Recovering oma files or Hi-MD Renderer error?

Rate this topic

I'll try to make this succinct. A laptop I have is no longer booting but I can get files off it including the oma files for some unconverted original recordings. I've tried converting these oma files to wav on another machine using himdrenderer .31 but get this error:

" Failed to *directly* connect source filter (omg_src) to dest filter (omg transform). "

My apologies if this is already covered somewhere here, I have googled and searched here with no luck. Details:

Intel p4

Windows XP SP1

HiMDrenderer .31

welcome to MDCF bluegreenone,

but I'm afraid you are somewhat out of luck... there isn't yet really a method known to restore them (but do not throw anything away as it might be possible in the future) even though laplace has aparently found some way of restoring them (see this post) but hasn't shared the method yet

but for future use... remember to follow this procedure and to make a backup of the master in wav or FLAC or another lossless codec

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes, that's too bad, perhaps you could clarify though. Under what circumstances does the HIMDrenderer program work, if not with these files? What step is missing?

welcome to MDCF bluegreenone,

but I'm afraid you are somewhat out of luck... there isn't yet really a method known to restore them (but do not throw anything away as it might be possible in the future) even though laplace has aparently found some way of restoring them (see this post) but hasn't shared the method yet

but for future use... remember to follow this procedure and to make a backup of the master in wav or FLAC or another lossless codec

good luck

Not the same machine ...

That's the whole point of DRM, it will only work on the original PC. (until someone find some workaround ...)

Or if you want to transfer the oma files, you should use the Tools/Backup function from SonicStage. (But it's still a good idea to convert recordings as wav/FLAC and backup those)

Yikes, that's too bad, perhaps you could clarify though.  Under what circumstances does the HIMDrenderer program work, if not with these files? What step is missing?

HiMDRenderer uses the D(igital)R(ights)M(anagement or something) info from SS, so if a file/song won't work in SS (not recognized as stemming from that PC) HiMDRenderer won't be able to convert it... at least that's what I understand from the program, but I'm no computer wiz, so better to ask marcnet (the writer of HiMDRenderer and also a member of MDCF) himself (through a Personal Message or something...but I really doubt it will work)

HiMDRenderer was intended for converting imported recordings to wav before Sony allowed this with the 'wav conversion tool' and later through SS itself... it was very useful and still is as uploaded digital recordings won't be converted by Sony stuff but will be using HiMDRenderer

there is some hope for recovering homeless (unplayable) .oma's, as a lot of ppl are working on it, but as for now the knowledge (it is out there, that I know for sure... but I do not have access to it I'm afraid) isn't public so... just keep 'em safe somewhere till someone shares the info or someone breaks through the code

1) DRM does stand for D(igital)R(ights)M(anagement)

2) If a file/song won't work in SonicStage (not recognized as stemming from that PC) then HiMDRenderer won't be able to convert it.

3) HiMDRenderer was (and still is) intended for converting imported recordings to wav. Especially uploaded digital recordings that cannot be converted by the Sony stuff.

4) The "cannot directly connect..." error means that the sony decoding DirectShow DLL is refusing to talk to any other DirectShow DLL's. It usually does this when it cannot or will not decode the input file.

5) There is no current way to restore OMA/OMG files if the DRM no longer exists or has never existed on your PC.

6) An upcoming version of my program will have HIMD and NetMD listing cabability, as well as the ability to play & record NetMD tracks via your PC soundcard (a bit like what that WinMD program can do). It will also have better error mesasages smile.gif.