Hi-MD, Bye-MD?

Christopher

I am a Minidisc Blanks Collector and are worried about Sony killing Minidisc.

I have owned 3 Minidisc walkmans, 1 Minidisc deck and 1 Minidisc Orange sanyo boombox w/battery.

Currenly i own : Sony MZ-R 900 Net-md walkman and Sanyo orange boombox w/battery

I havent jumped on the Hi-md train yet simple because i have no need for it.

I love having 4-5 Design blanks always in my pocket and i cant do that with Hi-md.

I like to say a couple of things about the "Possibility" that Sony Kills Minidisc:

1. Sony should never have gone Hi-md, People that was using Md was mostly using it recording

1 album on the disc, i dont see the problem having 3-4 disc in the pocket they are smale.

Going 1GB hi-md was a Mistake (atleast it shoud have been 10GB)

Being a collector i see a problem using all 1GB capacity on a disc since i like to use many design blanks.

2. Sony should completely depart from Sony music so that there is no conflict in copyright limitations.

copyright limitation is whats killing the minidisc slowly.

If Some legal laws force Apple and other mp3 players brand to "BLOCK" copyrighted mp3

to be downloaded to their HDD players , People will start mass-using Minidisc and i will ROFL :)

Minidisc will never be tuched by such problem except the limitation it already have

which i never found a problem with. (until Minidisc get very popular thats it)

There is no need in using Copyright laws MOST people DONT want it

they want download music FREE , and the rest want to pay for it download it :)

Why dont give people what they want, is no use forcing law on people.

Conclusion: People will always atempt download music for free as often they drink a coke can.

3. The way i started to listen to music was always "ON-THE-MOVE" so portables players

was always part of my music life since i was born.

Since i loved the many Variation of Audiotape design i got into Blanks Audiocassette collection in 80s-90s

When Tape slowly died in 1998 i moved over to MINIDISC and started collect blanks.

MAN, do you know how many cool Minidisc blanks media exist today , is amazing

have a look at this other minidisc media collector web (i have most blanks displayed there):

MINIDISC BLANKS GALLERY

I have All my shelfs and table FULL of Minidisc, Minidisc Freaking everywhere.

I-LUV-MINIDISC.

But now i am WORRIED part of my HOBBY is the EXCITEMENT when a Brand release

new Minidisc blanks , and i Rush to buy them.

If Minidisc DIES (Because Sony Killing Minidisc)

Then part of my Hobby Dies .

Althrough i still can get Rare OLD MD blanks that i havent got before from Md-traders

is still not the same since you know nothing NEW is comming.

and Part of the Exciting life of Collecting things is knowing something NEW will be released in the future.

In the past i could always use another format

for example when Tapes died i had choice of : Cd-s(for my discman) or get into Minidisc.

But this time there is NO alternative for Minidisc , the only thing that exist is HDD mp3 players.

MAN! i am not a Millionaire i cant Collect Mp3-players, And i want my hobby to have products

that i can cheaply collect from companies like SONY,TDK , FUJI etc....

CDs have NEVER EVER been a option for me i DONT like Cd

havent buy a CD since 1998 when i got into Minidisc, is all MP3 or Minidisc and thats how i want my life to be.

Collecting Cd is not a big option since there is not so much RARE design avaible.

Flashcards ? i dont realy like them either EXCEPT for Computer and CAMERAS (non-collection) purpose.

Maybe i could like Flashcards if they was Bigger , more collection design avaible , if they was cheaper

and more Mp3-players used flashcards.

But for now This is NOT a fact.

The only thing i though about is USB-sticks (pen drives) but they are today EXPENSIVE and only-computer.

UMD discs is another possibility (the best actually) but still it will take a WHILE until recordable UMD become avaible , if they ever do.

So if Sony go NUTS and decide KILL minidisc

I am left with This choices so far:

A- Move from Minidisc to MP3 players and start collecting those ugly Smale flashcards (i dont like this)

B- Continue using Minidisc and just be HAPPY for all the Rare old Classic blanks i find from traders and ebay

For now i pick "B" , my only solution is continue using minidisc until something else i can collect

become avaible with CUTE designs.

4. MY NEXT PLAYER?:

I don mind having a iPOD but ONLY as a EXTRA to MINIDISC

my next players will probaly be HI-MD but i DONT realy need hi-md

i only want 1 album on each disc.

The only GOOD thing i see with HI-MD is when you have to record DOUBLE-CD-ALBUMS

then it wont fit on the minidisc, or when is a LONG album and i have to cut out some songs on 80 min.

HI-MD will solve this for me.

But i need to COLLECT design blanks, so i will need a MUCH bigger inventory of Colored Hi-md blanks

of whats currently avaible.

Still i think i will get a Hi-md in 2006 instead of Net-md so i can use some Hi-md for those LONG ALBUMS.

but for the rest i will use 74/80 min Minidisc Blanks anyway.

in 2006 i will also buy a MINIDISC-DECK again from SONY (they have the best decks).

i want to remplace my SONY CD/Cass Sensor HI-FI to a SONY HI-MD Hifi (or Netmd hifi)

Now if SONY kills Minidisc they WONT stop me using minidisc

they will just make it DIFICULT for me .

and it may happen i go for other brand this time such as KENWOOD or SHARP instead of Sony.

5. START MINIDISC REVOLUTION :

I am quite Excited about my Minidisc blanks hobby

having my room shelfs full of exiting design blanks

I am hoping to get Kenwood and Technics blanks

(i may have a chance to get Technics blanks soon, but the kenwood although they exist is too rare to get)

PEOPLE WE CANT SIT AND WATCH SONY KILL MINIDISC

(If that is what Mr.stinger is planning, then he should think again)

My suggestion is : PHONE SONY JAPAN (no point in phoning sony europe or sony usa)

Ask them to pass you to someone regarding MINIDISC that can speak ENGLISH

TELL THEM OVER THE PHONE YOU WANT TO SUGEST MINIDISC TO CONTINUE

(Yea Sony staff reading this will dont like it , but hey to get a revolution we must listen to our hearts)

Instead of Spamming Sony with Emails (where most mail wont reach through)

I suggest EACH of US CALL SONY JAPAN .

I tell you if SONY JAPAN get over 10.000 phonecalls regarding Minidisc a day

they will CHANGE idea (yes they will trust me)

If WE can afford buying minidisc we CAN afford Phoning all the way to japan

you can just say a short word like

"Hey can you transfer me to someone SPEAK ENGLISH about MINIDISC"

then when you get through and KNOW the person solve Minidisc-situations

you can just say

"I LOVE MINIDISC ,PLEASE SONY DONT KILL MINIDISC"

Then you can give SONY the webadress to This forum

but probaly after 20 calls Sony will say

"Ehem Minidisc Dude we already have this web adress" :)

But, Now imagine HEADLINES in New york times

"SONY RECIVE 20.000 PHONECALLS ASKING THEM NOT TO KILL MINIDISC"

Sony will Change mind.

an Online petition is also good idea.

hey you belive Sony wont listen?

read this:

Back in the midth 90s when i was still collecting Audiotapes

SONY released a tape Called "SUPER METAL MASTER" in japan

this tape had a ALUMINIUM CASE and a tape made of ceramic.

I Phoned SONY Europe and Suggested they brough this tape to europe.

and SURPRISE some months later it was in the EUROPEAN catalog

more SURPRISE the tape had the JAPANESEE characters on it

(NONE Tape in europe have japanesee words on them)

So Basicly SONY listened to this ONE custumber

they IMPORTED this tape from Japan and started production of it in Europe

Sony super metal master was in production from 1994-2000

almost 6 years (for a High price ofcourse).

SO, SONY do listen.

MY SUGESTION TO SONY:

===================

- Split Sony Music from Sony electronics so that you dont have to worry about copyright on minidisc .

- Focus on BOTH Net-md and SOME Hi-md with Photocamera buildt in.

- open UP so other brands also can produce Hi-md (for now only Sony and Onkyo make hi-md)

- STOP releasing Hifi with Casettedecks remplace that with hifi with MINIDISC buildt in & make it GLOBAL.

- FOCUS on releasing more DESIGN blanks and make it avaible for Europe and usa too not only USA

(Example Release Bianca 2 blanks in Europe and usa not only Japan)

- Get DOWN the prices on Minidisc walkmans but AVOID lowering the Quality .

- RELEASE translucent iMAC looking HI-MD walkmans and ADVERTISE it EVERYWHERE.

- QUIT sonicstage and release good software Drag-and-drop. but with quality as MINIDISC is known for.

- FOCUS MORE ON EUROPEAN AND AMERICAN MARKED THIS TIME INSTEAD OF ONLY JAPAN

ok THATS all Lets hope the best

and finaly a Word for TAIYO YUDEN company : RELEASE MINIDISC BLANKS .

PS! My Nickname is John's Babydisc over at Minidisc t-station.

Edited by ILoveMinidisc

MY SUGESTION TO SONY:

===================

- Get DOWN the prices on Minidisc walkmans but AVOID lowering the Quality .

- RELEASE translucent iMAC looking HI-MD walkmans and ADVERTISE it EVERYWHERE.

- QUIT sonicstage and release good software Drag-and-drop. but with quality as MINIDISC is known for.

- FOCUS MORE ON EUROPEAN AND AMERICAN MARKED THIS TIME INSTEAD OF ONLY JAPAN

Why Australia not? Please, you can write this word "FOCUS MORE ON EUROPEAN, AMERICAN AND AUSTRALIA MARKED THIS TIME INSTEAD OF ONLY JAPAN"

I read that ILoveMinidisc's post is excellent!

I knew that pictures of MD blank gallery are much nice!

I have collection more format blanks (Compact Cassette K7, DAT, DCC, MD, Microcassette/Minicassette, VHS, Beta, Video 2000, 8mm, VHS-C, DV, MiniDV, CD, DVD also S-VHS(-C), Hi-8, Digital8 and DVD-RAM). All formats has recorded from TV, videocamera, Stereo Hi-Fi and computer.

I make collection for cello-phane of all formats in notebook.

Edited by betamaxDATminidisc

I dont have Sony Japan phone number

but it should be on sony Japan website somewhere

http://www.sony.co.jp

Maybe a traceroute to their website show the phonenumber :)

also you can call Japan telephone information service (i dont have it)

and ask for Sony Japan corporation or something....

should be easy is a big brand.

Edited by ILoveMinidisc

1. Sony should never have gone Hi-md, People that was using Md was mostly using it recording

1 album on the disc, i dont see the problem having 3-4 disc in the pocket they are smale.

Going 1GB hi-md was a Mistake (atleast it shoud have been 10GB)

Being a collector i see a problem using all 1GB capacity on a disc since i like to use many design blanks.

I hope you realize that you can use all types of MD-discs (60/74/80min and 1gb) in the HiMD recorders...cause I think you've been staying away from HiMD for nothing... you could use your older discs (pre-recorded or record them in standard MD or formatted as HiMD) with any HiMD model out there

I hope you realize that you can use all types of MD-discs (60/74/80min and 1gb) in the HiMD recorders...cause I think you've been staying away from HiMD for nothing... you could use your older discs (pre-recorded or record them in standard MD or formatted as HiMD) with any HiMD model out there

I know you can use All types of Md-disc in the Himd recorders.

Yea i know Hi-md is better , but still SONY have use lot of ressources on HiMD when

NET-MD still had their Loyal users , but ofcourse is cool having 1GB discs specially for long journeys

and double-albums.

But if you have a MD and mostly use it for 80 min recording then i see no need in updating just yet

thats what i mean :)

Edited by ILoveMinidisc

If I saw this I would never have bought a Hi-md last september:

Minidisc discountinued

Look at entry 128 dated Thurs. Jun. 20. 2002:

"I've learned that Sony are discontinuing the minidisc format, and soon players will be unavailable"

If it was know that MD was to discountinue way back then in 2002, why didn't we hear about it sooner???

:angry2::angry2::angry2:<_<

Edited by kalo

If I saw this I would never have bought a Hi-md last september:

Minidisc discountinued

Look at entry 128 dated Thurs. Jun. 20. 2002:

"I've learned that Sony are discontinuing the minidisc format, and soon players will be unavailable"

If it was know that MD was to discountinue way back then in 2002, why didn't we hear about it sooner???

:angry2::angry2::angry2:<_<

Look, it's 2005. Ipod will be discontinued in a few years as well... it's all relative. We're talking about disposable electronics in a day & age where your computer is obsolete a week after you buy it.

Get over it.

I have 4 hiMD machines, and love them - and they suit me TODAY perfectly.

• Like 1

If you're doing you're own records with a mic, HiMD is worth the upgrade IMO.

1. You get uncompressed PCM

2. You get hours of compressed HiSP

3. You can upload faster than realtime with USB. (the only reason for me to use SonicStage ...)

Even if it is a niche market, there is a demand for this type of use (small bands, interviewers, tappers ...) and there is little competition in that market (Creative Jukebox 3 is discontinued, same with DAT, and M-Audio is more expensive ...).

I think that HiMD should focus there (larger media would have been better), HD and Flash are dropping in price constantly, and it will only be harder to chase iPod and other players ...

On the other hand, i completly agree with the point of dropping DRM.

Look, it's 2005. Ipod will be discontinued in a few years as well... it's all relative. We're talking about disposable electronics in a day & age where your computer is obsolete a week after you buy it.

Get over it.

I have 4 hiMD machines, and love them - and they suit me TODAY perfectly.

I would get over it if sony actually removed those restrictions. You see, apple has actually LISTENED to it's customers that's why it's so successfull. Ipod has completed it's purpose and can now retire. It's cycle is over.

MD on the other hand has never fully reached it's potential and has poorly been stricted by crap software, crap advertising promotions and crap support. It's seems almost unethical to stop it now without giving us what WE (the consumers) want.

what purpose is this humoungous thread serving now? until chris gets some official and conrete news, the speculation will never end... the pages will keep increasing.. the reading will become tedious and will add no value beyond a point..

btw, i love MD for recording and am pretty sure that MD will move to a niche area called pro recording.. playback will be the forte of HDD and Flash devices.. my 2 paisa on this

I would get over it if sony actually removed those restrictions. You see, apple has actually LISTENED to it's customers that's why it's so successfull. Ipod has completed it's purpose and can now retire. It's cycle is over.

MD on the other hand has never fully reached it's potential and has poorly been stricted by crap software, crap advertising promotions and crap support. It's seems almost unethical to stop it now without giving us what WE (the consumers) want.

It's not ethics... its business. :D Well, as you pointed out, BAD business. But either way, my response was not really aimed at you; I'm just tired of everyone whining about MD dying, asking for petitions, what went wrong, blah-blah-blah.

There's nothing we can do about what is happening, so either stick to the format and enjoy it while you can and with whatever you can get your hands on, or just leave & get something else.

they just cant do that! i like the minidisc format very much and that is the reason i have chose to buy mzn-h1, which cost me alot (400$) instead of a HD based mp3.

i'd hate to see MD's dying away!

how can sony do that? they are the pioneers in everything regarding MD, and it'll be a shame if they were the ones to kill it. :angry::angry:

Well, I am going to add a positive comment instead of adding a negative one.

Hey guys and gals? What was your first MD experience?

Mine was in 1998, while living in Korea. There are electronics stores in the subways and you can shop, shop, shop! I would always walk past the minidisc units (all the colorful units and media!!!) experiencing a wonder at how something so small could hold so much music. AND..it was so revolutionary (at I thought so - had no idea it had been around for 7 years) and quasi-futuristic!

I didn't buy one til I came back to the States, a Sony player of some sort - I don't even remember which one it was. It would have been better to buy one there since they had so many more choices in Korea. I quickly replaced it with a Sony MZ-R70. I loved that unit. Solid aluminum construction, AA capability, made in Japan. It was my baby. I ended up selling it for a MZ-R900 and still regret getting rid of it to this day. Sure it was limited but it was my baby!!!!

:)

If the admin wants to move this and start a new thread..that is cool.

Joe

Edited by lamewing

When MD goes (if it does) there will be no existing alternative for people who want an affordable CD-quality recorder that is easy to use, reliable, has decent battery life, and low media costs.

On my blog I am commenting on the MicroTrack unit as it goes through its birth-throes. I will also post a MD unit review soon.

You would think there was a market niche here, but I guess it's too small for any large company to notice.

One day, a company will make a flash based mp3/ogg player, with a quality (MD standard) line in encoding, with 2-4g standard memory,FM radio and encoding, runs for hours on a standard battery, with VCR timer recording functions, and one that isnt raped by DRM and uploading restrictions.

And it wont be sony.

You mention you got it,i just start use 2 units today-Rio Unite 130 2GB.Everything is more than fine,i just don't check yet the line in quality.

Sony has to dump all the units it has before it has the guts to announce it to its loyal customers and dealers. For those of you who think that they will retain a certain model think again. Look at where the market is going.., although Sony has been known to do some pretty stupid things and disregard the trends.

You have to understand the Japanese mind to make sense of it - I don't claim to but my wife Sayoko does not make sense very often.

I'm sorry to see such a nice site as this going through the 4 stages of grief. (or better known as"How much longer until I feel good again")

Feel free to choose the stage you find yourself at:

Denial

Depression

Anger

Acceptance

The quicker we go through them the better we will feel

Kurisu said it clear enough that the MD is dead ( without saying it )

We can...

Wait for the next ATRAC encoded, idiotically-encrypted software crippled wonder from Sony.

OR we can move on to flash based - no moving parts, drag and drop technology from more switch-on manufactures -

Bye Sony

If you aren't japanese it's impossible to understand the way they are thinking,coz even sometimes when they know that they are doing things wrong they just keep going coz like they always telling kimateru is kimateru(mean to say that if somebody made like this from the begining it supposed to be like this till the end no matter what)!In simple words-kind of idiotizm,stupidity and things like that.

My gut feeling is, that certain markets are no longer supplied with all products,

because keeping up the service and sales infrastructure is simply too expensive

in relation to the number of units sold.

And that could be the reason, why Australia doesn't get any new MD-units.

A fried who lived in Indonesia for 2 long periods ( 1 year each) pretended that MD were not sold there because humidity is too high for the sensistive equipment. Could it be so that there also in Australia are some areas with a very high humidity?