Transfer Hi-MD Data/Mp3/Atrac to PSP using USB OTG

Rate this topic

Monkbum

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I must say this is a great site for people like me who are new to the Hi-MD format. I was wondering if anyone has utilized Hi-MD's endless (not to mention cheap) data capacity as a portable carrier for PSP content on memory stick.

I was wondering how this could be achieved using a USB OTG bridge as a go between a Hi-MD unit and the PSP? In particular, the PSP relies on placement of files in specific folders (eg. MP3 in MUSIC folder), would making identical folders on a Hi-MD disc and transferring the entire contents of the Hi-MD to the PSP using the one-touch copy function of cheap USB OTG bridges actually work? :unsure: It sure beats paying an arm and a leg for Sony's Memory Stick Pro Duo card!

I guess someone needs to break out the voltimeter to look and see if the USB port on the PSP is powered? My money is on no.

Done...

The USB port itself is not powered (maybe because the PSP dosn't support USB OGT Host mode at the moment.)

However the two small holes to either side of the PSP's usb port are actually DC out connectors... I measured only 0.07V DC off them (and there's no mention of what voltage they are ment to be in Sony's docs) so I it seems to just be a low power out for small USB addons, I know the Talkman USB mic addon uses the DC power out connectors, but unless the voltage is selectable somehow I don't think it will be much help.

Thanks for the replies, a few points to clarify I think. I do not think the USB port of the PSP needs to be powered in order transfer files. I think the USB OTG bridge is used to connect 2 USB "clients" (ie.both the Hi-MD and PSP are set in client mode), the Copy button on the USB OTG bridge being used to copy from the "donor" client (Hi-MD) to the "recipient" client (PSP).

I know for a fact that PSP (at this point in time) & Hi-MD does not support USB host mode, thus the necessity of placing a "bridge" between 2 devices. If indeed the PSP in the future supports USB Host mode (there's talk of USB powered keyboards for the PSP being released which would necessitate some host capabilities?), then there would be no need for a USB OTG bridge? (although I doubt there's a mini type B to mini type B cable available that would allow me to connect the Hi-MD to the PSP directly)

The cheap USB OTG bridges I have seen only have usually a "Copy Entire Disc" or "Copy root folder" functions. There are more expensive ones which have a LCD screen that allows folder or even individual file copy. My query is, would setting up the appropriate folders on the Hi-MD (eg. MUSIC) and loading it MP3 files, then using the Copy Entire Disc feature result in the folder and contents being added appropriately to the existing MUSIC folder in the PSP? Sorry if this sounds confusing! :D

I have read somewhere that people have successfully transferred files from a Hard Disk USB OTG boxes to the PSP, just wondering if Hi-MD will do it as well.

When I'm away from home and need to free up space on a memory stick or memory stick duo for my PSP or camera etc I use my Sony Memory Card Reader for Hi-MD (MCMD-R1).

Works great

Does the Sony Card reader allow transfer the other way? (ie. from Hi-MD to Memory Stick). I find the biggest downfall of the PSP is the limited size of the memory available. I have a 1 gig card, and these only allow for one (or two) movies at the quality I desire. The 2 gig cards are still too expensive. Using Hi-MD is an inexpensive way to carry more data when I am away for long, if indeed it can be done. The PSP is quite specific about where types of files go in the root directory of the memory stick, there's no point in transferring if it can't be read! Wish Sony would make some sort of file explorer application for the PSP which would allow files to be moved between folders, at the moment it's a pain if I am away from the PC and not being able to manage the files on my PSP!

Does the Sony Card reader allow transfer the other way? (ie. from Hi-MD to Memory Stick). I find the biggest downfall of the PSP is the limited size of the memory available. I have a 1 gig card, and these only allow for one (or two) movies at the quality I desire. The 2 gig cards are still too expensive. Using Hi-MD is an inexpensive way to carry more data when I am away for long, if indeed it can be done. The PSP is quite specific about where types of files go in the root directory of the memory stick, there's no point in transferring if it can't be read! Wish Sony would make some sort of file explorer application for the PSP which would allow files to be moved between folders, at the moment it's a pain if I am away from the PC and not being able to manage the files on my PSP!

I've heard murmurs of the Apacer Steno range being good for what you want. Never tried it tho.

According to the manual for the Sony MCMD-R1, the copy seems to be one-way only (from flash to MD).

Also, according to the manual, they seem to specifically mention alkaline batteries (and no mention of rechargeables). I'm unsure if that means you can't use rechargeables? Would be really stupid if you couldn't. Battery life is not hot on this thing, so I guess they only recommend them for semi-decent life before they run down, as opposed to batts with less oomph? Hi-MD is *really* slow at transfers, so a full 1GB would take quite a while to fill - sucking down the battery in no time while doing so.

The manual states:

Data can be copied about 20 times with a general 128MB Memory Stick using an alkali dry battery made by Sony.

Hmm.

Sony MCMD-R1 manual:

http://www.css.ap.sony.com/consumer/Fn/IMS...ersonal%20Audio

Apacer Steno products:

http://www.apacer.com/en/products/Multimedia_Storage.htm