What have you just bought?

Rate this topic

mercury_in_flames

The Sale has ended already unfortunately (and I think the ones I got are back-ordered) but:

Two Seagate 250GB PATA Hard Drives for !!! $49.99 !!! each + FREE SHIPPING!!! ($99.98 total for two).

From FRYS.com

Like I said the sale has ended unfortunately, I caught it just in time. Great Deal!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought an rh1 :rofl:

I am quite happy with the purchase! I am going to use my 707 as my primary player, and as an on the go idea grabber (since I can export SP with my rh1). The Rh1 is going to be used as a loader and a recorder, and on occasion a player (when I have a long day or road trip).

Now I just need to get a good mic. I am thinking about making one. It sounds fun!

I just bought an rh1 :rofl:

I am quite happy with the purchase! I am going to use my 707 as my primary player, and as an on the go idea grabber (since I can export SP with my rh1). The Rh1 is going to be used as a loader and a recorder, and on occasion a player (when I have a long day or road trip).

Now I just need to get a good mic. I am thinking about making one. It sounds fun!

AT-822, AT-822, AT-822, AT-822, AT-822, AT-822, AT-822, AT-822, AT-822, AT-822, AT-822

not that I am biased or anything :crazy:

Well to answer the "Is this the MD Killer post "I went out and bought the MicroBR 4 track from Boss today.

My Review :

first the Bad

#1 Only 1gig Card capacity , and you have to be fairly selective about what card you put in ( doesnt agree with everything)

#2 Only converts the finished song to MP3 , Does NOT convert to Wav , ( Addendum to the owners manual corrects the previous statement about being able to do Wav . ( you get a "Card full "error message) ( this was with only 2 tracks of acoustic guitar , on a 512 mb high speed card)

#3 The final mastering of your 4 tracks can only be mixed to MP3 192kbs not 320

#4 External mic input is noisy ( even with the AT 822)

Now the Good

#1 The internal Mic doesnt sound half bad, it isnt a studio sound but for Idea catching it is quite usable

#2 The menus and effects are quite broad in scope ( 4band parametric compressor? yes I said Compressor!!!)

#3 The guitar proccessor is kikin, some serious growl for lead and other stuff , great rythym distortions too

#4 It will record straight to MP3 or Wave in the MP3 Mode( it has two modes, 4 Track , and Stereo recording) with a 512 card in Stereo mode I hit the record button and setup the levels, when I activated the recording it started counting down 5+ hours at 192 kbs .. not bad

#5 Actual sound quality is really good for demos and line in recording , the Drum patterns sound pretty good to ( although limited in function.

#6 looks cool , (Just a hair bigger than the Video iPod, and not much thicker)

#7 Runs on AA batts, ( not that the batt life is any good , ) and it has a regular DC plug , which means a standard 6 pack of AA's with a plug will run it ( been running it four hours on one so far)

#8 It looks cool,...oh yeah I said that :P The display is really cool!!

#9 in the MP3 mode it has a "Center Cancel " function to take out either Vocals or Main instrument part , plus it has a speed control for slowing down a file without changing pitch , Great for guitar students, and learning a complicated piece

The manual is in need of help , Overall it is no MD killer , not by a LONG shot , but its fun , and great for getting a song idea down quick

I sold the Micro Track 24/96 to get it ( in anticipation of the ZOOM H2) I already placed my order

Edited by Guitarfxr

Yes indeed it is. Those peculiar little funnels (over the tubes) are actually used to dissipate heat and (in theory) to prolong the life of the tubes. Personally, I don't think those funnels will dissipate much heat and I have since taken them off. :)
I didn't think they made valve amps any more, I have a friend who used to swear by them. Used to pick the amps and replacement valves up in second hand hifi shops. He used to have to let the valves warm up before using the amp. Would I be right in saying it gives out a nice warm rich sound?

I didn't think they made valve amps any more, I have a friend who used to swear by them. Used to pick the amps and replacement valves up in second hand hifi shops. He used to have to let the valves warm up before using the amp. Would I be right in saying it gives out a nice warm rich sound?

Yes, in general, the sound signature of valve amps are said to be warm and rich. But they are not overly warm so to speak. With the right set of tubes (Tube Rolling), you will usually attain very realistic soundstage. Bass, mid-range and treble presentation are generally very well-rendered. For example, deep and refined bass (not bloated), airy and open mid-range (very detail without bring overly bright) and clear treble. Naturally, it goes without saying that one needs to find the right pair of headphone for a given valve amp. In my case, I had to find the right valve amp for my SA5000.

Went to HardOff again today , and I found a Sony ECM 959a (Unused still had the original packing and Battery)for 7,500 yen. Also a Fostex Tetramix MN04 mixer for 3,500 yen

and old Sony Tape Deck WM-FX811 for 800 yen

:pleasantry:

. . . and what was it you said your addiction was?? ;o)

B)

. . . and what was it you said your addiction was?? ;o)

B)

Just tried the ECM with the RH1 , I Love the way the Plug is offset , and sits over the remote's plug then the sound is so very different from the AT-822 , they each have a different character , The ECM is very warm and doesnt get as much in the ambient whereas the AT-822 Is a little too wide sometimes.

Very happy with both though

yes that addiction , I was supposed to working on the house but I had money in my pocket , ......... :(

Yes, in general, the sound signature of valve amps are said to be warm and rich. But they are not overly warm so to speak. With the right set of tubes (Tube Rolling), you will usually attain very realistic soundstage. Bass, mid-range and treble presentation are generally very well-rendered. For example, deep and refined bass (not bloated), airy and open mid-range (very detail without bring overly bright) and clear treble. Naturally, it goes without saying that one needs to find the right pair of headphone for a given valve amp. In my case, I had to find the right valve amp for my SA5000.
Must be a pleasure to listen to. The old valve amps my friend use to have were probably made in the sixties and seventies, had a very rich and warm sound to them and the valves used to blow quite frequently. I would imagine they are not so fragile these days.

Must be a pleasure to listen to. The old valve amps my friend use to have were probably made in the sixties and seventies, had a very rich and warm sound to them and the valves used to blow quite frequently. I would imagine they are not so fragile these days.

The next time I go to Akiba I will take some pics of the Tube shop and post them

ok,, so i bought my 20th!!!! Panasonic DVD recorder in Florida;; (actually i was trying to buy the last floor model of another model too) but Target wouldn't sell it to me;; that would have been my 21st..

i can see that DVD recording is going to super-ride my MD recording soon..

now to figure out where THIS unit will go;; probably replace my LivingRoom Recorder #1 and that one will probably get hooked up to a Radio tuner so i can record an FM station at home on DVD while i listen to the same station ;; riding and cruising in my Bling/Fling Van..

Yesterday I got a Tascam 424 ( The original edition 1987/88 or so ) It had never been used ????????? The heads were as clean as a Supermodels teeth,

I dont know If I can say I "Bought it" the music store basically gave it to me 980¥ ,.... thats like 9 bucks !

It works perfectly , I am copying my " Japanese For Everyone " Tapes to MD with it, using the EQ to clean up the audio, and it sounds really good.( Not using the DBX of course)

the specs state on Line in Recording with DBX engaged you can get a S/N of 95 db , same day I find a store that actually has CR/02 Type2 tapes in stock ..... go figure

Yesterday I got a Tascam 424 ( The original edition 1987/88 or so ) It had never been used ????????? The heads were as clean as a Supermodels teeth,

I dont know If I can say I "Bought it" the music store basically gave it to me 980¥ ,.... thats like 9 bucks !

It works perfectly , I am copying my " Japanese For Everyone " Tapes to MD with it, using the EQ to clean up the audio, and it sounds really good.( Not using the DBX of course)

the specs state on Line in Recording with DBX engaged you can get a S/N of 95 db , same day I find a store that actually has CR/02 Type2 tapes in stock ..... go figure

If I send you money can you snag me some of those bargains, I love "toys" of all kinds.

Even with shipping across a couiple of ponds, could still be real steals.

TTFN

Bob

used to have one of them (gee i used to have a lot of things)..

used it a lot;; and with no DBX on..

are you sure they use CR/II XL tapes and not normal bias tapes;; maybe i am getting my machines mixed;; but yes;; made some great mixes on them (live)..

i have a few hundred COII XL blank tapes left;; not that i wanna sell them;; they just look good on my shelves in da cellar;; i like to impress the furnace repairman and the Cable Guys..

the CO-II 60 min tapes were my favorite cause they were thicker than to 90's..

If I send you money can you snag me some of those bargains, I love "toys" of all kinds.

Even with shipping across a couiple of ponds, could still be real steals.

TTFN

Bob

Just tell me what your looking for , Ill ship it, next week I will start a post with some pics.

I will call it the "S.D.T.C.S. " post

Right now the Recycle shop Hardoff , (All over Japan) is loaded with MD's and recording gear , the digital revolution has (as I have mentioned before) sparked a new case of "New Itis" There are TWO Yamaha MD 4 Track recorders for 39 dollars at this one Music store I go to . No MD Data discs to be found.

Come spend a week in Japan ,I will be the tour guide , youll have to have a seperate airplane to get stuff back.

Hey Ray , ALL the 4 trackers use type 2 tapes , if you use type 1 you'll ruin the machine and the sound will suck.Type 2 uses a harder smoother Cobalt Chromium alloy in the coating , Captures a much better signal. But the Oxides and softer coating of the type1 tapes clog the heads and magnetize the heads faster , wearing out the coils inside the Rec/Heads. I am not even supposed to playing these Japanese tapes in it , but I will get a demagger this week for the machine.

Edited by Guitarfxr

Sound like fun, any secrets on navigationg the hardoo site, or is there an engrish switch on the page?

Thanx and take care,

Bob

No No English pages yet , But they WILL take American Money (at current exchange rates , change will be in yen , smal children and dogs may be negotiated upon ,and all the tissue you need will be handed to you on the street , local fleas an taxes may apply :crazy: )

just bought a 2nd hand shuttle running a P4 2.8 & 1g ram

wacked an old ati 9200 with a heat sink not a fan & a wi-fi card.

right now i'm battling ubuntu & losing, the new 7.0.4 does not like wifi cards in general, the realtek8108's even less.

At Hardoff again today

Several LP's ( yes 12 " Vinyl )

Joe Pass , Live Montroux Jazz Festival 1977 1350¥

Steve Miller Band ,Best of (The cool blue cover with the Horse) 500¥

Styx Paradise Theater 500¥

AndesIncan Flute music preservation 850¥

Also on Laser Disc ( I have a freind converting them to DVD as I type)

The Original Uncut,Unedited Dolby Stereo NOT DTS NOT WIDE SCREEN

"Star Wars,A New Hope " 210¥

"Empire Strikes Back" 210¥

"Return Of The Jedi" 210¥

Also Bought a USB2 MO Drive that was Mac compatable (3,000¥)( I had a lot of MO disc from my Windows Machine)

So now I can Archive my pix like I want to , I prefer MO for my pix.

At Hardoff again today

Several LP's ( yes 12 " Vinyl )

Joe Pass , Live Montroux Jazz Festival 1977 1350¥

Steve Miller Band ,Best of (The cool blue cover with the Horse) 500¥

Styx Paradise Theater 500¥

AndesIncan Flute music preservation 850¥

Also on Laser Disc ( I have a freind converting them to DVD as I type)

The Original Uncut,Unedited Dolby Stereo NOT DTS NOT WIDE SCREEN

"Star Wars,A New Hope " 210¥

"Empire Strikes Back" 210¥

"Return Of The Jedi" 210¥......

like,, are these all Japanese merchancise originally with japanese printing on them or are they american items that find their way there?? (kinda like "The Bottle Theory")..

like,, are these all Japanese merchancise originally with japanese printing on them or are they american items that find their way there?? (kinda like "The Bottle Theory")..

US repakaged for Japanese Market

Columbia , CBS, They put extra Japanese Liner notes

A couple were Japanese

The Steve Miller was Original US

Edited by Guitarfxr

that's cool (phat);; how they can do that;; it's like my Japanese Pokiman (sp) CD i bought;; all in japanese but packaged in americana..

oh,, i just ordered a T-shirt through a friend on the OTHER site;; it's gonna have the square "MiniDisc" logo on it;; so i can shove the shirt up everyone's a** at the coffee shoppe..

i really wanted to buy an "I Hate I-Pod" shirt,, but they didn't have them..

Edited by rayzray

that's cool (phat);; how they can do that;; it's like my Japanese Pokiman (sp) CD i bought;; all in japanese but packaged in americana..

oh,, i just ordered a T-shirt through a friend on the OTHER site;; it's gonna have the square "MiniDisc" logo on it;; so i can shove the shirt up everyone's a** at the coffee shoppe..

i really wanted to buy an "I Hate I-Pod" shirt,, but they didn't have them..

post-63214-1219540190_thumb.jpg

I Love it, BTW, is there a way on the hardoff site to see pictures of the items, or do you need to know japanese. Maybe I've got to be a Vapour and turn japanese.

Take care

Bob

The stuff in Hardoff changes to fast for them to post pics, It is a Recycle Shop chain ( Think REALLY BIG indoor yardsale here)

Each of the Hard offs run on a different system so none of them communicate with each other , That keeeps things interesting. You will see different prices from store to store , and different items , its a big treasure hunt .

soooo,, there is no return policy;; like everything is "as is";; like a Russian Roulette Game..

can u play with the stuff for a while to see if it works??

They have two sections , The stuff they have checked out and know that it works ( that stuff does have a 3 month garauntee)

then the Junk section , which is at your own risk,

Fostex Multitracker XR5

post-58139-1221275868_thumb.jpg

Now I'll be able to get all of my old 4-track cassette tapes archived!!

The XR5 was an OK machine , Use a Lo to HI imp transformer on the mic input and it didnt sound bad at all. I like the fact that it DOES NOT have logic controls , but it has mechanical , once the logic chips go there isnt anything to do but get it fixed, but the XR5 is belts and gears , a little inginuity and you can fix it yourself ( I know I did)

How much did it cost you ?

Edited by Guitarfxr

The XR5 was an OK machine , Use a Lo to HI imp transformer on the mic input and it didnt sound bad at all. I like the fact that it DOES NOT have logic controls , but it has mechanical , once the logic chips go there isnt anything to do but get it fixed, but the XR5 is belts and gears , a little inginuity and you can fix it yourself ( I know I did)

How much did it cost you ?

I mainly just wanted something to be able to get my old 4 track cassette tapes out to my PC. The unit only cost me $39.99 so I can't complain. As I stated, I merely wanted a cassette 4 track with dedicated tape outputs to get my tapes archived. Probably won't use it often for multitrack recording, as most of my setup is now computer based.

Went to Hardoff again today. Bought a Sony CD D-NE820 Atrac,Text,MP3 Capable CD player

we (the whole family was there) Also bought two CD's

Sowelu , A new Japanese R&B Artist who is actually pretty good , and a good American group " FireHouse" Best of done Acoustically including the Original version of Seven Bridges Road( It was NOT an Eagles tune ,it was written by Firehouse)

Just a quick update , The CD player just Successfully played a cd that had become unplayable by every player in my home, Including My Macbook.

The CD in Question was Free Flight "Slice of Life" , that had been given to me by Jim Walker the Leader of the group , It has been PROPERLY digitized onto MD To NEVER AGAIN be tainted by my 12 year olds gritty fingeres( He is responsible for the CD not being playable) YAY!!!!!!!! :P

Edited by Guitarfxr

well,, i bought ANOTHER 5 Panasonic DVD-RAMs;; that brings me up to about 55 RAMS..

i usually record 3 hours of TV/Cable Music on them..

that's 165 hours of music waithing to be transferred to my CD_R's and Hi-MD's..

it's a lucious world..

oh,, i also have my 150 standard MD to do that too;; but DVD-RAMS are funner.. (with my 21 Panasonic DVD Recorders..

Edited by rayzray