Europeans: Boost the Volume of the NW-A3000/1000

Rate this question

Christopher

Question

Just like the NW-HD# hacks to defeat the European output limitation, there is a service mode trick that will do the same for the NW-A3000 and NW-A1000 as well. No word yet on the NW-A608, but it will most likely not be able to be changed.

Thank you very much to nw_lover for the tip.

You must first enter test mode, as instructed (ignore step three for now):

ALC3.jpg

Proceed to alter the setting accordingly:

ALC1.jpg

Turn the unit off afterwards via the directions in step 3.

• Answers 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Heyy all, is there a way I can manage this without having to use the artist link button?

I may have broken mine, jammed.

Because I am a bit of a spaz.

Remote for A3000 might work ,but I don't think without pressing artist link button you can enter service mode .

:mellow: I've just bought my 2nd 3000 and it has a much later serial number than my first. You can get into service mode in the usual way, but the menu is quite different. OTHERS takes you to G test & V. AUDIO takes you to various options, including MAXOUT. This in turn gives an option of ON/OFF. Changing the setting does increase the volume, but not to the level of my other unit. Another option is SPL (?sound pressure level?) but I can't find any sub-menus to change this.

A little progress, but also a little disappointment!

Anyone else help?!!

Hi, does anyone know if there's a similar volume-boost hack for the NW-A1200? Thanks

I tried the same hack on my NW-A1200 and it worked as scripted, except that one direction within the test menu was different. But changing from ON to OFF made absolutely no difference to the volume.

Then as I was fiddling with the EQ, I discovered that there is a standard menu item under SETTINGS to toggle the AVLS on and off. And that confirmed that I had indeed had it turned off. But the volume is unchanged (ie. still pathetic). It's barely adequate for listening at home, but hopeless if you're in any situation where there is ambient noise.

I am looking at the new 808. Will that have the same problem?

Cheers

I tried the same hack on my NW-A1200 and it worked as scripted, except that one direction within the test menu was different. But changing from ON to OFF made absolutely no difference to the volume.

Then as I was fiddling with the EQ, I discovered that there is a standard menu item under SETTINGS to toggle the AVLS on and off. And that confirmed that I had indeed had it turned off. But the volume is unchanged (ie. still pathetic). It's barely adequate for listening at home, but hopeless if you're in any situation where there is ambient noise.

I am looking at the new 808. Will that have the same problem?

Cheers

Hi & welcome to ATRACLife

The AVLS has nothing to do with the volume capping. Are you sure you carried out the procedure correctly, as you should notice a difference.

The NW-A8xx range does not suffer from the Euro capping.

Hi & welcome to ATRACLife

The AVLS has nothing to do with the volume capping. Are you sure you carried out the procedure correctly, as you should notice a difference.

The NW-A8xx range does not suffer from the Euro capping.

Thanks for the welcome. Nice informative forum.

I got into the correct menu as scripted, and was able to toggle between ON and OFF for SP SET, and then pressed PLAY/PAUSE and then BACK which switched it off. When turned it on again, and tried the process a 2nd time, SP SET was already set to OFF, which implied that it worked. But the volume still only goes to 30, and more importantly, is exactly the same loudness. I had it at 30 when doing the change, so it was easy to tell if there was a difference.

Any other suggestions?

PS: I'm delighted to hear that the 808 does not have the cap. That'll be the next birthday or Xmas present.

Thanks for the welcome. Nice informative forum.

I got into the correct menu as scripted, and was able to toggle between ON and OFF for SP SET, and then pressed PLAY/PAUSE and then BACK which switched it off. When turned it on again, and tried the process a 2nd time, SP SET was already set to OFF, which implied that it worked. But the volume still only goes to 30, and more importantly, is exactly the same loudness. I had it at 30 when doing the change, so it was easy to tell if there was a difference.

Any other suggestions?

PS: I'm delighted to hear that the 808 does not have the cap. That'll be the next birthday or Xmas present.

I have carried out this procedure on both an A1000 and an A1200 with great success. The volume on both was greatly improved. It sounds as if you are doing it properly as you say the SP setting goes from "on" to "off". Im afraid I have no other suggestions. Are you using the stock buds, if not what are you using? With the volume set at 30 and using the stock buds, it should blow your ear drums out once you have carried out the procedure.

I have carried out this procedure on both an A1000 and an A1200 with great success. The volume on both was greatly improved. It sounds as if you are doing it properly as you say the SP setting goes from "on" to "off". Im afraid I have no other suggestions. Are you using the stock buds, if not what are you using? With the volume set at 30 and using the stock buds, it should blow your ear drums out once you have carried out the procedure.

Interesting point. I have never used the stock earphones since the first day. Mostly I used an older CD Walkman set with the coloured loop over the head, because they work for running, and more recently a set of Sennheiser ones that loop over the ears. These are the ones I tried the hack with, and then I tried again with my Sennheiser HDR130 wireless headset.

Perhaps I'll go and search for the original buds. I have them somewhere. Just to rule it in or out.

Thanks again

as my wife would say "Well, ruffle my hair and call me Frankie" ... (who knows, it's some Aussie expression to be used in this type of eye-opening situation!!) ... I found the original buds and you're right ... they're really loud at 30.

I didn't realise that it would vary some much between headphones ... I guess I need to read up on compatibility of headphone output and headphone requirements.

Ciao

as my wife would say "Well, ruffle my hair and call me Frankie" ... (who knows, it's some Aussie expression to be used in this type of eye-opening situation!!) ... I found the original buds and you're right ... they're really loud at 30.

I didn't realise that it would vary some much between headphones ... I guess I need to read up on compatibility of headphone output and headphone requirements.

Ciao

Yes, the supplied phones that come with that unit are quite good. Are you happy with the output now?

Yes, the supplied phones that come with that unit are quite good. Are you happy with the output now?

Using the original buds, yes. But with the Sennheisers, it's better but not likely to dislodge any earwax. But that's partly because it's tough to get the buds parts to sit properly into the ear. Same problem with most sports ones, apart from the bright yellow over the head types that I used to have, but they eventually broke, and I can't seem to find them in shops anymore (at least not here in Geneva). They were great because the buds sat in the ear facing forward which was very effective for minimising loss of sound. Not necessarily the greatest quality but minimal loss for running etc.

Thanks for your help and guidance.

Ciao

Using the original buds, yes. But with the Sennheisers, it's better but not likely to dislodge any earwax. But that's partly because it's tough to get the buds parts to sit properly into the ear. Same problem with most sports ones, apart from the bright yellow over the head types that I used to have, but they eventually broke, and I can't seem to find them in shops anymore (at least not here in Geneva). They were great because the buds sat in the ear facing forward which was very effective for minimising loss of sound. Not necessarily the greatest quality but minimal loss for running etc.

Thanks for your help and guidance.

Ciao

If you are looking to upgrade your phones, I would recommend the Sennheiser PX100-(on ear head band type) or the Sennheiser CX300-(in ear type). Both affordable good quality phones.

ah help!!! i done de hack ages ago thankfully from reading this. i updated to firmware 3.00 and checked. thankfuly still there!!! but..... i changed from connect to sonicstage there and well i went to check but couldnt find 'SP set' instead i pressed the wrong thing and ended up blasting my ears using a tester i think. i hope my hearing stops ringing soon lol anyway, anyone else have this prob?

hey guyz

i am in a big problem nwwww

i entered the code i am in the menu i changed the settings to sp off but then i entered in power section and then into some option

and from there it is stuck

i CANT switch it off

i am in ddep trouble

this is my frends mp3 and he will be gettin it back tommorw

i need to knw hw to shut it off

i tried that back key but it isnt workin

pozz help me out

plzplzplz

i am in deep trouble

plzplz help me out

hey guyz

i entered the code i am in the menu i changed the settings to sp off but then i entered in power section and then into some option

i CANT switch it off

i am in ddep trouble

pozz help me out

plzplzplz

i am in deep trouble

plzplz help me out

hey guyz

i CANT switch it off

i am in ddep trouble

pozz help me out

plzplzplz

i am in deep trouble

plzplz help me out

hey guyz

i CANT switch it off

i am in ddep trouble

pozz help me out

plzplzplz

i am in deep trouble

plzplz help me out

On 11/28/2005 at 6:45 PM, Christopher said:

Just like the NW-HD# hacks to defeat the European output limitation, there is a service mode trick that will do the same for the NW-A3000 and NW-A1000 as well. No word yet on the NW-A608, but it will most likely not be able to be changed.

Thank you very much to nw_lover for the tip.

You must first enter test mode, as instructed (ignore step three for now):

ALC3.jpg

Proceed to alter the setting accordingly:

ALC1.jpg

Turn the unit off afterwards via the directions in step 3.

pictures lose pls reupload

Let your fingers do the walking - took me 30 seconds with google:

1. Press HOLD to put the player in hold mode.
2. Hold down LINK and press in order UP, DOWN, OPTION, UP, DOWN, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, LEFT, PLAY/PAUSE, OPTION.
3. Press HOLD to turn hold off. You will now be in test mode.
4. Press RIGHT to display menu items
5. Press UP/DOWN until you get to �OTHERS�
6. Press RIGHT to display next menu.
7. Press UP/DOWN until you get to �SP SET�
8. Press PLAY/PAUSE, �ON/OFF� is displayed.
9. Press OPTION, �ON/OFF� will be selected.
10. Press PLAY/PAUSE and it will be entered.
11. Exit play mode by pressing and holding BACK for more than a few seconds, release, and then turn the player off.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-nw-a1000-nw-a3000-eu-volume-limit-unlock.283760/