My Sony MD MZ-NH700 quicky review

Rate this topic

I bought my MZ-NH700 from the Future Shop here in Canada just under a year ago for about $250 Cdn +/- and have not been disappointed. I looked around for about two weeks before browsing various mp3 players etc and settled on it simply because I didn't need 20 gigs of space as with Ipod but needed more than 256mb.

Its also a neat little well designed unit that fits in my hand, allows me to access all the controls with thumb and very durable since I've been butter fingered with it at least a few times and not so much as a scratch or a skip. The headphones that came with it suck though and I've used my own good quality Sony one's as replacements.

Power is good since it takes only 1 AA battery and with a good quality energizer or duracell can last with moderate use close to a month. That and if your battery dies, its easy to find a replacement unlike lithium.

Sound quality if great but I'm not finicky there. As long as it plays clearly I'm happy.

Another thing I like are the discs themselves. A 1 gig disc is $10cdn, you can make mixes/recordings and label them easily, it acts as portable 1 gig hard-drive and can't be scratched like cd's.

My only problem with it is not the unit but Sony's openmg recording. Since you can't transfer mp3's directly and they need to be converted, it means you have to find and delete them afterwards since I can't find a windows music player thats plays openmg files.

The price should also come down. Comparable hard-drive units are now coming out that are cheaper and just as good and even I've been tempted by the Ipod or other Sony MP3 players, but I wouldn't go out of my way to trade in/replace my MD for one.

Cheers!