Plug in power and Phantom power?

Rate this topic

rockruler

Hey everyone-

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this topic for me. I own a Sony MZ-NH1 Hi-MD recorder and I want to use it with studio quality condenser microphones. Is this possible via the plug in power through the mic input jack? Will the microphone work properly or is there not enough voltage to power it?

Would I need to purchase a separate phantom power box with a built in preamp to connect a condenser mic to my minidisc recorder?

Thanks for any tips,

George. wacko.gif

If you need Phantom Power 48v, you won't get it from the Mic Input on the MD unit. That Mic Input gives bias voltage (5v to 9v) and will not power mics that require Phantom power. You will need an external phantom power or preamp then connect to the MD unit via LINE INPUT, not MIC INPUT.

Hey everyone-

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this topic for me.  I own a Sony MZ-NH1 Hi-MD recorder and I want to use it with studio quality condenser microphones.  Is this possible via the plug in power through the mic input jack?  Will the microphone work properly or is there not enough voltage to power it?

Would I need to purchase a separate phantom power box with a built in preamp to connect a condenser mic to my minidisc recorder?

Thanks for any tips,

George.  wacko.gif

What mic? Some don't need it if they are battery powered themselves (Nak CM300's for instance)

I am actually considering purchasing a c-ducer contact microphone. I like to do sound effect and field recording and this mic is pretty neat. It picks up vibrations through surfaces-an interesting way of recording!

They sell two models-one is a battery powered unit that has a 1/4" jack as output. The other is balanced XLR type that requires phantom power... Was hoping to purchase the latter one because it would probably yield better results but not sure if plug in power would be enough to power it...

Any ideas??

George.

I am actually considering purchasing a c-ducer contact microphone.  I like to do sound effect and field recording and this mic is pretty neat.  It picks up vibrations through surfaces-an interesting way of recording!

They sell two models-one is a battery powered unit that has a 1/4" jack as output.  The other is balanced XLR type that requires phantom power...  Was hoping to purchase the latter one because it would probably yield better results but not sure if plug in power would be enough to power it...

Any ideas??

George.

Those are some crazy mics! Flexible?! Very cool.

I'd contact the company and see what they think.

Personally, I think unless you're in an electrically noisy place it won't make a difference. Even then ,the unbalanced mics are still sheilded.

On the other hand, the balanced connections are more professional and universal.

I'd bounce the original question you asked off the c-ducer people. They would be the ones to know.

Hi

For use phantom powered mics - see the topic posted a couple of weeks ago which discussed this.

Briefly - a phantom powered mic will need a separate 48V phantom supply (ART phantom II appears to be a good choice). The signal output will be balanced and needs adapting to an unbalanced lead and then connecting to the Mic input on the HiMD recorder.

If you want to feed into Line-In, you'll need a separate mic pre-amp as well. Previous posts have shown that this is not needed 'cos the HiMD preamps (in NH-900 and RH-10, at least) are noise free.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

One more question, if you can answer for me...

I need to fashion an XLR female connector to the 1/8" connector plug for the minidisc mic in. What should the connections be:

hot -> tip

cold -> ring

ground -> sleeve

??

Because the XLR connector is balanced how should this be wired?

Thanks for your help

George blink.gif

Hi George.

About wiring. A couple of points:

- a 3 pin XLR is mono. 3.5mm mini jack with tip-ring-sleeve is stereo

- so I assume you want to connect the mic output to both left and right channels of the Hi MD input?

Any way:

XLR pin2 (hot) goes to mini jack tip or ring (or both for double mono input in HiMD)

XLR pin 3 (cold) goes to mini jack sleeve

XLR pin 1 (ground) also goes to mini jack sleeve.

Ideally you should have an unbalancing resistor (~10kohm) between XLR pin 3 and ground - but this doesn't seem to be critical when I've omitted it, and Sony don't have one in their stereo XLR-to-mini jack lead for the ECM959 microphone. As a minijack plug is tight for space, the resistor can be fitted inthe XLR end of the lead if you choose to fit it.

Others on these pages have said that the easiest way to wire up a lead is to buy a commercial mini jack- to-phono (RCA) lead. Cut off the phono plugs and wire an XLR to that end. Much less fiddly.

Thanks AllanH for the wiring info,

George

Thanks everyone for the tips.

One more question, if you can answer for me...

I need to fashion an XLR female connector to the 1/8" connector plug for the minidisc mic in.  What should the connections be:

hot -> tip

cold -> ring

ground -> sleeve

??

Because the XLR connector is balanced how should this be wired?

Thanks for your help

George  blink.gif