1. 1. Pick the bitrate most frequently used in your Hi-MD

• 352 kbps (A3+)
    • 256 kbps (A3+)
    • 132 kbps (A3)
    • 105 kbps (A3)
    • 66 kbps (A3)
    • 64 kbps (A3+)
    • 48 kbps (A3+)

Although I only use SP I've had this question on the back of my mind. Recording the same song from a CD played through the play station 2 and recording it via optical cable to MD, will there be differences between the sound captured by two different portable recorders such as MZ-R70 and MZ-N707 (wich has 'type R') ? (both recording on SP mode of course)

The more units you have, the more you come back to MDLP and even SP

You are exactly right. I have come back to SP for the simple reason that it works on every unit I have.

BTW - I think that ended up being one of the things that contributed to the downfall of MD - too many formats and complexities in figuring out what worked with what (for average people, not us).

Although I only use SP I've had this question on the back of my mind. Recording the same song from a CD played through the play station 2 and recording it via optical cable to MD, will there be differences between the sound captured by two different portable recorders such as MZ-R70 and MZ-N707 (wich has 'type R') ? (both recording on SP mode of course)

My collection of Type R vs. Type S discussions captured from various posts on this board over many years (I did not write any of this):

"type R : only works on recording side on SP only

it's a better alogrithm to analyse the bits from ur recording source

type S : type S DOES include type R

additional thing is the improvement on playback of LP2/LP4 tracks

type S only works when u have a player that have type S and only works when playing LP2/LP4 tracks, will not works for SP tracks

main difference :

type R works at recording side

type S works both at recording side(coz it include type R) and playback side(for LP2/LP4 only)

type S claimed to produce better sound at playback side on treble part of LP2/LP4 tracks

and, type R only work in real time recording

any fast cd-->md dubbing won't have type R function

if u doubt about type R only work at real time, u can contact Sony CS representative at ur region

no, this information is hidden from ur manuals

but, if u ever contact any one in Sony who know something about MD, they will surely tell u what I've just told u

"ATRAC Type-S is just a combined, one-chip DSP for the ATRAC Type-R codec used for SP mode and the ATRAC3 codec used for MDLP modes. Supposedly, Type-S increases the SNR of LP2 and LP4 encodings by 6dB upon playback, but doesn't offer any improvement for SP encodings.""

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...