SonicStage 3.2, Initial Impressions

Ishiyoshi

[Edited slightly by kurisu]

Download Sony's official Sonicstage v3.2 Installer (req. Internet to install), at Minidisc Community Downloads (req. registration at the forums):

http://forums.minidisc.org/downloads/details.php?file=23

--------

First of all, thanks to alanisrox69 for the link. I never thought I would be testing SonicStage 3.2 this weekend since its official release date was set on July 27, 2005. Nonetheless, here's my brief evaluation:

user posted image

Thanks to MDfreak, Administrator of MDcenter.nl for this diamond in the rough:

Also, it seems as if Sony has answered our prayers in regards to uploads of Live Recordings! In the past, it was required that you can only upload a self-recorded track (from an analog source) once and then Sonicstage would disallow you to transfer it further. With Sonicstage 3.2, users may enjoy unlimited uploads of tracks with no restrictions whatsoever.

Are you guys ready for the next addition? We will never see ATRAC3plus the same again as a format that only offer three bitrates: 256kbps, 64kbps and 48kbps. SonicStage 3.2 expands its band to 320kbps! Right now, we can convert CDs into ATRAC3plus in the following [bolded = new] bitrates: 320kbps, 256kbps, 192kbps, 160kbps, 128kbps, 96kbps, 64kbps and 48kbps. (* in reference to conversion speed, converting a track (WAV format) of 4:10 min to ATRAC3plus 320kbps takes about 9 secs.) However, the new bitrates cannot be used with current Hi-MD devices. Various users at ATRACLife have reported some of the new bitrates work for Sony Hard Drive disc units.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Overall, the new version is indeed a welcome improvement.

SonicStage 3.2 Module Version

SonicStage : 3.2.00.06071

SonicStage Add-on for Personal Audio Upgrade : 3.2.00.06030

OpenMG Secure Module : 4.2.00.06070

MagicGate Memory Stick Device : 4.2.00.06070

NW-E2, NW-E3, NW-E5 and NW-E8P : 4.2.00.06070

OpenMG CD : 4.2.00.06070

M.S. PRO : 4.2.00.06070

CD Walkman : 4.2.00.06070

Hi-MD : 4.2.00.06070

Music Clip, NW-S4, NW-E7 and NW-E10 : 4.2.00.06070

HDWM : 4.2.00.06070

Net MD : 4.2.00.06070

EMD Plug-in : 1.2.0.9

CD-R 書き込みモジュール(Audio CD/ATRAC CD/MP3 CD) : 3.2.00.06030

Px Engine : 2.0.60.500

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ishi, do you really think sony will come out witha new firmware for Hi MDs??? may HDD and flash they will, but HI MD??? i have my doubts on that..

still, its nice to see many options and the lack of DRM in oma files(hoping this is true)...

btw, are you using mac os x?? just wondering what that bar on the botttom of your screenshots is..

cheers

Edited by veezhun

Sounds good. But yeh I agree with veezhun. I doubt they will bring out firmware for the Hi-MD, coz if they do they will have to add mp3 support.

Maybe they will, maybe they were just waiting for the release of the 2nd Gen, and good sales from then, and then to release firmware, so everyone thought no mp3 for 1st Gen Hi-MD, so they buy 2nd Gen, and now sales have plateued out... they release firmware? tongue.gif

ishi, do you really think sony will come out witha new firmware for Hi MDs??? may HDD and flash they will, but HI MD??? i have my doubts on that..

still, its nice to see many options and the lack of DRM in oma files(hoping this is true)...

btw, are you using mac os x?? just wondering what that bar on the botttom of your screenshots is..

cheers

I really hope they will release the necessary firmware; it just make sense to do so.

I am using WinXP Pro SP2 with additional customized themes, Yz' Dock and Konfabulator. wink.gif

Excellent information as always, Ishiyoshi.

For the hopefuls: It's doubtful that these new bitrates will be available to first and second generation Hi-MD. Most likely for the third generation, which will hypothetically have no ability to write in regular MD mode and fully in Hi-MD mode.

I'd like to learn more about DRM + *.oma's..

For the hopefuls: It's doubtful that these new bitrates will be available to first and second generation Hi-MD. Most likely for the third generation, which will hypothetically have no ability to write in regular MD mode and fully in Hi-MD mode.

that sounds like the sony we have all come to know, yes. but do allow people to dream wink.gif

i would love to see sony drop drm requirements for mp3 files as they would then see the salesnumbers shoot thru the roof by my guesstimates. they would open up the market not only to windows users but any os out there that supports usb mass storage devices!

but with the piracy paranoia that goes around these days it seems the only companys that can put out stuff like these are south korean ones that do not have any times to a record studio...

Edited by hobgoblin

Hey,

did you happen to try a damaged file on a disc, one that says "cannot play"? Does it playback or convert if you did?

I hope this version plays them back !! I lost a very important recording and am hoping to rescue it from the "cannot play" problem.

-Derek-

Sorry, I do not have a damaged file on disc to test your request.

So if you convert a file to Atrac 128k and try to transfer it to a HDD or MD device, what happens?

The file in question will convert to the default bit rate setting of your choice. If you already set it at 256kbps, the ATRAC3plus 128kbps file will be converted to 256kbps accordingly.

Right now, we can convert CDs into ATRAC3plus in the following bitrates: 320kbps, 256kbps, 192kbps, 160kbps, 128kbps, 96kbps, 64kbps and 48kbps. (* in reference to conversion speed, converting a track (WAV format) of 4:10 min to ATRAC3plus 320kbps takes about 9 secs.)

Hey that is pretty fast, just 9s? I'm curious what CPU is your machine using?

Excellent information as always, Ishiyoshi.

I'd like to learn more about DRM + *.oma's..

SonicStage 3.2 does give you an option to add DRM or not to add DRM when you transfer songs from CDs.

My desktop is somewhat dated: P4 2.8 GHz with 2GB 400DDR PC-3200. If you are interested, I can try similar task with my Sony TR5B subnotebook: it runs on ULV P-M 1.1 GHz with 1GB memory.

Not bad 9s on a P4 2.8 smile.gif The P-M 1.1 will probably be a little longer, especially since it is a music encoding task and it is "only" a 1.1Ghz P-M. I have a P4 running at 3.2Ghz myself so that 9s would be even less which is pretty good considering the average compression rate I get for MP3 with --alt preset insane is something like 12x I think (so for a 4min track it would be around 21s or so).

OT: Those VAIO T-Class laptops are quite nice eh? smile.gif I was looking at a recent model T-class in the store the other day and noticed there is also a VAIO S-class which is a bit bigger than the T but not by too much. I think if I ever get a laptop something in the VAIO S line (or similar) would be what I'd get...

seems very like 3.1. i do like the little intro at the start explaining the dif. between the sorting in versions prior to 3.1.

with the english version omgjbox encoding cd->atrac3+256kbs without DRM is using 80,000k of memory

having allready installed 3.2 over the top of 3.1 i was alarmed to learn i had to initialise my vaio pocket to use it. htis will be at best an inconvenience, at worst you may need to use the backup tool or reimport any music you'd deleted of the computer [hypothetically of course, bastards].

htis will be at best an inconvenience, at worst you may need to use the backup tool or reimport any music you'd deleted of the computer [hypothetically of course, bastards].

1. where did you get the english version?

2. translation for the above quote please smile.gif

well i'm pissed off. some files i'd imported into sonicstage via my desktop i'd deleted to save space then my vaio pocket was refused by the new sonicstage3.2 until i initialised it. so i will now have to reimport 5-8gigs of mp3s into sonicstage, retag some, reorganise album covers &c.

http://www.aii.co.jp/contents/sonic/_data/...geInstaller.exe

atrain, could you try to encode a cd in atrac3plus at 320 kbps and see how that sounds comapred to Hi SP?? am just curious about these new bit rates....

ishi, a small listening test for all of us would be highly appreciated...

thanks in advance

cheers

tbh the diference is minimal. the 320 has a bit more 'warmth' or 'fullness' but there are no artefacts in the 256 imo. i guess you could say there is more in the soundstage but i'd be hard pressed to care irl.

tested with mos def's 'ms fat booty' that sample aretha franklin via soundblaster live -> line out -> ath-a500s

I guess both these bitrates are high enough to be transparent to most users. At least it'll be very tough to compare. Who can successfully abx wav and hi-sp anyway? The difference between 256k and 320k would be even less significant.

Nevertheless, it's good to have something in between hi-lp and hi-sp i.e. 128k atrac3+. I guess even this will be (close to) transparent for not too critical listening. I can see a listening test coming up between lp2 and a3+ 128k.

Can I just ask, what is the difference with recording on an MD, to a HDD Sony player? Is it just the biyrate is higher or what?

Because I find it a little annoying having to swap disc... etc and a 20GB HDD player would be nice... but why is it sooo bad for recording?

having allready installed 3.2 over the top of 3.1 i was alarmed to learn i had to initialise my vaio pocket to use it. htis will be at best an inconvenience, at worst you may need to use the backup tool or reimport any music you'd deleted of the computer [hypothetically of course, bastards].

That's odd. I never had to reinitialize my VAIO Pocket with the Japanese version of SonicStage 3.2. Just a note of interest, there were discussion during the release of SonicStage 3.1 that one does not need to reinitialize with the Japanese version; so this could be true since you need to do so with an English version of SonicStage 3.2.

Nonetheless, do take heed of atrain's caution.