK for mpeg2 SQ quality) version of mz dh10P, and you will boost sail of HImd blanks!!!

I am not looking for a lot here- lol

~ My RH10 came with a shoddy remote that is spoiling the product :(

~ I like the equalisers, but I really miss my super & mega base functions that I had on my old MD.

~ This mite sound trivial, but more than 4 notches of baterry life: the RH10 has a single block that could go down at small intervils: currently its just the same as the old one: full; 3/4; half then flashing!! my £40 NAPA solid state WMA player can do better than this

~ My beloved side car: just how securly attached is it with that tiny screw thing. a clip of some kind would be better.

One of the best features of MD player over other things in MY oppinion was that the battery did not need charged every 4-6 hours. but the new Hi-MD does actually use a lot of battery. I used to switch my player on as i went to sleep and it was about half full in the morning (on a single rechargeable AA.)

The new gm-sticky things just dont seam to do that, yet they are classed as higher amp rating

Also please make those 1GB disks more affordable: dont you dare tell me they are 6 times more expensive to produce!! >:o

Edited by Alexx

id like to see all of the models backlit

larger compacity disks

better sonicstage software (or i want sony to just let other progs to use atrac3plus)

being able to choose the compression rate

remotes on all models

the ability to have sub-groups

longer battery life

acdc power on all models

and a cradle for it for wen ur transferring music

and more models available locally (i went to the sony store and they only had the cheapest one)

Not sure if this has been suggested (so my apologies if so) but what if the recorders had, say... 32 MB of internal memory for recording onto. My idea is that when the unit nears the end of a disc while recording live material, the unit switches over to the internal memory seamlessly, allowing you to change discs without missing anything in your recording. 32 MB would give around 3 minutes of recording time in PCM mode (if my quick math is correct) which would be plenty of time to switch discs, even in the dark.

I know this will NEVER happen as Sony has yet to cater to the live recording crowd... but it's a nice thought anyway. Of course, 2+ GB discs would most likely make this completely unnecessary, but in lieu of larger discs, I think this is a pretty good idea.

I would like to see a 3rg gen model that has:

1. Solide aluminum body (not magnesium) - I don't care if it is heavy.

2. Internal AA battery - I don't care if it is a bit bulky

3. Same support for languages as the Japanese models - no nerfed U.S. model

4. A color screen like the DH10P has - that should be standard across the line

5. True line out.

6. Univerals power supply

7. The same remote that the Japanese get - not the gimped U.S. models

Things I would like to see [yes I'm probably repeating things others have suggested, but anyways, but this is the view of a NH700 user ;-]:

• Backlight backlight backlight
  • Wireless transfer would be nice
  • Recording settings saved - This is a real annoyance
  • Compressed PCM [double time! well almost]
  • Perhaps some crossloading feature [send pictures / data from phones or other devices to my md]
  • A software based solution of the kind of quality of something like Winamp [something which supported winamp plugins would make some people very happy]
  • The software could allow people to "dj" with an md
  • The ability to playback pictures and or audio from an MD disc in a slide projector type way
  • Better quality analog recording, I use my MD for audio recording of natural sound sources and other related things, being able to do this better would pretty much guarentee I bought another one
  • I don't want a camera in the device. Keeping view finders etc clean is an issue when I usually record with the device in my pocket. Something of a low resolution with highly visible barrel warp etc would not appeal at all
  • Less recorder noise. At the moment I use the bonus supplied bag etc to muffle/remove it. I'd also prefer if the accessories bags didn't have "MD" on them in such huge type to.
  • A microphone from Sony which works with MD which has a fuller range 20hz-20khz or 80hz-20khz please!
  • I quite like the wheel on current units, so don't go killing the thing and putting in a huge number of buttons instead
  • The ability to transfer with a few clicks without having the whole sonicstage business

Stratman ;)

I would like to see better sound like a 6 band qualizer for listening to HiMD's and MD's. I also would like to

see a real good AM/FM/TV/WX tuner on the new models and also some Elite models with XM or Sirius satellite Radio. I also want to see ourselves using HiMD Home Decks and also a another way to step up

to 5 GB. Maybe in the future we can use our new HiMD's to store home movies in DVD format and watch them without them getting ruined by dust and debris, like regular DVD+R's I also want to see coaxal outputs

and optical outputs and inputs. Also cut down on DRM cause we own our CD's and our performances it messes up the recording and creates errors. I would also like to see some HiMD portable with built in mics

and stereo mics since other tape recorders have them. And above all I have too many old cassettes, I want

MD and HiMD to live and replace CD's and cassettes in the future. Cause MD's they sound better than CDs and sound alot better than cassettes. and also please find ways to get more prerecorded box sets on HiMD

or MD cause you can fit 2 CDs in 1 MD using LP4 mode. Thanks. :)