Hi-MD vs MD

Rate this topic

glitch

Just a quick question from a newbie...

Does Hi-MD allow you to record a mix CD and play back the tracks seamlessly, without adding gaps between them? So, in effect, would I be able to use the increased storage space of the Hi-MD and still get the wonderful benefits of MD - being able to play a mix CD back without annoying gaps between the tracks, something the iPods (et-al) of this world just cannot do.

Just in case I'm not making myself clear - the monkeys at my local Sony centre just stared at me and scratched their heads - I want to be able to record a mix CD with, let's say 20 tracks on, that plays back as one seamless track but allows me to skip between the individual component tracks at will.

And if so, would I be able to fit multiple albums onto one Hi-MD, flick between mixes and also flick between tracks within these mixes?

Any help would be appreciated.

Apologies if this has been covered before (I searched, to little avail) so if it has you can just point me in the right direction and mock me behind my back.

One wav file to your MD, in PCM I guess, then chopping it into little bits would do this.

MD does not make gaps, nor does HiMD. However putting mp3s, or other gappy formats, and transfering them into ATRAC or just on to a ATRAC device won't make them gapless.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the welcome.

Not sure what you mean by PCM though.

Basically, I'm wanting to record all my mix CD's and stick them onto Hi-MD to save some space. I usually carry around 8 MDs with me at any one time (can never make my mind up!) and seriously need to save some space. I don't really go in for the whole MP3 thing, so gappy formats aren't really a problem.

Mind you, I've got some Ogg Vorbis files that play back sans-gaps. Hmm...

just make one long wav of the mix and mount it as a disc image with trackmarks (with nero/eac,...)... use Simple Burner to get it on HiMD and you'll have no gaps whatsoever

you will have each mix as a folder and each track as a track, and you can switch between all of them