Preamp Gain v. MD Level

Rate this topic

javertim

Lately, I've been thinking of purchasing a Reactive Sounds Boost Box. Now, this question may very well apply to any preamp, but it also has to do with fully adjustable gain. Basically, my question is as follows. Which of the below scenarios is better?

Preamp Gain = 10 dB

MD Rec Level = 20/30

Preamp Gain = 20 dB

MD Rec Level = 10/30

I realize that Gain and Recording Levels are two totally different animals, but I am a little lost here. Is it better to have your MD's manual levels as high as possible and then set the gain from there, or is it best to keep the gain as high as possible and set the manual level accordingly? This is all in interest of getting the most noise-free (hiss-free) recording possible as far as the external preamp is concerned.

I generally find it difficult to comprehend to the super-technical jargon of audio theory, so if anyone could please simplify this for me it would be greatly appreciated. :-) Thanks a bunch!

Tim

Hi Tim.

Yes it can get confusing and overwhelming. Try this out:

When using the Boost box or any other pre-amp for that matter you should set the external pre-amp to it's maxium position (before it begins to clip), then adjust the MD internal recording level to the maxiumum. If you find that the external pre-amp is overloading the MD recorder, back off the recording level on the MD recorder until it is approx 6db below the clipping point.

Your running a line out signal. It requires no further amplification, thus you should run it hot into your recorder and reduce the signal if it is too high.

I hope that helps

Gerry

Lately, I've been thinking of purchasing a Reactive Sounds Boost Box.  Now, this question may very well apply to any preamp, but it also has to do with fully adjustable gain.  Basically, my question is as follows.  Which of the below scenarios is better?

Preamp Gain = 10 dB

MD Rec Level = 20/30

Preamp Gain = 20 dB

MD Rec Level = 10/30

I realize that Gain and Recording Levels are two totally different animals, but I am a little lost here.  Is it better to have your MD's manual levels as high as possible and then set the gain from there, or is it best to keep the gain as high as possible and set the manual level accordingly?  This is all in interest of getting the most noise-free (hiss-free) recording possible as far as the external preamp is concerned.

I generally find it difficult to comprehend to the super-technical jargon of audio theory, so if anyone could please simplify this for me it would be greatly appreciated. :-)  Thanks a bunch!

Tim

You may be right, however Line Level standard is all over the place. It's different on every piece of equipment out there. Where do you read about 16/30 being a standard?

Thanks

Gerry

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that 16/30 is standard line level and that if you have to be using 13/30 or less, you are probably overloading the MDs input at the outset - so lower the incoming signal.

Lately, I've been thinking of purchasing a Reactive Sounds Boost Box.  Now, this question may very well apply to any preamp, but it also has to do with fully adjustable gain.  Basically, my question is as follows.  Which of the below scenarios is better?

Preamp Gain = 10 dB

MD Rec Level = 20/30

Preamp Gain = 20 dB

MD Rec Level = 10/30

I realize that Gain and Recording Levels are two totally different animals, but I am a little lost here.  Is it better to have your MD's manual levels as high as possible and then set the gain from there, or is it best to keep the gain as high as possible and set the manual level accordingly?  This is all in interest of getting the most noise-free (hiss-free) recording possible as far as the external preamp is concerned.

I generally find it difficult to comprehend to the super-technical jargon of audio theory, so if anyone could please simplify this for me it would be greatly appreciated. :-)  Thanks a bunch!

Tim

Hi Tim,

After recording line-in on my MD player (assuming it's the same for the new Hi-MD units) I've come to the theory that the recording level on my Sony MD player is 0db at 15.

So subtract 15 from the recording level to get the gain you are applying to the signal.

Based on that the first scenario above is preferred. Add 10dB with the booster box, then if you need more gain you can add it by setting the recording level from 15 to 30. That gives you a combined range of +10dB to +25dB.

The second scenario is not as good. You really don't want to add 20dB with the booster box and end up with a signal that's too hot to record at 0dB (recording level=15 on the MD).

Todd in Buffalo